Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as this the Student room, if your brother/sister?

how do u think u would honestly react?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't care. It's their choice, I'd fully support them.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that's what they want to do, then they'd have my full support, and I'd enjoy learning from their experiences.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd wonder what I'd done wrong in bringing them up...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takethyfacehence)
    I would see myself as having failed in my role as a father and as a Christian.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dutchman81)
    I would see myself as having failed in my role as a father and as a Christian.
    Don't blame yourself the bible has too many contradictions, also don't let your kids take math, or they might learn pi is not 3 Lol and know that teh old book is wrong.

Edit : well its true pie isn't 3, dont neg me for that =p
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well as I live in an area that is mostly labour, white and Christian/atheist I would probably think they were messing around at first as we unfortunately have no real mixing of cultures in my area as of yet. However if they persisted and were serious of course I would honestly support them fully as any parent should.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    a son - pleased it might keep him off alcohol, a daughter - wonder why she should chose a religion that so restricts women. And yes I do know that originally Islam was an improvement for women but it certainly isn't now.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they took on the faith not a problem, Islam is a nice religion - its the people that subvert it (same as christianity to be honest)

some aspects of the culture arranged marriage, women second class citizens (especially ones affecting women bigomy, the laws on rape etc), sharia law etc then i would have a major issue with it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takethyfacehence)
    Good parenting :bumps:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would support them. I have experience of changing faith myself - christian to atheist, now getting more spiritual again, although not in an organised religion way nor going back towards christianity. So I would understand easily how you can change your beliefs. I would probably want to be introduced to my son/daughters friends from the mosque and so on, and debate beliefs with them (in a nice way, not a 'you're wrong' way!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    a son - pleased it might keep him off alcohol, a daughter - wonder why she should chose a religion that so restricts women. And yes I do know that originally Islam was an improvement for women but it certainly isn't now.
    Men don't exactly get a free reign either.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    'Islam' still is, it always has been and always will be. However the way its practiced nowadays allows your opinion to have some foundation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I've got kids!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most Muslim men who convert are gingers.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't say i'd get on board with the idea without some serious convincing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Most Muslim men who convert are gingers.
    Is that a diss for ginger people? Or you got sources to back it up.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I had a daughter I'd teach her to think logically for herself. She'd have to be exceptionally stupid to chose Islam (which will restrict her tremendously) when she could easily chose absolutely anything she wants, but I suppose I would support her decision.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really mind, I don't see that there's that much difference between Islam and Christianity. I'm an atheist, but it's a personal decision. Especially if it has the "Santa Claus" effect, where if they were being annoying I could tell them that Santa/god/allah wasn't pleased, and that they better be good or else no presents/eternal afterlife for them :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're not a muslim woman so don't speak for them
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you've done at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.