Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandyAndy)
    I know so many Muslim girls that do those things it's unreal.
    Same here. I think a lot of them become rebellious as a result of that upbringing, especially when they are in a country where there is more freedom of choice.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dental_implant)
    Does anyone know any converts in real life?
    Yes. One friend converted to Islam, one became a Mormon, a third did the Christian Alpha Course and became a more evangelical Christian than before.

The friend who converted to Islam had a family and children who did not convert so that did create some difficulties.

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I never said because of their race. Seriously it is like people don't even read.

I don't like the countries, never have and most likely never will but it is not because of the race of the people that live there. Therefore as I explained previously I am not a racist. Please read in future.
    I did read what you said. You assume that people's ancestry determines their current culture. I think I'm more offended by you than you're offended by me.

I don't like Algerian culture either and I don't subscribe to it (it's oppressive, homophobic, sexist and racist). I was born in Israel and lived in many countries. I don't subscribe to any culture at all. I've been mistaken for spanish, italian, Polish, (because of my accent) and even black because of my hair.

Never have I been offended by any of those mistakes, regardless of the cultures associated with some of them.

I reccomend you travel a bit and study anthropology. Being an elitist is not something to be proud of.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Same here. I think a lot of them become rebellious as a result of that upbringing, especially when they are in a country where there is more freedom of choice.
    Its the same the world over. There are people who follow their religion to the letter and others who follow it as best they can and who might be 'bad muslims' of 'bad Catholics' or whatever. I suppose if you are not going to follow your religion to the letter it is probably a lot easier to do in a country that has no real punishments for this or where access to things you want to do are easier.

It probably looks like rebellion if a person's family are very religious and conformist. However I suppose its also just a question of an individual choosing to do the things that are attractive/right for them.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Jainism only works if everyone is a Jain, otherwise it's a disaster. The idea that everyone would have to be a Jain for it to work is inherently fascist.
    I'm getting called fascist for a post that was purely me approving of the idea of being nice to people (in no way did I support the idea of making everyone a Jain - I'm not one, after all).

TSR is fun.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    You'll find that large noses are common among lots of groups of people. The particular nose type you're referring to is really only common among ashkenazi Jews rather than Jews as a whole. The reason is simply because like any community that is separated from others because of geography or culture, the gene pool is relatively narrow and certain characteristics are concentrated. You can see big noses for instance in certain Indian based cultural groups for similar reasons, they tended to keep to themselves and as a result certain characteristics have become more common
    Thanks for explaining
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I reccomend you travel a bit and study anthropology. Being an elitist is not something to be proud of.
    I travel plenty thank you, been all over Europe, Australasia, North and South America and Israel. Just because I don't like countries does not mean I am racist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    I'm getting called fascist for a post that was purely me approving of the idea of being nice to people (in no way did I support the idea of making everyone a Jain - I'm not one, after all).

TSR is fun.
    I didn't call you a fascist but nice strawman.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I didn't call you a fascist but nice strawman.
    Your post seemed to be pretty clearly saying "you said this so you're FASCIST" to me (which struck me as absurd as all I'd said was "being nice to everyone is a nice idea"). If that wasn't how it was intended, then I apologise. Tone is hard to interpret on the internet.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I travel plenty thank you, been all over Europe, Australasia, North and South America and Israel. Just because I don't like countries does not mean I am racist.
    It does if you think that being a decendant of that country is a bad thing!!! Why??? Because you think they'd have to keep the culture?? or because of the genes?? I don't understand :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    How can it be a muslim practice when it is a sin to murder in Islam?
    It's a sin to murder in abrahamic faiths but it sure doesn't stop religion being spread by force back in the day.

Anyway what about when defending your faith from attack, it's allowed then right?

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement" (5:33)

and surely verses like this are an influence on the likes of suicide bombers?

"Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward." (4:74)

Finally surely verses like that below encourage people to act aggressively towards other faiths, telling them to ensure Islam dominates other faiths/areas of no faith?

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." (9:29)
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    If I had a daughter I'd teach her to think logically for herself. She'd have to be exceptionally stupid to chose Islam (which will restrict her tremendously) when she could easily chose absolutely anything she wants, but I suppose I would support her decision.
    What, of an afternoon? Or are you saying if you had a son you wouldn't? R confused.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Concept186)
    Your post seemed to be pretty clearly saying "you said this so you're FASCIST" to me (which struck me as absurd as all I'd said was "being nice to everyone is a nice idea"). If that wasn't how it was intended, then I apologise. Tone is hard to interpret on the internet.
    Okay cool.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    What, of an afternoon?
    I don't understand the question
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    A lot of terrorists are Muslim extremists and do it in the name of Allah, and yet Islam is still meant to be a religion of peace - someone from outside this religion/culture cannot be blamed for assuming it's a religious practice when that is how it's portrayed in the media etc.
    Well if you're stupid and ignorant to base an entire faith on rubbish you hear on the media than good luck to you! Ever considered thinking for yourself?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I wouldn't mind. If I had kids then I would teach them to be independent and hopefully they would be aiming for a good career/education so if they were mature enough to do that then I would hope that they would only partake in the good practices of Islam and not the stereotypical media-inspired ones. as long as they were open minded and not misled and it was their decision then I'd be fine with it.

(Their Catholic grandparents would blow a fuse though lol)

I second this. I wouldn't mind what religion she wants to follow but I'd make sure every decision she makes has been carefully considered before and she's not forced by somebody else to take up certain habits.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as they didn't try to convert me, I would be fine with it.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dental_implant)
    Does anyone know any converts in real life?
    Yep. I know someone who became a Muslim after leaving my school to go to college. She dated a Muslim guy and so she became interested in the religion and did so much research into it. After that, she decided to convert. Not many people were accepting of her choice - her mum disowned her and threw her out, and a lot of people at her college thought it was just a phase. But more than a couple of year later, she is still a muslim.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it was my daughter, who suffers from Down's syndrome, I could understand why she'd make such a stupid decision, but if it was my intelligent son who attends Oxford University, I'd be rather miffed. It won't happen though, they're both good Christians.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The religion doesn't matter... I would be disappointed regardless.
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.