Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Euro 2012 excite you?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Euro 2012 doesn't, but the prospect of seeing Ucranian and Polish girls on TV every day does!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    If you actually watched that World Cup then you'd know how average they truly were, and if you knew anything you'd know how much they have deteriorated since :rolleyes:

Thanks for proving my earlier point when you list the best players for France... They've done SO well recently!
    I named good players. What's wrong with that? Some of them aren't very good on fifa so I don't know how I proved your point.

Haven't France been doing well recently? I was under the impression that they've been pretty decent.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really; no point getting worked up for another disappointment, is there?!

I think we need to use it as a trial run competition for all the young players; ready for World Cup 2014.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trrr)
    lool who gives a crap about the olympics
    Well, I'd suggest that, considering the Euros are just one sport from just one continent, about ten times as many people are interested in the Olympics as are interested in the prima donna play-offs.

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    I agree with the poster that said Spain, Germany, The Netherlands & France are the big four in europe atm.
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    Haven't France been doing well recently? I was under the impression that they've been pretty decent.
    Why would you think that? Exactly what have France done since their abysmal World Cup that makes you think they are a team transformed?

(Original post by Pitt1988)

I think we need to use it as a trial run competition for all the young players; ready for World Cup 2014.
    Quite agree that there's no sense expecting to win the Euros but, frankly, is there much more sense in expecting anything from WC2014? I mean, it's not like we stand the remotest chance of stopping the Brazilians from winning the WC in Brazil. A combined "Best of Europe" team would struggle to do that, England certainly aren't going to do it on their own.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsholmmad)

Quite agree that there's no sense expecting to win the Euros but, frankly, is there much more sense in expecting anything from WC2014? I mean, it's not like we stand the remotest chance of stopping the Brazilians from winning the WC in Brazil. A combined "Best of Europe" team would struggle to do that, England certainly aren't going to do it on their own.
    Perhaps not, I just think that we stand much more of a chance if we get the younger payers playing together to get some tournament experience; time to ditch the oldies.

There has been too much switching around with the England team, I'd like to see a regular starting 11 that can work towards the world cup, under a new manager, without the constant experimentation that seems to happen with England.

But yes, there is probably not much doubt in Brazil winning it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course! I love any major sporting event.

Also, Panini sticker album. :awesome:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Historical Big Four in Europe:
    Germany
    Italy
    France
    Spain

Current Big Four in Europe:
    Spain
    Germany
    Netherlands
    France/England/Italy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am yeah, our group looks tough though. France have a great squad, Ukraine will be cheered on by their home fans, and for some reason England always do shocking against the Swedish. If we get through the group stage the one team that I'd love to see us thrash (with a realistic chance) is Portugal. I want to see Cristiano Ronaldo cry like a little girl again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    Germany
    Italy
    France
    Spain

Spain
    Germany
    Netherlands
    France/England/Italy
    Spain hadn't won anything until 2008 so how can you call put them in the 'Historical big 4'? Agree with the others, but replace Spain with England.

I'm tipping Germany to win it this summer, I know fully well that Spain are favourites, but I'm just sick of them winning everything :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deccles)
    Spain hadn't won anything until 2008 so how can you call put them in the 'Historical big 4'? Agree with the others, but replace Spain with England.
    Because Spain have won 1 World Cup and 2 Euros.

England have won 1 World Cup and 0 Euros.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedesifems)
    Since our humbling in the last World Cup, I don't give a **** about how well England do, since we're not the world force we've made ourselves out to be. I'm more looking forward to seeing the top Dutch, Spanish, German, etc. players out there.
    Yes - it's always entertaining when a big competition like the Euro comes up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really. But it's nice to watch football instead of nothing in between seasons...
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRS-T)
    Germany
    Italy
    France
    Spain

Spain
    Germany
    Netherlands
    France/England/Italy
    I would actually have France ahead of England/Italy cos of their unbeaten run
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedesifems)
    Since our humbling in the last World Cup, I don't give a **** about how well England do, since we're not the world force we've made ourselves out to be. I'm more looking forward to seeing the top Dutch, Spanish, German, etc. players out there.
    So basically, you are a gloryhunter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)

I guarantee you'd have said this in the late 90's or something too.

Maybe not though, because how many good strikers did England have?! Jeees.

people saying France are better than England though... smh. England went unbeaten all of 2011 and then some. And didn't France have a massive fallout during the world cup? Brilliant..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be supporting England, but it's pretty obvious they won't get very far. I really hope Pearce just accepts this and gives the younger generation a chance - that'll probably be the most interesting thing to see for a fan. Whoever succeeds him as the next manager should focus on building a younger team (like the Germans). Keep them playing together instead of putting out half-arsed teams of older players who hardly play with each other. God knows we have the talent, but we don't have a team.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecup93)
    Regardless whether we are a world force or not, I will hoping England go as far as possible and hopefully put WC2010 behind us. Other than watching England play, group B looks very exciting.

And if we meet Portugal somewhere in the tournament, I'll be praying for revenge

edit: Portugal or Germany
    I want England to win, to show everyone how good we are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth are some people rating France so highly as serious contenders?

They were very luck to qualify and Bosnia were robbed, perhaps more so than Ireland.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deccles)

I'm tipping Germany to win it this summer, I know fully well that Spain are favourites, but I'm just sick of them winning everything :P
    Hang on wait Spain havent won anything until 2008? Well they have 2 Euro championships not to mention a world cup, England have the World cup? I got Spain and Germany meeting although Italy are my darkhorses for the tournament.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Any tournament featuring Ireland will be exciting.
    srs?

(Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Why on earth are some people rating France so highly as serious contenders?

They were very luck to qualify and Bosnia were robbed, perhaps more so than Ireland.
    Based on the French performance in the WC that year I believe Ireland should have been there instead of France. But I wouldn't say they were robbed that night. Trapatoni sold his place in the WC that night the second he brought on McShane, that was an accident waiting to happen. I believe that had the hand ball goal not counted scored, the game would have ended as a draw after 90mins, so there was still no guarantee France wouldn't have beat them in extra time/penalties anyway. I would have a different view if it was 2-1 to Ireland on agg. but France and an away goal and Ireland would have qualified if France had the HBall disallowed.

As Roy Keane put it, the FAI made utter fools of themselves asking for a reply etc. They were more focused on the handball being allowed rather than the build up to the goal, ie McShane watching the ball coming in high, allowing it to bounce in his own 6yrd box and general failure to do the very basic defending required.

What happened Bosnia anyway?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.