Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Make Up

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    EVERYONE without exception can be improved by wearing make-up. Also make-up (contrary to popular belief) when used properly is good for your skin because good quality foundations contain spf. People who NEVER wear make-up tend to end up with a face like an old boot. .
    I don't object to most of your views about make-up, that's up to you, but the face like an old boot comment is ridiculous. Using a moisturiser with spf would be infinitely preferable to wearing make-up to protect your skin, because whilst some make-up contains spf or minerals, all of the other stuff it contains on top of that isn't doing anything good for your skin.

If you get annoyed with people going on about looking natural and attacking others who do wear make-up, why then turn around and do the same thing by attacking those who choose not to with these kinds of silly, unfounded comments?

Your notion of everyone being improved by make-up is just your opinion, it's not a fact. Some people wouldn't see the addition of something which is fake as an improvement on something that is natural, that in many people's eyes is all the more beautiful because it is natural.

I'm not saying make-up is bad, but it's not necessarily good either, it depends on your point of view.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks...

To be honest I just put it on as a daily routine sort of thing... I'd rather go without my morning shower than go without make up and that's seriously saying something. I don't really know why anyone would voluntarily let people see them without make up on :/
    Erm, that I can't really agree with tbh :o:. I couldn't ever go without my morning shower, I'd just feel ick :o:. More power to you though :yy:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that if it gives people more confidence and makes them feel better about themselves, then it's a good thing. I personally wear makeup to disguise a medical condition, and it works very well, and now I wouldn't leave the house without it, although it isn't excessive.

However, if it's abused by often already overconfident duckface girls, maybe a little tone down wouldn't go amiss
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I don't object to most of your views about make-up, that's up to you, but the face like an old boot comment is ridiculous. Using a moisturiser with spf would be infinitely preferable to wearing make-up to protect your skin, because whilst some make-up contains spf or minerals, all of the other stuff it contains on top of that isn't doing anything good for your skin.

If you get annoyed with people going on about looking natural and attacking others who do wear make-up, why then turn around and do the same thing by attacking those who choose not to with these kinds of silly, unfounded comments?

Your notion of everyone being improved by make-up is just your opinion, it's not a fact. Some people wouldn't see the addition of something which is fake as an improvement on something that is natural, that in many people's eyes is all the more beautiful because it is natural.

I'm not saying make-up is bad, but it's not necessarily good either, it depends on your point of view.
    Well it's nice to appreciate natural beauty and someone can have a beautiful face but you can still see natural beauty when somebody is wearing natural make-up and you just don't see things like uneven skin tone, any odd little spots or blemishes etc.

I'm not attacking anybody I'm just saying that they aren't doing themselves any good by not wearing make-up.

They could use moisturiser with spf in it but that also contains a lot of things that are man made and therefore 'fake' and a lot of young women especially teenage girls don't actually need moisturiser and it will make their faces too oily and shiny.

I also think it helps to have spf in something that you can actually see. If you're having a long day and your make-up starts wearing off in the afternoon then many girls/women would reapply some of it but I don't know anyone who takes face moisturiser with them wherever they go.

There are creams that aren't moisturisers that contain spfs but doing a quick google they all seem to be aimed at a much higher age group and contain anti wrinkle stuff which bumps the price up and isn't at all necessary until you at least hit your 30s. Unless of course you want to wear sun cream on your face every day which seems a little excessive and I think you'd probably end up with a vitamin D deficiency if you did that.

I personally find that foundation protects my skin and that isn't something that I've ever found from any kind of fancy face cream. All of my grans friends who say they've never worn foundation are far more wrinkled than the ones who do, including her. She's 81 and she's been wearing it every day for about 60 years I think and her skin is amazing, she's got hardly any wrinkles at all! Her friend who has just turned 60 was saying she's never worn foundation in her life and that she just wears face creams and she's covered in wrinkles.

My mum and her friend who are around the same age have worn foundation every day since they were about 13/14 and one of their friends whose a bit of a hippy and doesn't bother with it looks far older than them despite being younger.

What I'm trying to say is that pretty much everything we have and do is fake because nearly everything is man made. We weren't biologically designed to wear clothes for instance. Do you think that everybody looks better naked? We weren't biologically designed to live as long as we do and I highly doubt we were ever meant to live in the cold climates that we do. Can you imagine walking around naked in an English winter?

When considering these factors we can't really expect our skin to be amazing just the way it is when we're already defying nature just by living in England to what is now considered a reasonable age. The rest of our body is protected from the elements by clothes yet our faces where our skin is much thinner are always on show. It's common sense and logic to see the benefits of protecting our faces with make-up.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Erm, that I can't really agree with tbh :o:. I couldn't ever go without my morning shower, I'd just feel ick :o:. More power to you though :yy:
    No it's definitely a tough choice I think.. I'd feel seriously gross without my shower but probably slightly less gross than I'd feel with no make-up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it's nice to appreciate natural beauty and someone can have a beautiful face but you can still see natural beauty when somebody is wearing natural make-up and you just don't see things like uneven skin tone, any odd little spots or blemishes etc.

