Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Feeling the need to force your beliefs on others

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure about the other religions, but I know that in Christianity, we are asked to spread the word and preach to other people, it makes sense because if people aren't told about it, they they aren't going to know.

The only problem is that the Bible hasn't really said the ways in which to do this, so people become rude and start forcing their beliefs on other people. Telling them they will go to hell, using the stick approach instead of the carrot basically. Personally, I hate when that happens as well because they portray the religion in such a judgmental and "list of rules" kind of fashion, when it really isn't, and it's off putting to so many people, meaning less people want to listen, which makes them more prone to shouting it. It's a vicious circle really.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone becomes an athiest when you touch their genitals.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxjubixox)
    Does anyone else share my hate for people who do this?

Whatever religion you are a part of, or in fact if you're an atheist or believe in the church of the flying spaghetti monster... It's not right, in my opinion, to preach your ways.

Sure, by all means discuss your reasons, debates and arguments in a civilized manner. I love a healthy and intelligent discussion about the matter, but why endeavor to force everyone else in to your way of thinking?

You are happy believing what you believe in, why can't you realize that other people are too?

I bring this up for two reasons, which have been particularly annoying recently.

1) A preacher in my local high street, shouting loudly how everybody was a sinner and was going to hell. Just...ARGH.

2) A girl, from my old school, posting all these religious posts on facebook. I'm an atheist and have no problem with people who are religious at all. But this girl FLOODS my news feed with posts about how amazing god is, and not only that, but stuff about how she hopes those who don't believe can some day be "saved", and how we only need to open a bible to "kill the devil".

It annoys me. I was just wondering, if you do this.. WHY?!?!?
    Is this not your ways? Why you preach them now?

like most people who feel this way, you are confusing 'force' for 'just talking'.
    'Force' is not talking. Rather having a gun to your head and being told to accept or die. that is force. To have a law in place to regulate or even discourage speech against your own or in some manner to please yourself: is force. To stalk you and/or rush your home to tell you the good word or any word is force...but not being within legal rights on private property or on public property.

For a religion (or any group) to have a presence (free expression: talk, walk -metaphorically speaking) in society is not to be forceful. The best means in expression -especially when happy about it- is to show it.

People show their cars, their muscles, their 'intelligence', all the time and feel compel to share. if they are so happy, you may be so happy.

so the next time your so annoyed, why not just ask the person to not talk to you. tell them, "you're not interested." may be surprised that the majority will leave (or take your motion into consideration and do or talk about something else).

For the girl on facebook. you can control what you see, so just hide updates from her. Don't blame her for just doing what everyone else does; flood facebook with personal stuff. you are not being 'forced' to see it.

Preacher, look at it this way. He is so concerned for a stranger's well being that he's willing to try anything within his limited ability to spread what he finds to be good/happy/helpful.

Better yet, let his own actions be a testimony to the freedom you have in your country. If the preacher goes; you'll find some other things you do under careful eyes.

To explain a perspective; there are two things to understand.

1. your neighbor is in a burning house, will you save him/her/them?
    I, maybe you, and maybe most others would do something. anything. well a life of sin is a house on fire.

2. like gravity, space, and atoms; there are some things that are simply present...."laws". what is good or bad is always good or bad.

that help?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akinfenwa)
    He's right you know, wearing shorts or a T-shirt are tell tale signs that you are a disgusting sex craving prostitute who deserves to burn in hell for eternity.

All knowing powerful beings have good reason for punishing you if you wear them.
    I think that he was actually pointing out that hell, if it exists, is hotter than the ambient temperatures experienced on Earth...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalfever)
    I'm an irreligious weak-theist... Turn me? :sexface:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    I'm an irreligious weak-theist... Turn me? :sexface:
    With great pleasure.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum once got annoyed at her friend who kept preaching about her religon, and the friend put it like "imagine if my house was on fire, and you were trying to warn me, but I refused to acknowledge it .. that's how I feel in the face of your atheism."
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Whatever religion you are a part of, or in fact if you're an atheist or believe in the church of the flying spaghetti monster... It's not right, in my opinion, to preach your ways.

Sure, by all means discuss your reasons, debates and arguments in a civilised manner. I love a healthy and intelligent discussion about the matter, but why endeavour to force everyone else in to your way of thinking?

You are happy believing what you believe in, why can't you realise that other people are too?

I bring this up for two reasons, which have been particularly annoying recently.

1) A preacher in my local high street, shouting loudly how everybody was a sinner and was going to hell. Just...ARGH.

2) A girl, from my old school, posting all these religious posts on facebook. I'm an atheist and have no problem with people who are religious at all. But this girl FLOODS my news feed with posts about how amazing god is, and not only that, but stuff about how she hopes those who don't believe can some day be "saved", and how we only need to open a bible to "kill the devil".

It annoys me. I was just wondering, if you do this.. WHY?!?!?
    Oh god, I have a guy like this on facebook. Pretty much every status: "God is amazing"
    "What a nice day, god is AMAZING" "made such a good dinner, thank you god!!!" (because god obviously has nothing better to do than to make sure people have nice dinners :facepalm2:)
    The funny thing is, that whenever something goes wrong, he never talks about god, and also, he never talks about god in person???
    It was so annoying, I met him and he seemed great, he added me on facebook, I thought he'd be a laugh and all I get is is bible verses!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I just love debating raving religious lunatics

that's one of the reasons I am on this forum
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can turn people atheist by touching them?

Witch! :mob:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well atheists are the worst offenders. A religious person might mention god but the atheists will jump in with "you're imaginary guy in the sky...religion is for the stupid...blah blah". Saying you don't believe in god is one thing, but going beyond that in an aggressive way and calling people backwards is stuffing your (lack of religion) down other people's throats in my opinion. It's the equivalent of a religious person saying you're going to burn in hell. In reality, that's said rarely and by a few, whereas the atheists are more aggressive in getting their point across usually in a "smarter than tho" manner. Just look at TSR. The atheists are the worst offenders of shoving their beliefs in everyone's face as though they are somehow on neutral, unbiased ground and speaking from the only voice of common sense and reason. Yeah right (!)

For a group that claims not to believe in God, you sure spend a lot of time discussing him.

/end generalisation
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am confused, are people saying that freedom of speech is a magical right that allows people to force me to hear them? Why is that freedom more important than the freedom of others to not listen to you. Anyone who thinks those who do not want to listen should move, the argument "those who want to say it should move" is equally valid so both are non statements.

Freedom of speech is not what people here seem to think, you have no automatic rights under freedom of speech to preach and/or talk where ever the hell you want, to whoever you want, about what you want just because you damn well want to.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Freedom of speech is more important than the inconvenience of listening to a ranting lunatic in the street or having to block someone's facebook feeds.

There's a man that stands round my university with a placard with a placard saying that gays and people who have sex before marriage are going to hell. Should he be allowed to do so? Of course. Should he be mocked for doing so? Of course. Freedom of speech is the freedom to say things people don't like.
    This... so much this. Freedom of speech is so much more important. Let them preach. Sure it's annoying but then again just ignore them. It's what I always do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    you can turn people atheist by touching them?

Witch! :mob:
    I am. I do admit.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am. I do admit.
    Awesome.

Can't really judge myself, I deliberately sin as much as possible to offset all the religious peoples work. :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.