Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Some Questions about Nottingham

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, I have a few somewhat basic questions which, if you could, I would love some answers to

(1) Being an international student from the US, I'm curious as to how the international population at Nottingham is? More specifically, how well represented are Americans?

(2) Having spent the last few years of my life at New York University, in the heart of Greenwhich Village, Manhattan - what is the there to do in Nottingham?

(3) Again, having spent the last few years at NYU, I've never had a campus; so I'm excited to have trees and grass, etc. How's Nottingham's campus?

(4) Off hand, and not really at all relevant, what US Universities would people compare Nottingham to in terms of academics, reputation, etc?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    So, I have a few somewhat basic questions which, if you could, I would love some answers to

(1) Being an international student from the US, I'm curious as to how the international population at Nottingham is? More specifically, how well represented are Americans?

(2) Having spent the last few years of my life at New York University, in the heart of Greenwhich Village, Manhattan - what is the there to do in Nottingham?

(3) Again, having spent the last few years at NYU, I've never had a campus; so I'm excited to have trees and grass, etc. How's Nottingham's campus?

(4) Off hand, and not really at all relevant, what US Universities would people compare Nottingham to in terms of academics, reputation, etc?
    1) The university is particularly known for attracting Chinese students, but I've certainly met (and heard) a lot of Americans. I'd guess that US students make up the 2nd highest number of overseas students.

2) Well, anywhere is a step down from New York in terms of things to do! University Park itself has several bars, an art gallery, a theatre, a few shops, a swimming pool and sports centre. The city as a whole has a couple of theatres, a few cinemas, several museums, a lot of bars and clubs, a few live music venues, a castle, an art gallery or two; in terms of sport there's a fairly successful ice hockey team, 2 professional soccer teams, a cricket team. There's a lot of shops too. The city centre is relatively small and compact, yet nonetheless had the second highest GDP of any city in England a couple of years ago (after London obviously). It will feel tiny next to New York though, there's no hiding that. (Oh and Wollaton Hall, which is literally right next to University Park, is the new Wayne Manor in the Dark Knight Rises, which is pretty cool; inside it's a museum, and its grounds are nice to walk around.)

3) It's fantastic! There are the grassy fields, sandstone cliffs, there's the boating lake, areas of (sort of) woodland, there are areas with dense buildings and areas with hardly any, a real mix of scenery. See my Flickr to get something of an idea of what it looks like. Bare in mind though that I haven't covered even a fifth of the campus yet!

4) In terms of ranking it is put next to places like University of California, San Diego; Boston University; Georgia Institute of Technology; University of Texas at Austin, and so on (and in the QS World rankings, 24 places above Dartmouth College). Nottingham is arguably of Ivy League standard therefore.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Earlier, you mentioned that you would consider staying at NYU for a PhD in philosophy. Why not go for their joint JD-PhD program? Funding?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    1) The university is particularly known for attracting Chinese students, but I've certainly met (and heard) a lot of Americans. I'd guess that US students make up the 2nd highest numbers of overseas students.

2) Well, anywhere is a step down from New York in terms of things to do! University Park itself has several bars, an art gallery, a theatre, a few shops, a swimming pool and sports centre. The city as a whole has a couple of theatres, a few cinemas, several museums, a lot of bars and clubs, a few live music venues, a castle, an art gallery or two; in terms of sport there's a fairly successful ice hockey team, 2 professional soccer teams, a cricket team. There's a lot of shops too. The city centre is relatively small and compact, yet nonetheless had the second highest GDP of any city in England a couple of years ago (after London obviously). It will feel tiny next to New York though, there's no hiding that. (Oh and Wollaton Hall, which is literally right next to University Park, is the new Wayne Manor in the Dark Knight Rises, which is pretty cool; inside it's a museum, and its grounds are nice to walk around.)

3) It's fantastic! There are the grassy fields, sandstone cliffs, there's the boating lake, areas of (sort of) woodland, there are areas with dense buildings and areas with hardly any, a real mix of scenery. See my Flickr to get something of an idea of what it looks like. Bare in mind though that I haven't covered even a fifth of the campus yet!

4) In terms of ranking it is put next to places like University of California, San Diego; Boston University; Georgia Institute of Technology; University of Texas at Austin, and so on. Arguably of potential Ivy League standard therefore.
    Brilliant Post!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilium)
    Earlier, you mentioned that you would consider staying at NYU for a PhD in philosophy. Why not go for their joint JD-PhD program? Funding?
    JDs are not funded in the US and an NYU law degree costs $75,000/year.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) The university is particularly known for attracting Chinese students, but I've certainly met (and heard) a lot of Americans. I'd guess that US students make up the 2nd highest number of overseas students.

4) In terms of ranking it is put next to places like University of California, San Diego; Boston University; Georgia Institute of Technology; University of Texas at Austin, and so on (and in the QS World rankings, 24 places above Dartmouth College). Nottingham is arguably of Ivy League standard therefore.
    Thanks Currently browsing your pictures
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olddad)
    Brilliant Post!
    Thanks Currently browsing your pictures
    Glad you liked it I'm clearly a rather crappy photographer, but you get the idea of what it's like. On a day as beautiful as that it's hard to take any genuinely bad pictures (incidentally it's a very similar day today).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    Haha I've seen your album before, great job with the post above too!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad you liked it I'm clearly a rather crappy photographer, but you get the idea of what it's like. On a day as beautiful as that it's hard to take any genuinely bad pictures (incidentally it's a very similar day today).
    The campus looks absolutely amazing!

I'm excited to have a real campus - big change lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    JDs are not funded in the US and an NYU law degree costs $75,000/year.
    The price was my initial hunch. What happened with Cambridge? I can recall that you applied to them...or am I way off here?

