Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is there more bad than good in this world

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Feeling really down at the moment - my past still gets me down and feel let down by everyone.

I am not working at the moment after a period of redundancy but that doesn't bother me so much. The problem is I have a lot of free time at the moment and my mind is constantly going over the past which I know is wrong. I have fought off depression in the past but its getting me down and cant pick myself up.

I have tried so hard with everything in life especically people but have ended up quite alone even in marriage. There isnt much that really interests me - I don't have the zest that I had previously as always been fighting to prove myself and that sapped all my energy. Anti depressants isnt a solution and intend to see a counsellor.

What really upsets me is that having going through an awful ordeal that there was no one there for me and still after all this time there is still this incredible loneliness. Even one person would have been so wonderful. I certainly would have tried to helped someone in my situation. I did try to open up which was difficult but people were unsympathetic which is sad reflection on society

I now do not have faith in people which doesn't help as been treated so badly by everyone and often isolated for no reason. Do you feel it is sometimes you against the world which is a horrible feeling to have as you feel insecure. Unfortunately, going into any situation with this fear makes you particularly vulnerable and anxious. Does anyone else feel this way.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There was a quote i once read which said more or less - Before diagnosing yourself with depression make sure you aren't surrounded by ********s.

Keep you chin up. (Easier said than done, i know)

And to answer your question about good and bad in the world. It's all relative, some things are bad for some and are good for others. Absolute evil, and absolute good doesn't exist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    O thirstysailor, you are correct insofar as 'good' and 'evil' aren't objectifiable, and we should reject any system which claims there is one (*cough*Abrahamicism*cough*), but a Confucian or Utilitarian philosophy allows for this.

Jim100, if you are truly depressed, then do see a counsellor, but it seems that you are making poor company as it is. There are plenty of undeniably pleasant people in the world, and in my experience they don't even require seeking. Best of luck for the future in all respects.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Life is tough, so what?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is good and bad is rather subjective.

For example stuff like 9/11 and the London bombings . . . most Westerners consider them an aweful thing and the people that did them disgusting. BUT to members of al-quieda etc, the people who did them are saviours and heros etc etc etc and are saving the world from stupid and wrong non-islamic views and traditions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)

For example stuff like 9/11 and the London bombings . . . most Westerners consider them an aweful thing and the people that did them disgusting. BUT to members of al-quieda etc, the people who did them are saviours and heros etc etc etc and are saving the world from stupid and wrong non-islamic views and traditions.
    What non-Islamic traditions does the West have? I don't recall one of those on the calendar or on the village meeting notice boards.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    All sorts of things like; homosexuality, drinking alcohol, eating pork, scantily dressed women, the list goes on . . .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this world, people take good for granted, it rarely makes the news and you are not aware of it - most great people are not famous or well known

but bad situations are usually publicized and it always makes the news and those people become infamous and well known

Thats the way our world works and the soon you understand the sooner you move on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subjective i find that with most people I meet no matter how bad or bitchy they are maybe everybody has some good in them
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Humans have the ability to be good, the social structure we live in encourages and rewards greed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    What non-Islamic traditions does the West have? I don't recall one of those on the calendar or on the village meeting notice boards.
    Do they allow Internet use in your secure unit? you read like a sociopath.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Humans have the ability to be good, the social structure we live in encourages and rewards greed.
    good and bad don't exist. Who can say otherwise?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_stanting)
    good and bad don't exist. Who can say otherwise?
    Nothing exists beyond human perceptions - if humans recognise love then it exists. If we feel hate then it exists.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both are indefinable, so cataloguing them makes no sense.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)

I would say good and bad is a bit objective when referring to the ethics of actions, yet a bit subjective in terms of significance of actions i.e. one action may appear more significant than another, but a different person would think differently.

What about giving spare money to charity for example?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look beyond 'good' and 'bad' and see the world for what it really is and set yourself free.

'It’s considered good to be beautiful, but many people through being beautiful have ruined their lives and the lives of others. It’s considered bad to be unattractive, but because of being unattractive, many have come to concern themselves with matters more important than surface appearance and have gone on to make something Special of themselves – in quite a few cases becoming Beautiful in the process. It’s considered good to be healthy and strong, but many energetic people lose their health and strength by taking what they have for granted, not knowing what it’s like to be old and depleted – and therefore not taking care of themselves – until it’s Too Late. It’s considered bad to be ill and weak, but many have responded to such conditions by examining their lives and changing their ways of doing things thereby building up their health and strength to remarkable degrees. Unattractiveness, illness, and weakness have many valuable lessons to teach to those willing to learn from them.'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Didnt think that through did you.

Simply put the majority of "the west" are non-islam cultures, hence their traditions are non-islamic.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have felt where you are, though for different reasons it has manifested itself similarly.

Those saying 'life is tough, get on with it' or anything else completely miss the point. I'm sure the OP - and I for sure did anyway - are aware that life is tough, that things need to be got on with, and that people have it a lot worse than we did, however you define worse. But depression, which is what this surely is, is not an illness easily got over by accepting life is rubbish, or good, or that it could be worse.

I'd like to suggest to the OP to read some Nietzsche (Beyond Good and Evil). And see a counsellor. Not all counsellors are right so don't tie yourself to one. That book and counselling helped me through a particularly difficult time where I didn't even get out of bed for 2 days; I never felt so low before or since and I hope it never comes back.

Also, to make this more relevant, no, there is not more bad than good or the opposite. I for sure see everything as bad, but I'm aware someone else will see the same thing as good. As others have already said, it's relative.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad and Good are valued judgements, they mean nothing objectively.

Consider the Ying Yang, which says that while there is good and there is bad there is always some good in bad and some bad in good. The eye of the beholder is what dictates the value of the judgement of what is bad and what is good.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.