Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A question for those who appreciate good music

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which song is better?
    Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
    54.32%
    Hotel California - The Eagles
    45.68%

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    I'm talking about real music, and want the opinions of people who listen to this kinda music. The lyrics of real music actually have meaning, the music comes together from several different instruments which are all played by the actual band members as opposed to stand in musicians who are there to make the solo artist good and stand aside while the artist gets the limelight and big money.

Justin Bieber has talent, but he's been completely pimped out to appeal to young girls and make a ton of money. The lyrics are written for him, the songs are composed for him; all he has to do is sing it. I prefer it when musicians actually care about what they produce, rather than the end result of what they've produced. So much more talent, time and effort has gone into it and that's what I appreciate.
    http://www.unconservatory.org/articles/smartpeople.html

You can take your obviously highly nuanced appreciation of 'real music' made with 'talent, time and effort' and shove it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stairway. Not that I dislike HC but it's not in the same league.

Had you put Freebird there instead then I would have had a much harder decision to make!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go for Hotel California, though in general I prefer Led Zeppelin.

Both amazing songs though, hard choice!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And... Its a tie!! (so far at least!)

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which song is better? Both big classics, just wondering peoples' opinions.

'Stairway to Heaven' by Led Zeppelin OR 'Hotel California' - The Eagles

I love old music, I really can't appreciate today's stuff in the same manner. I love both of these songs but I'm finding it hard to pick between them. I'm tending towards Hotel California I think because I think the lead has a great voice and it's just so mellow, but then the guitar in Stairway is just incredible. So difficult
    hotel california without a doubt. Infact I'd say that is THE best song ever written. The atmosphere it creates is just perfect, every lyric and guitar note is spot on. Stairway is good, a classic even, but hotel california is just a total masterpiece that will never be topped in my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit that I've never thought as much of Stairway to Heaven as most classic rock fans do. It's a good song, sure, but for me it isn't quite the masterpiece a lot of other people think it is.

Hotel California, on the other hand, I get completely. So I've voted for it.

(Original post by j.alexanderh)
    http://www.unconservatory.org/articles/smartpeople.html

You can take your obviously highly nuanced appreciation of 'real music' made with 'talent, time and effort' and shove it.
    I honestly tried reading that article, but I couldn't get more than a couple of paragraphs in. You can't write an article about appreciating good music but take it as universally understood that liking rock-and-roll makes you uncultured. You've attempted to counter musical snobbery with more musical snobbery. At least the post you responded to included some sort of rationale.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about real music, and want the opinions of people who listen to this kinda music. The lyrics of real music actually have meaning, the music comes together from several different instruments which are all played by the actual band members as opposed to stand in musicians who are there to make the solo artist good and stand aside while the artist gets the limelight and big money.

Justin Bieber has talent, but he's been completely pimped out to appeal to young girls and make a ton of money. The lyrics are written for him, the songs are composed for him; all he has to do is sing it. I prefer it when musicians actually care about what they produce, rather than the end result of what they've produced. So much more talent, time and effort has gone into it and that's what I appreciate.
    You are not the judge of what is music and what is not. Don't spout such bull****.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I honestly tried reading that article, but I couldn't get more than a couple of paragraphs in. You can't write an article about appreciating good music but take it as universally understood that liking rock-and-roll makes you uncultured. You've attempted to counter musical snobbery with more musical snobbery. At least the post you responded to included some sort of rationale.
    I think you've somewhat missed the point. The article is intended for people who already share the writer's views. My aim was illustrative rather than educative (god knows I've given up on that front); I was showing the poster that there are serious musicians who think exactly of his 'real music' as he does of Bieber et al.

His 'rationale' (appreciating talent, effort etc) would take him to the premiss asssumed in the article if he actually followed it to its logical conclusion. Unfortunately he does not mean what he wrote, even if he thinks he does.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    I think you've somewhat missed the point. The article is intended for people who already share the writer's views. My aim was illustrative rather than educative (god knows I've given up on that front); I was showing the poster that there are serious musicians who think exactly of his 'real music' as he does of Bieber et al.
    That intention wasn't expressed well in your post or in the article. If you want to encourage tolerance of musical styles that get looked down on, I don't think it helps your cause to post articles about looking down on musical styles unless it's made very clear in your post that you're doing so to point out that anyone can look down on any style of music but it doesn't make that music worthless.

As it is, the message I'm getting from your post is "Well rock-and-roll is stupid too".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    not gonna lie man - yeah we get it, you don't like the 'new age' mainstream music (like many of us do), but these are the two most clique songs out there. Yes, they are both great songs, but can't you choose examples that haven't been hyped off previously for decades? - Aphex twin for example.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    ... I don't think it helps your cause to post articles about looking down on musical styles unless it's made very clear in your post that you're doing so to point out that anyone can look down on any style of music but it doesn't make that music worthless.
    That's not really the point either. I find lots of styles of music to be worthless; I am suspicious of anyone who doesn't. I am merely trying to get him to reflect on his own self-righteousness.

I apologise if I did not communicate my intent ell. I hoped tbat the parallels between the content of his post and the views expressed in the article were clear enough to be obvious to him.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthurry)
    not gonna lie man - yeah we get it, you don't like the 'new age' mainstream music (like many of us do), but these are the two most clique songs out there. Yes, they are both great songs, but can't you choose examples that haven't been hyped off previously for decades? - Aphex twin for example.
    Enjoy:

The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin
    Forever Autumn - Justin Hayward
    Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I agree with a few points, however now Bieber's growing older he's writing his own songs. The latest one is currently number one in 31 countries.

but he's still young so you know..

Your case applies to post other chart artists though.
    popularity is not related to good music in this era.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    popularity is not related to good music in this era.
    Yes it is, because good music is subjective. If 1000 people download a song you considered good and 100000k you considered bad.. I'll obviously go with the consensus.

You probably like rock. I disslike Rock, it's bad music to me and based on the majority (UK top 40 which that genre rarely appears on) it's not considered good.

Subjectivity though.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Yes it is, because good music is subjective. If 1000 people download a song you considered good and 100000k you considered bad.. I'll obviously go with the consensus.

You probably like rock. I disslike Rock, it's bad music to me and based on the majority (UK top 40 which that genre rarely appears on) it's not considered good.

Subjectivity though.
    Unfortunately, people are idiots. Modern music sells on how it's been marketed, not it's quality.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Unfortunately, people are idiots. Modern music sells on how it's been marketed, not it's quality.
    This basicly, clearly the bieber fan is a lost cause and fails to realise that the music industry is no longer about producing high quality music.

it's about producing a glossy commodity to be sold and consumed by sheeple like the bieber fan in the thread
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The STH song is great, the solo is pants, overdone minor pentatonic pseudo-emotional pap. Hotel california has some of the most original guitar trade off's and unique/intricate song structuring harmony AND is catchy.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    This basicly, clearly the bieber fan is a lost cause and fails to realise that the music industry is no longer about producing high quality music.

it's about producing a glossy commodity to be sold and consumed by sheeple like the bieber fan in the thread
    Yet 90% of bieber haters are sheeple
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's gotta be Stairway, but both fantastic songs. I'm not sure if there will ever be many more bands to stand with Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Pink Floyd, Queen etc. as all-time legends.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Both are in my sig, therefore both are epic......but stairway to heaven wins by just a bit, hotel california caomes 2nd, after a first place drawnt with stairway to heaven and shine on you crazy diamond...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.