Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    But not everyone does - I've had one serious relationship (of the others, one was a holiday thing [we worked at the same holiday place] that didn't get further than chatting to each other whilst I was at work and he was on his break, and the other lasted three months, we kissed and then he turned out to be a doosh), and I am still in it - it has lasted fourteen months, we want to get married in the future but money/age gets in the way - if I was a Muslim, I wouldn't be able to have sex with him, even though I am 17, therefore it is restricting women.
    Restricting them from a bad thing, same goes for muslim men.
    Saving you from becoming a slut, damn that is so bad isn't it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wouldn't mind what religion, if any, they followed. If they feel it benefits them in some way it's not for me to stop them. I would only become invovled with their religion if they were hurting either themselves or others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    If everyone in Britain was Jain we'd all be speaking German.
    I'm not saying it's superawesome answer to everything, but it's hard to take moral issue with a religion which actually preaches that you should be incredibly nice to and respectful of all life. If everyone in the Britain circa WW2 had been Jain we'd all be speaking German, but if everyone in Germany circa WW2 had been Jain we'd not have had WW2 in the first place.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotdotdotdot)
    Restricting them from a bad thing, same goes for muslim men.
    Saving you from becoming a slut, damn that is so bad isn't it.
    :rolleyes: Sex is not a bad thing! So, the fact that I have had sex with one person makes me a slut? I hope my kids never become Muslims if this is the attitude!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Sex is not a bad thing! So, the fact that I have had sex with one person makes me a slut? I hope my kids never become Muslims if this is the attitude!
    No the going from boyfriend to boyfriend bit.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Islam and Judaism is basically the same thing, circumcision, kosher meat/no pork, both believe in Moses and the whole Abraham/God thing. What do you think about 'pretend Jews' who are basically no different to to a white person except they may celebrate Hannukah? Would you be fine with your son/daughter being one of those? Your avatar isn't something that a rabbi would welcome.
    On the surface yes they are similar however Islam is more restricting in many ways.

Pretend Jews? WTF are you on? they are called Liberal, Reform or Self-hating Jews. I would not mind that as they are still Jewish.

I don't care if any old Rabbi likes it or not, it isn't their avatar. Anyway my Rabbi is more relaxed on these things so feh.
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Judging by your (tehFrance) name you're probably algerian/moroccan too.
    I am not from Algeria or Morocco, I come from France (hence the name), I was born and raised in Neuilly-sur-Seine, I actually think it is quite insulting that you think I am Algerian or Moroccan... how did you even jump to that from tehFrance?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yh she won't be able to clubbing and getting drunk out of her head. Or have several sexual experiences with multiple boys throughout her youth, what a shame.

Not trolling, thats what basically the majority of the non muslims girls i see do, unless they're hardcore christians or some other faith which frowns upon those things.
    I know so many Muslim girls that do those things it's unreal.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would bring my children up the same way I was brought up in that respect, my parents never taught me anything about religion, positives and negative, they didn't tell me it existed so I could make my own mind up about what I think, or feel.

I am an atheist and anti-theists and they only told me they were agnostic-atheist (non-dogmatic) when I was about 15.

I think raising your child follow a religion, or be completely opposed to religion is child abuse and manipulation, children should be left to make up their own minds.

And the reason we still have religion, is that the majority of followers are only followers because their parents/family were, or it’s the religion of the country/society, hardly any of them are converts, and if they are its usually hopping from one to another.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then they would be considered a "bad muslim".
    Some people won't do it because of religion while others won't care and do it.
    Exactly. Just as you don't want me to judge islam based on muslim people's actions, you should stop judging atheism based on atheist people's actions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandyAndy)
    I know so many Muslim girls that do those things it's unreal.
    I don't deny that they don't. Then they would be considered bad muslims, most of the which you talk about I've noticed are muslim in name only.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say that I would not be too happy because it's a way of life that I feel would restrict him/her.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    No the going from boyfriend to boyfriend bit.
    People have relationships and they break up. That's life, and it's wrong to shelter people from the fact that sometimes, relationships don't work out, people can't work out their differences etc. Let's face it, the religion well-known for honour killings is never going to have a balanced view of relationships, is it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Just as you don't want me to judge islam based on muslim people's actions, you should stop judging atheism based on atheist people's actions.
    I was actaully judging society in the north east of england, more acurrately.
    But all the same the majority of the people who do those things are atheists.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People have relationships and they break up. That's life, and it's wrong to shelter people from the fact that sometimes, relationships don't work out, people can't work out their differences etc. Let's face it, the religion well-known for honour killings is never going to have a balanced view of relationships, is it?
    Its culture not religion.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its culture not religion.
    What is?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    On the surface yes they are similar however Islam is more restricting in many ways.

Pretend Jews? WTF are you on? they are called Liberal, Reform or Self-hating Jews. I would not mind that as they are still Jewish.

I don't care if any old Rabbi likes it or not, it isn't their avatar. Anyway my Rabbi is more relaxed on these things so feh.

I am not from Algeria or Morocco, I come from France (hence the name), I was born and raised in Neuilly-sur-Seine, I actually think it is quite insulting that you think I am Algerian or Moroccan... how did you even jump to that from tehFrance?
    Yeah most French jews were born and raised in france, but they're from north african decent. (I don't know many french ashkenazi jews)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What is?
    Its stupid culture behind honour killings, asian culture to be precise, I'm sure hinus sikhs etc would also agree.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah most French jews were born and raised in france, but they're from north african decent. (I don't know many french ashkenazi jews)
    I am sorry but I am not of North African descent, dad's side come from Poland and mother's side is British.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was actaully judging society in the north east of england, more acurrately.
    But all the same the majority of the people who do those things are atheists.
    Excuse me but if you're going to judge people based on atheism then let me make a few clear things for you

1) Atheism isn't a set of rules. It means you don't carry a belief about any god.
    2) Atheists do things of their own free will. If they do anything good/bad, it's not out of fear of being punished/rewarded from a non existent god
    3) Islam harms more people than booze/sex ever will.
    4) It's a fact that lifestyle in countries that aren't run by atheist states is far better than those run by religious states. If you hate atheism and love islam so much, you can run to saudi arabia where you can be oppressed to your heart's content
    5) Yes, I'm being islamophobic. Your religion is despicable and disgusting.
    6) No, I'm not being racist. I'm an immigrant myself

Shame on you.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I am sorry but I am not of North African descent, dad's side come from Poland and mother's side is British.
    Oh. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions then.
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.