Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    If anyone I loved or even vaguely cared about became a member of any religion, I would be bitterly disappointed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel shame at having raised an idiot.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Speak for yourself. You'd have to be a "hardcore clubber" yourself to meet those people.

Not that I'm against drinking or sex.
    Nope not really, if they talk about it in class loudly, easy enough to know their lifestyle.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd support them. It's their choice, and I'd be a bad parent if I didn't support them in this.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Be annoyed that they made such a stupid decision, brother or sister i probably wouldn't talk to unless absolutely necessary and as for children i have no idea, can only hope the situation never arises.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given that my children will be taught critical thinking from an early age, and that my genes will probably leave them with high IQs and intellects, they'll be able to see through the bull**** of religion.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a...shall we say 'non advocate' for religion. I would be sorely disapointed.

And would want to know why.

I think most people who are religious are so because they lack something in their lives (woah woah woah....let me explain!). People sometimes turn to god when they are ill because they lack the faith in medicine. Or when a family member dies as they want to believe they will see them again. People also have a create fear of the unknown, death, and whether or not theirs life after it. Do we want to admit that the flawed existence we have bumbled along for, for 70 odd years was it? Or is their something better..? The reason for existence, surely there must be a reason? Logical thinking humans demand a reason! But we have none...we can't simply accept that we are here just to 'be'. So we like to pride ourselves and think 'god created us, humans as superior to other living things, he gave us this earth to enjoy'.

I personally don't, and can't believe in any deity. I think its arrogant and sanctimonious to be religious and believe you are better than every other living thing on the planet. I also don't like its blatant sexism, homophobia, racism, and murder-forgiving ways.

So yes, I would be very disapointed.

One of my favourite quotes on the matter of religion in general (not specific to islam)-

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?”
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    But she also won't be able to enjoy the odd drink to have a giggle and unwind, and she won't be able to have sex with the boyfriend she loves even though she's of the age of consent and loves him, but doesn't want to get married just yet.
    and she'd come downstairs..I'd be there frying up some bacon for butties..."hey Madders kid you want one?" "no pork is haraam.." "oh yeah yeah you're Muslim now....ah well....more for me."

Nah I don't even like bacon that much tbh, not a fan of pork in general so don't eat it by choice.

But erm...eh their choice, as long as it didn't seem to have any negative effects on their moral judgement it would be okay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Supportive of his/her choice, sure, but internally quite disappointed (as I would equally if they chose to become a Christian or a Jew - I find it hard to be comfortable around anyone who believes I deserve an eternity of torture and torment in hell because I don't think genocide and slavery can be justified. I take moral issue with most religions, for that matter - Jainism is pretty cool though).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I'd be extremely pissed off, I am a Jew, my future wife will be a Jew and therefore any children I have shall be Jewish... for them to then turn around and convert to Islam will make me fly off the rails.

I'd probably learn to live with it over time but I'd rather it never ever happens.

Actually thinking about it, no I would not learn to live with it, they'd be cut off from the family financially and otherwise... yes they can see me but they should not expect me to pander towards their Muslim needs.
    Islam and Judaism is basically the same thing, circumcision, kosher meat/no pork, both believe in Moses and the whole Abraham/God thing. What do you think about 'pretend Jews' who are basically no different to to a white person except they may celebrate Hannukah? Would you be fine with your son/daughter being one of those? Your avatar isn't something that a rabbi would welcome.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotdotdotdot)
    Nope not really, if they talk about it in class loudly, easy enough to know their lifestyle.
    I'm sorry but when I went to UCL, I was in a course that was predominately muslim and I was one of the very few people who didn't club/drink. Admittedly there were more boys than girls who did that, but girls did it nonetheless, headscarf and all.

