Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Oh. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions then.
    No you should not. I am still pretty insulted tbh.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    No you should not. I am still pretty insulted tbh.
    You shouldn't be. You said that you're french + jewish. I know that most jewish communities in france are sephardic/north african. Why is that insulting?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me but if you're going to judge people based on atheism then let me make a few clear things for you

1) Atheism isn't a set of rules. It means you don't carry a belief about any god.
    2) Atheists do things of their own free will. If they do anything good/bad, it's not out of fear of being punished/rewarded from a non existent god
    3) Islam harms more people than booze/sex ever will.
    4) It's a fact that lifestyle in countries that aren't run by atheist states is far better than those run by religious states. If you hate atheism and love islam so much, you can run to saudi arabia where you can be oppressed to your heart's content
    5) Yes, I'm being islamophobic. Your religion is despicable and disgusting.
    6) No, I'm not being racist. I'm an immigrant myself

Shame on you.
    Millions of people with HIV in africa may disagree with you, well minus the ones who got it through sharing needles etc...
    Already had guessed number 5.
    I didn't say atheism was a set of rules, I just stated that most people who do the things mentioned are athiests.
    For number 4 its a recent thing, every civilisation falls for another to take its place.Also I like how those athiest run countries seem to love the corrupt hypocrites who run muslim states, with the exeptions of the corrupt ones who they don't get along with e.g. Assad.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is that insulting?
    Being told I am descendant from a former colony and/or protectorate is not something I like.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotdotdotdot)
    Its stupid culture behind honour killings, asian culture to be precise, I'm sure hinus sikhs etc would also agree.
    Ah ok, I thought it was a Muslim practice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd support them...Its like saying how would your react if your son/ daughter turned around and said hey I'm gay?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being told I am descendant from a former colony and/or protectorate is not something I like.
    That's quite racist.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's quite racist.
    I wasn't being racist, elitist sure, racist no but take it how you like.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NannyD)
    I'd support them...Its like saying how would your react if your son/ daughter turned around and said hey I'm gay?
    Not really. Being gay or straight is perfectly natural, and they are things people don't chose.

My honest reaction to my child wanting to be a Muslim, though, would be disappointment.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Ah ok, I thought it was a Muslim practice.
    How can it be a muslim practice when it is a sin to murder in Islam? Its asian culture...remember not all muslims are asian
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being racist, elitist sure, racist no but take it how you like.
    Well obviously you think that you're superior to north african people, otherwise you wouldn't be so offended by being mistaken for one.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    How can it be a muslim practice when it is a sin to murder in Islam? Its asian culture...remember not all muslims are asian
    A lot of terrorists are Muslim extremists and do it in the name of Allah, and yet Islam is still meant to be a religion of peace - someone from outside this religion/culture cannot be blamed for assuming it's a religious practice when that is how it's portrayed in the media etc.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously you think that you're superior to north african people, otherwise you wouldn't be so offended by being mistaken for one.
    Well those people are generally Arab or Black (both of which I have zero problem with), I have no hatred against either of those races so therefore I am not a racist. Look up the meaning of racism before excusing someone of being a racist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any converts in real life?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd wonder who on Earth managed to convert them, but then I'd be pleased that they'd made their own decisions. I'd also make sure they follow the creed as it is meant to be followed (as I would if any of my children turned out to follow a major religion - dogma does happen and it's worth eliminating doubt, though I wouldn't openly doubt my child as that's just rude) by asking a few questions, then I'd let them get on their way really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    I'm not saying it's superawesome answer to everything, but it's hard to take moral issue with a religion which actually preaches that you should be incredibly nice to and respectful of all life. If everyone in the Britain circa WW2 had been Jain we'd all be speaking German, but if everyone in Germany circa WW2 had been Jain we'd not have had WW2 in the first place.
    Jainism only works if everyone is a Jain, otherwise it's a disaster. The idea that everyone would have to be a Jain for it to work is inherently fascist.

On the surface yes they are similar however Islam is more restricting in many ways.

Pretend Jews? WTF are you on? they are called Liberal, Reform or Self-hating Jews. I would not mind that as they are still Jewish.

I don't care if any old Rabbi likes it or not, it isn't their avatar. Anyway my Rabbi is more relaxed on these things so feh.

I am not from Algeria or Morocco, I come from France (hence the name), I was born and raised in Neuilly-sur-Seine, I actually think it is quite insulting that you think I am Algerian or Moroccan... how did you even jump to that from tehFrance?
    I'm agnostic but when I was studying religion, Judaism was far more strict compared to Islam. I'm aware there's plenty of pretend/cultural/atheist Jews but if we were to compare Orthodox Judaism to Orthodox Islam, Judaism would be far more strict.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    A lot of terrorists are Muslim extremists and do it in the name of Allah, and yet Islam is still meant to be a religion of peace - someone from outside this religion/culture cannot be blamed for assuming it's a religious practice when that is how it's portrayed in the media etc.
    May Allah guide them then, and make them see killing innocent people is a sin.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well those people are generally Arab or Black (both of which I have zero problem with), I have no hatred against either of those races so therefore I am not a racist. Look up the meaning of racism before excusing someone of being a racist.
    You don't have to hate a group of people to be racist towards them. You just have to have the idea that they're inferior to you.

The fact that you said that you're an elitist in context of race makes me think that yes, you are racist.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they were a total moron. I wouldn't stop them though.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I'm agnostic but when I was studying religion, Judaism was far more strict compared to Islam. I'm aware there's plenty of pretend/cultural/atheist Jews but if we were to compare Orthodox Judaism to Orthodox Islam, Judaism would be far more strict.
    There is no such thing as pretend Jews, Jews are Jews even if they do not follow the faith.

I don't believe that to be the case but I haven't studied Islam extensively as I got a pass on it during RE when I was in the country (I was being taught to religions that had zero connection to me (unlike the majority of the school who were Christian), so they allowed me to not sit RE and do an extra GCSE elsewhere).
Updated: April 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.