I'm not attacking anybody I'm just saying that they aren't doing themselves any good by not wearing make-up.

They could use moisturiser with spf in it but that also contains a lot of things that are man made and therefore 'fake' and a lot of young women especially teenage girls don't actually need moisturiser and it will make their faces too oily and shiny.

I also think it helps to have spf in something that you can actually see. If you're having a long day and your make-up starts wearing off in the afternoon then many girls/women would reapply some of it but I don't know anyone who takes face moisturiser with them wherever they go.

There are creams that aren't moisturisers that contain spfs but doing a quick google they all seem to be aimed at a much higher age group and contain anti wrinkle stuff which bumps the price up and isn't at all necessary until you at least hit your 30s. Unless of course you want to wear sun cream on your face every day which seems a little excessive and I think you'd probably end up with a vitamin D deficiency if you did that.

I personally find that foundation protects my skin and that isn't something that I've ever found from any kind of fancy face cream. All of my grans friends who say they've never worn foundation are far more wrinkled than the ones who do, including her. She's 81 and she's been wearing it every day for about 60 years I think and her skin is amazing, she's got hardly any wrinkles at all! Her friend who has just turned 60 was saying she's never worn foundation in her life and that she just wears face creams and she's covered in wrinkles.

My mum and her friend who are around the same age have worn foundation every day since they were about 13/14 and one of their friends whose a bit of a hippy and doesn't bother with it looks far older than them despite being younger.

What I'm trying to say is that pretty much everything we have and do is fake because nearly everything is man made. We weren't biologically designed to wear clothes for instance. Do you think that everybody looks better naked? We weren't biologically designed to live as long as we do and I highly doubt we were ever meant to live in the cold climates that we do. Can you imagine walking around naked in an English winter?

When considering these factors we can't really expect our skin to be amazing just the way it is when we're already defying nature just by living in England to what is now considered a reasonable age. The rest of our body is protected from the elements by clothes yet our faces where our skin is much thinner are always on show. It's common sense and logic to see the benefits of protecting our faces with make-up.
    Make-up is not intended to protect our faces. I would argue that the reason that the people you know who have worn make-up most of their lives look "better" now is that they are more likely to have a general interest in looking after their skin with a proper routine with moisturiser, cleanser, reduced sun exposure etc. due to being arguably more interested in how they look than someone who has never worn make-up would be.

It's not necessarily the make-up itself that has made the difference, especially as you're arguing that your gran looks better because of foundation - did foundation 60, 50, 40 years ago even contain the spf and minerals that are good for your skin that you're talking about!?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be left to the individual as to whether they want to wear make-up or not. I wear foundation and blusher or bronzer nearly every day because it makes me feel more confident. If I haven't had time to do my make-up then I don't worry, and I do let friends and boys see me without make-up but I don't feel good about myself if I don't have it on.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Make-up is not intended to protect our faces. I would argue that the reason that the people you know who have worn make-up most of their lives look "better" now is that they are more likely to have a general interest in looking after their skin with a proper routine with moisturiser, cleanser, reduced sun exposure etc. due to being arguably more interested in how they look than someone who has never worn make-up would be.

It's not necessarily the make-up itself that has made the difference, especially as you're arguing that your gran looks better because of foundation - did foundation 60, 50, 40 years ago even contain the spf and minerals that are good for your skin that you're talking about!?
    People who don't wear make-up obviously aren't taking any pride in their appearance so yeah I agree with you there but some people genuinely think that wearing the right face creams makes them look better than wearing make-up and they still seem to wrinkle up like old raisins. It's probably worth mentioning that my Gran doesn't have a skin routine and I highly doubt she ever has.

Older women in particular need face creams AND foundation. It's good to get into the habits at a young age though.

I highly doubt that foundation contained half the good stuff that it does now which is even more reason for people to wear it now because if it worked years ago then with all the added goodies like spf and minerals then it should be even more effective.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People who don't wear make-up obviously aren't taking any pride in their appearance so yeah I agree with you there but some people genuinely think that wearing the right face creams makes them look better than wearing make-up and they still seem to wrinkle up like old raisins. It's probably worth mentioning that my Gran doesn't have a skin routine and I highly doubt she ever has.

Older women in particular need face creams AND foundation. It's good to get into the habits at a young age though.

I highly doubt that foundation contained half the good stuff that it does now which is even more reason for people to wear it now because if it worked years ago then with all the added goodies like spf and minerals then it should be even more effective.
    Although I agreed with many of your points, and personally wear make up myself, you have become unnecessarily judgmental in your posts. Girls who don't wear makeup do not typically take little to no pride in their appearance. Being well groomed does not have to include a face full of make up.

I can think of a number of reasons why women may not want to wear makeup. Firstly, it's costly (decent makeup is not cheap) and secondly it's time consuming. Thirdly, there are many women who feel that women in society are constantly under pressure to look good, and our self esteem is constantly under attack because that's how the beauty industry MAKES MONEY. Also, men don't have to enhance themselves to the excessive lengths that we do. So many women (quite rightly so) feel it is unfair and will not give into societies harsh standards. And lastly, for some women, wearing makeup is simply uncomfortable.