As was made evident via our PMs, I have an interest in philosophy and applied mathematics, and was checking if the Courant Institute had joint degrees in them. (I believe only Notre Dame and Princeton have those, which makes things infinitely harder for me...and anyone I guess!) That's how I came upon the joint JD-PhD program at NYU. In my Google searches, I also came across someone who received a scholarship for the JD program (and I am *guessing* funding for the philosophy program). Maybe that might work out for you? You have a double major, with two minors at NYU. The guy I mentioned had a BA in Philosophy from Harvard and no other thing that I can recall was noticeable. How hard could it be?!

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and I respect and understand your position in applying to the UK.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    The price was my initial hunch. What happened with Cambridge? I can recall that you applied to them...or am I way off here?
    You're correct, I did. They did not offer me a place, sadly.

As was made evident via our PMs, I have an interest in philosophy and applied mathematics, and was checking if the Courant Institute had joint degrees in them. (I believe only Notre Dame and Princeton have those, which makes things infinitely harder for me...and anyone I guess!) That's how I came upon the joint JD-PhD program at NYU. In my Google searches, I also came across someone who received a scholarship for the JD program (and I am *guessing* funding for the philosophy program). Maybe that might work out for you? You have a double major, with two minors at NYU. The guy I mentioned had a BA in Philosophy from Harvard and no other thing that I can recall was noticeable. How hard could it be?!
    I'm not sure if the Courant Institute has joint programs between philosophy and applied mathematics, at least not at the graduate level. You can do mathematics within the Courant Institute and philosophy within CAS as an undergraduate, no problem.

Every NYU Philosophy PhD is fully funded.

However, getting a scholarship for NYU law is laughably hard. It's the #5 law school in the country, right below Columbia. The typical accepted student has an LSAT score of 171-173... Which translates into scoring in the 98% or higher. That's the AVERAGE student at NYU law. Which means getting a scholarship from NYU is insane.

In the US, Universities use their law schools as 'cash cows'; they use them to make a lot of money to help fund those departments which make very little money or lose money.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and I respect and understand your position in applying to the UK.
    Thanks

I'm hoping to return to the US at some point and complete a philosophy PhD, hopefully at NYU or Princeton - as these are where the best ethicists reside, since Derek Parfit was recently ejected from Oxford due to his age; and I'm hoping to continue with studies in political and social ethics - which studies in law and legal theory can greatly aid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're correct, I did. They did not offer me a place, sadly.
    I recently concluded, with the help of a member from another forum (their posts), that one will have to jump through many, many hoops throughout one's life. Granted, one may miss a hoop or more. The truth is that this is absolute okay. Ultimately, what is more important, is whether one is happy and whether one can make things work for them. Who cares if one is in a Tier 1 law school as oppose to a Tier 2, as long as one performs? :-) :-)
    If they, or anybody else, didn't want you, **** them.

I strongly believe that I can achieve a good academic career in applied math/physics, even if I go to an average uni in Europe, so long as I perform well. What is more important, imo, is what I do as a graduate student/researcher, as opposed to where I went. Of course, things are different for the more vocational disciplines.

Again, I do find those prices ridiculous.

Do you intend to practice law? Academically, I doubt that things would be a problem.

Another thing I heavily dislike is the importance of standardised tests in graduate admissions. Performance in the LSAT, GMAT, GRE and subject specific GRE does not co-relate to performance in the relevant graduate program! It's a flipping standardised test and while I understand that it may test reasoning and knowledge, I really don't understand why it is given so much importance!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recently concluded, with the help of a member from another forum (their posts), that one will have to jump through many, many hoops throughout one's life. Granted, one may miss a hoop or more. The truth is that this is absolute okay. Ultimately, what is more important, is whether one is happy and whether one can make things work for them. Who cares if one is in a Tier 1 law school as oppose to a Tier 2, as long as one performs? :-)

If they, or anybody else, didn't want you, **** them.
    Very much agreed, especially with the last line

Especially in this case, from what I can tell, the disparity between Oxbridge and Nottingham isn't significant when comes to the respectability and employability of a law degree from Nottingham.

I strongly believe that I can achieve a good academic career in applied math/physics, even if I go to an average uni in Europe, so long as I perform well. What is more important, imo, is what I do as a graduate student/researcher, as opposed to where I went. Of course, things are different for the more vocational disciplines.
    So long as you do well in your undergraduate, it doesn't really matter where you went. In the US, graduate schools constantly tell people that not having gone to a top university for undergraduate in no way bars them from getting into a top-ranked graduate program.

Again, I do find those prices ridiculous.
    They truly are; especially with Congress currently deciding if they want to DOUBLE the interest rate on education loans.

Do you intend to practice law? Academically, I doubt that things would be a problem.
    Yes, I'm hoping to practice at least for a little while - whether I practice before or after obtaining a PhD, I'm not sure yet.

Another thing I heavily dislike is the importance of standardised tests in graduate admissions. Performance in the LSAT, GMAT, GRE and subject specific GRE does not co-relate to performance in the relevant graduate program! It's a flipping standardised test and while I understand that it may test reasoning and knowledge, I really don't understand why it is given so much importance!
    Again, I completely agree. Some graduate programs have started to realize this - for example, for philosophy, Brown and MIT do not require any standardized testing and both are excellent programs. NYU only 'considers' the GRE. As members of the NYU philosophy department have said to me a number of time, success or lack thereof on the GRE in no way corresponds to one's philosophical knowledge or ability to succeed in a philosophy program.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    -
    Amazing pictures
    Did you need to edit any these pictures first, or are these the natural product of your Canon?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.