The Student Room Group

The Ozone layer

Hiya guys. My teacher hasnt given me much to look at for this. In one question, it says:-

'It is a strange paradox that we are worried about an increase in the ozone concentration in the lower atmosphere and about a decrease in the stratosphere' Dicuss this statement.

But i thought that the ozone concentration was very high every where:confused: I really dont know what exactly I can talk about. :frown:

oh and another question...

The creation of significant amounts of nitrogen monoxide (NO) from human activities is of concern because this, too, is thought to lead to a loss of ozone from the atmosphere. Reactions A and B show how the loss can occur:
Reaction A: NO. + O3 ----> NO2. +O2
Reaction B: NO2. + O. ----> NO. + O2
a)i) What is the overall effect of reaction A and B?

I'm not sure what exactly the question is asking. Is he overall effect that another free radical has been formed
ii) What is the role of the NO. in this process?
Again, I really dont understand what the question is asking me. Is the role of NO. to react with O3 and O. thats just too obvious!
Please help :frown:
Reply 1
less O3 means less UV light is reflected from the sun back into space hence skin cancer rises. the reaction is photochemical free radical substitution. Basically the NO. is causing the breakdown of the O3 to O2
Reply 2
Low level Ozone causes breathing difficulties and I think it can damage leaves.
Reply 3
Oh right so reaction A and B creates a viscious circle. I think I kinda understand what to do. Thanx guys!
Reply 4
Its called a catalytic cycle, the NO is being regenerated.
Reply 5
I wasnt actually gving the cycle a name. I meant "viscious" as a metaphor lol.
Reply 6
NO. is acting as a catalyst in the reaction I think, because it is resynthesized.
Reply 7
Like i said.
Reply 8
People! I'm talking metaphorically - look in the dictionary ( i probably havent even spelt it right :s: ) a "metaphor" isnt a scientific term lol.

Latest