You want to wear makeup everyday? Cool beans, you do that, but don't start judging and telling other women that they SHOULD wear makeup because that's ridiculous. To each their own. Oh, I know plenty of women who don't wear makeup who have marvelous complexions. A healthy lifestyle can work wonders.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmintyx)
    Although I agreed with many of your points, and personally wear make up myself, you have become unnecessarily judgmental in your posts. Girls who don't wear makeup do not typically take little to no pride in their appearance. Being well groomed does not have to include a face full of make up.

I can think of a number of reasons why women may not want to wear makeup. Firstly, it's costly (decent makeup is not cheap) and secondly it's time consuming. Thirdly, there are many women who feel that women in society are constantly under pressure to look good, and our self esteem is constantly under attack because that's how the beauty industry MAKES MONEY. Also, men don't have to enhance themselves to the excessive lengths that we do. So many women (quite rightly so) feel it is unfair and will not give into societies harsh standards. And lastly, for some women, wearing makeup is simply uncomfortable.

You want to wear makeup everyday? Cool beans, you do that, but don't start judging and telling other women that they SHOULD wear makeup because that's ridiculous. To each their own. Oh, I know plenty of women who don't wear makeup who have marvelous complexions. A healthy lifestyle can work wonders.
    Well there are so many threads on here that are full of people going on about how terrible things like fake tan look and how horrendous the TOWIE girls look (when I actually think most of them look undeniably gorgeous, fake or not). Other people don't seem to mind promoting ignorant views about make-up and giving us who love it a bad name by going around saying that fake tan looks awful and makes people go orange.

Me saying that I think women SHOULD wear make up is my personal opinion. There's a lot of pressure on men to make money to support us and I don't think any of us are likely to complain about having a husband who is too successful so why shouldn't we feel obliged to look good? I want a successful career too but I just wouldn't want my future husband to have to walk around with a wrinkly troll on his arm. Some people might think that's an unhealthy view but I'm just being realistic. Looks DO matter and I wouldn't want to be with someone who just wants me solely for what's inside and all that crap. When I want to meet someone it's important to me that he actually finds me attractive and appreciates the effort that I make!

You don't have to spend an awful lot of money on make-up in order to look 100 times better than you would without it. The foundation I use most days is revlon photo ready (spf 20) and it's only £12-£13 a bottle and lasts a good couple of months. I probably spend about 10-15 mins max doing my make-up which is much less time than I spend showering and drying myself. Since everyone looks better with foundation and the spf in it stops you getting wrinkles at a young age.. I don't really see why any woman who takes pride in her appearance wouldn't wear it.

I'm not judging anybody. I'm just making realistic observations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well there are so many threads on here that are full of people going on about how terrible things like fake tan look and how horrendous the TOWIE girls look (when I actually think most of them look undeniably gorgeous, fake or not). Other people don't seem to mind promoting ignorant views about make-up and giving us who love it a bad name by going around saying that fake tan looks awful and makes people go orange.

Me saying that I think women SHOULD wear make up is my personal opinion. There's a lot of pressure on men to make money to support us and I don't think any of us are likely to complain about having a husband who is too successful so why shouldn't we feel obliged to look good? I want a successful career too but I just wouldn't want my future husband to have to walk around with a wrinkly troll on his arm. Some people might think that's an unhealthy view but I'm just being realistic. Looks DO matter and I wouldn't want to be with someone who just wants me solely for what's inside and all that crap. When I want to meet someone it's important to me that he actually finds me attractive and appreciates the effort that I make!

You don't have to spend an awful lot of money on make-up in order to look 100 times better than you would without it. The foundation I use most days is revlon photo ready (spf 20) and it's only £12-£13 a bottle and lasts a good couple of months. I probably spend about 10-15 mins max doing my make-up which is much less time than I spend showering and drying myself. Since everyone looks better with foundation and the spf in it stops you getting wrinkles at a young age.. I don't really see why any woman who takes pride in her appearance wouldn't wear it.

I'm not judging anybody. I'm just making realistic observations.
    :facepalm2:

You ARE judging other people when you make the comment 'I don't really see why any woman who takes pride in her appearance wouldn't wear it'. And sorry, ten or thirteen quid for a bottle of foundation isn't cheap. We're not all rolling in money these days :rolleyes: OBLIGATED to be attractive to men? Because they're the 'successful' ones and we're the arm candy? Are you living in the 1920s?

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't put pressure on my boyfriend to be successful for MY benefit (despite the fact that's he Japanese and they're renowned for working long hours under immense pressure). Why? Because I care for his well being! As he does mine! Equally, so long as I'm well groomed and healthy, I don't feel like I have to ensure I look like Barbie for him everyday. I agree, you want to remain attractive to your partner, that's fine (attraction is a part of romance), but woe betide you if you should ever suffer a facial disfigurement if you place too much importance on your outer appearance (or indeed, your partner does).

I understand the frustration you feel when self righteous makeup free women criticize women for wearing makeup. However, you're doing the very same thing, just in reverse! Stop judging and telling women how to look, yeesh.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.