Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If your son/daughter converted to Islam what would your honest reaction be?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...Better drink my own piss?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I won't be shoving any beliefs down their throat, so as long as they don't try converting me, I won't be too bothered
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Provided they aren't creationists I don't think I would be in much of a position to do anything about it.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dental_implant)
    :lolwut:
    Jews are ethnoreligious
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_iMANII)
    lol i'd probs disown them being indian; its all down to good parenting skills and how much you teach your children about your 'OWN' religion and culture. i know for a fact i would/could never deviate away from my religion.
    Not really funny is it? You're despicable.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol i'd probs disown them being indian; its all down to good parenting skills and how much you teach your children about your 'OWN' religion and culture. i know for a fact i would/could never deviate away from my religion.
    Wow. :lolwut:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotdotdotdot)
    Yh she won't be able to clubbing and getting drunk out of her head. Or have several sexual experiences with multiple boys throughout her youth, what a shame.
    she would also miss out on the exhilaration of falling in love, on the first dates, the dancing, the charm of seduction and playful romance...

not to speak of not having the ability to choose a life partner whom she knows will be suited for her and whom she already loves

so, I would be rather sad for her
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow just cause i put 'lol'? i know it isn't funny but i highly doubt i would have to deal with this kind of issue. i have plenty of muslim friends, but they've never had a religion influence on me. If you read anything about Sikh history then you would know about certain things.
    Stop diverting away. :rolleyes:

You said you'd probably disown your own children if they chose to believe differently than you do. Yes or no?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    ...Better drink my own piss?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I won't be shoving any beliefs down their throat, so as long as they don't try converting me, I won't be too bothered
    Please do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    I know a few muslim converts but the main one is my sister. She first became interested in it when she was about 13 because she was teaching herself Arabic. Later she went to a muslim school because she wanted to learn more about the religion as well as the language. My parents are open minded and they had no problem at all with my sister doing this. Later she wanted to fully convert and they said fine, but she should wait until she is 16 and see if she still wants it. They also said she should wait until she was 16 to wear hijab. This was about 10 years ago now.

I have never had a problem with it. It never even really seemed weird to me tbh. I just accept it as part of my sister. She is married to a muslim and people always think she must have converted for him, but in fact she did it years before they even met.

She doesn't feel restricted in life as a muslim woman.

I wouldn't mind if my children wanted to become muslim. It is up to them.
    It's good that your family were accepting of her decision.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please do.
    Will do :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Wow. :lolwut:
    its real talk though. ask any asian person they would say the same thing; Hindu, Sikh and or even Muslim. They would all disown their kids if they converted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes i would, my parents have always said the same thing to me so im obviously going to have the same values.
    That's not a legitimate reason to do something.
    You have your own mind don't you?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes i would, my parents have always said the same thing to me so im obviously going to have the same values.
    Well that's really bad
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow just cause i put 'lol'? i know it isn't funny but i highly doubt i would have to deal with this kind of issue. i have plenty of muslim friends, but they've never had a religion influence on me. If you read anything about Sikh history then you would know about certain things.
    What certain things are these? Please elaborate, I'm quite interested.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes i would,
    Then I stand by what I said originally.

my parents have always said the same thing to me so im obviously going to have the same values.
    No. Just because your parents treated you in a certain way doesn't mean you have to do the same... :facepalm:

It's a choice. If you disown your own children because they believe differently than you do, then it will have been by your own choice alone - quit trying to justify it.

If your parents hit you for misbehaving will you also punish your own children in the same way if they misbehave?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    its real talk though. ask any asian person they would say the same thing; Hindu, Sikh and or even Muslim. They would all disown their kids if they converted.
    Well that's really bad. Parents should love their kids unconditionally, not expect them to be a clone of themselves.

Don't you have a mind of your own?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you are an automated robot that doesn't think for yourself, and just does what others like you would do?

If your parents decided to jump off Victoria Falls to their deaths, would you do likewise?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't paint 3 relgions with the same brush.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ofcourse i do, i respect my parents and would never do anything against what they expect from me. Thats just my opinion anyway, but im sure all asians think the same. If someone did want to convert thats their own choice.
    How old are you?
    You're coming across as a naive 14 year old.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't paint us all with the same brush.
    This.

Yeah ofcourse i do, i respect my parents and would never do anything against what they expect from me. Thats just my opinion anyway, but im sure all asians think the same. If someone did want to convert thats their own choice.
    You are wrong in that assumption. I'm Asian.
Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Share your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.