It has nothing to do with religion, it's a life choice. The only difference is that if they were in a muslim country with muslim laws enforced, they would be punished for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    Supportive of his/her choice, sure, but internally quite disappointed (as I would equally if they chose to become a Christian or a Jew - I find it hard to be comfortable around anyone who believes I deserve an eternity of torture and torment in hell because I don't think genocide and slavery can be justified. I take moral issue with most religions, for that matter - Jainism is pretty cool though).
    If everyone in Britain was Jain we'd all be speaking German.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yh she won't be able to clubbing and getting drunk out of her head. Or have several sexual experiences with multiple boys throughout her youth, what a shame.

Not trolling, thats what basically the majority of the non muslims girls i see do, unless they're hardcore christians or some other faith which frowns upon those things.
    And what's wrong with that? Those experiences help shape us for our later years, they give us the rush and excitement of youth so that we may better make mature decisions when we are required to.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would probably be sad for them, because they will miss out on a lot just to have faith in something that I couldn't understand.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally would rather that they did not attach themselves to any religious organisation. That being said, I might disagree and question their decision, but I wouldn't have any right to stop them converting to any religion.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I'd be extremely pissed off, I am a Jew, my future wife will be a Jew and therefore any children I have shall be Jewish... for them to then turn around and convert to Islam will make me fly off the rails.

I'd probably learn to live with it over time but I'd rather it never ever happens.

Actually thinking about it, no I would not learn to live with it, they'd be cut off from the family financially and otherwise... yes they can see me but they should not expect me to pander towards their Muslim needs.
    I was jewish of algerian decent as well, ridiculously religious (orthodox). Judging by your (tehFrance) name you're probably algerian/moroccan too.

When I first became atheist I had absolutely no problem with religion. It was my family's response to my choices that made me have contempt for it.

I can tell you now judaism is no different to Islam at all. A muslim man would say exactly the same things as you. He'll marry a muslim woman, he'll have muslim kids, and if they turned away from islam he'll resent if not hate them for it.

The only reason people hate islam more than judaism is because it's more predominant. There are more muslims, so the chances of a mad extremist coming along is more likely.

ffs people are so stupid
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I'm sorry but when I went to UCL, I was in a course that was predominately muslim and I was one of the very few people who didn't club/drink. Admittedly there were more boys than girls who did that, but girls did it nonetheless, headscarf and all.

It has nothing to do with religion, it's a life choice. The only difference is that if they were in a muslim country with muslim laws enforced, they would be punished for it.
    Then they would be considered a "bad muslim".
    Some people won't do it because of religion while others won't care and do it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends how religious they wanted to be, in all honesty. If they just believed in a loose version of the theological side of Islam, I wouldn't care. If they did a complete conversion (dress, praying, mosque, rules and regulations) I would be upset just because them believing in organised religion would have gone against everything I'd have taught them and everything I stand for. But it's their choice - I guess the bright side would be that it meant I hadn't brainwashed them in my way of thinking and I'd taught them freedom of thought. But yeah, honestly I wouldn't be too happy if they decided to become a Muslim (same goes for if they wanted to convert to Christianity, Judaism or Hinduism) because I believe it would inhibit their life to an extent. But it's their life!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I saw in school, they seemed to go through alot of boyfriends... Wasn't love, just lust.
    But not everyone does - I've had one serious relationship (of the others, one was a holiday thing [we worked at the same holiday place] that didn't get further than chatting to each other whilst I was at work and he was on his break, and the other lasted three months, we kissed and then he turned out to be a doosh), and I am still in it - it has lasted fourteen months, we want to get married in the future but money/age gets in the way - if I was a Muslim, I wouldn't be able to have sex with him, even though I am 17, therefore it is restricting women.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    and she'd come downstairs..I'd be there frying up some bacon for butties..."hey Madders kid you want one?" "no pork is haraam.." "oh yeah yeah you're Muslim now....ah well....more for me."

Nah I don't even like bacon that much tbh, not a fan of pork in general so don't eat it by choice.

But erm...eh their choice, as long as it didn't seem to have any negative effects on their moral judgement it would be okay.
    I'd make a conscious effort to cook and offer them bacon every morning before forcing them to watch me and the others eating it
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.