The Student Room Group

Hertfordshire Adult Nursing 2012

Scroll to see replies

hi

I'm already at university studying nursing at the universiyt of birmingham! just thought I'd help you guys give a great interview

when you're there
- dress smart/casual
- smile and be polite! (hello my name is blah, how are you?)
- try not to be too nervous but just say "sorry i'm a bit nervous" if you're really bricking it

answering questions
Interview:
1.Why do you want to do Adult nursing?
I want to do nursing because I love being able to do things physically (i.e. wash patients and give medication - its VERY physcially demanding)! I love being able to interact with people. I know the course is 50% theory and 50% placement because of the NMC guidelines (KNOW YOUR Nursing and Midwifery Council codes of conduct - if you mention them and know what you're talking about they'll have you there and then) I still think that I am able to cope with the theory because I like to think of myself as academic (show off lovely a level results) I'm able to cope with short deadlines and working at the same time (say how wonderful you are at your job and/or volunteer work)

2. What is the role of a nurse?
this comes up ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME in assignments and its so repetitive, basically the role of a nurse is to:
- be an adovcate for those in their care (see nmc codes of conduct - seriously get the booklet its free if you get it sent to your house, maybe take it with you as something to talk about?)
- promote healthy living
- help those in healthcare settings and in the comunity (schools, GP surgeries - public health nurse work)
- be a researcher (to research new and better ways to care)
- to engage in a professional theraputic relationship (name drop the word theraputic relationship and know its meaning, they'll love it)
- to be a skillful and knowledgeable proffesional (SKILLS SKILLS SKILLS constantly learning new skills either in communication or physical or how to deal with emotional stuff yourself i.e. dying patients)

3. How do you handle conflict when there is one?
If there is an incident, it is the duty of the nurse to document it and report it to someone in higher authority. If there was conflict between patients it is another duty of the nurse to calm the situation down because it could conflict with the patients care - increase blood pressure. As a student nurse you will still have to document the situation and talk to your personal mentor from the university and placement practice manager.

4.what do you do if someone refuses treatment?
ask if anythings wrong? - if they have worries or concerns that you could help address, however not pressure them in anyway into taking the treatment, because you have to respect their decision whether you think its right or wrong yourself

5. how do you manage stress or cope with university?
Even thought I know I am able to emotionally and physically deal with the stress of student nurse lifestyle (which trust me its hell) I know of student support (KNOW WHAT THEIR STUDENT SUPPORT PLAN IS FOR STESS MANAGEMENT) and other supportive groups (which are?). I feel I have good relatoinships with my family and my friends and I know I can always talk to them about general university stresses. But I also know that if i am ever in a place where stress is too much or I have a big concern about my health or safety I can talk to my tutor about the situation and ask for advice and guidenece.

just ask if you need anymore help! x
Did any of you guys get asked for the second reference? this put me bit into worrying ? and why do you think they would ask for reference again?
Reply 22
Oooh I can join this thread!

I firmed my Hertfordshire offer so if all goes well I should be joining you in September!

Undecided about where I'll be living at the mo, depends on the money situation.

Any other mature students here? (I'm 25)
Reply 23
Reply 24
Hi Ellen!!
Where are u from??
I am a matute student as well ... And i will be travelling from essex!!
Xx
Reply 25
Hellooooooo :smile:

Yes I have firmed hertfordshire too! Can't wait for September. Has anyone applied for halls. I am not sure where to apply! So confused :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by miss_limbu
Did any of you guys get asked for the second reference? this put me bit into worrying ? and why do you think they would ask for reference again?

They mentioned after the interview that I will be needing a second refrence but they havnt contacted me :O

Did they contact you after the offer?
Reply 27
Hello - I'm Ben, I'll be off to Herts in September to study Adult Nursing too! Would be great to get to know people before September - I set this up a little while ago - please join us :biggrin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/407089439315177/
Original post by 182blink
They mentioned after the interview that I will be needing a second refrence but they havnt contacted me :O

Did they contact you after the offer?

I went on the 18th for interview but they have not contacted me. its been over two weeks. The girl i met on the interview day, she got contacted this tuesday.
Reply 29
Original post by bellapires
Hi Ellen!!
Where are u from??
I am a matute student as well ... And i will be travelling from essex!!
Xx

Hi! My name is Faye :smile: Sorry only just saw your reply.
I'm from Herts so if I decided to commute I wouldn't have to travel far. Where in Essex are you? :smile:
Reply 30
Hello all, I applied to study Adult Nursing at Hertfordshire, has anyone been for interview? if yes, how was it like? thanks in advance.
Reply 31
hey all, i have decided to go hertfordshire too. see you all there :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Rama2
Hello all, I applied to study Adult Nursing at Hertfordshire, has anyone been for interview? if yes, how was it like? thanks in advance.

hey, my interview was on january. The tests are quiet easy but i found maths hard. The people that interviewed me were two women and they were really nice. I was nervous at first but as soon as you just be yourself and answer their questions, you will be fine. the questions are as usual- Why do you want to be a Nurse? Have you got any experiences like you can talk about your placement in care home or nursery if you have one? and be interested when they are asking questions and don't forget to smile. hope my answer was helpful. take care
Reply 33

hey, did you hear from them?
Reply 34
Hi! I'm not doing adult nursing but I'll be studying children's nursing at Hertfordshire. I thought I'd say hi anyway!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tinapaija
hey, did you hear from them?

Ya i got the offer. i heard from them exactly after 3 weeks and 1 day extra, that was a long wait. Competition is getting high now.
I am not sure if i wanna go this year. I will post it here if i am going.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Ya i got the offer. i heard from them exactly after 3 weeks and 1 day extra, that was a long wait. Competition is getting high now.
I am not sure if i wanna go this year. I will post it here if i am going.

Are you going to defer for next year ?
Original post by Rama2

Did you go for your interview. Check out the previous page, there are list of questions that some of us posted. Goodluck
Original post by kellyyy
Are you going to defer for next year ?

Yeah! something like that. There are some cool girls (I don't get along) from my college joining Hertfordshire this year.
hello:biggrin: i've just accepted my interview at herts for adult nursing .and now i'm nervous about it...:s-smilie:

Quick Reply