The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As I said, you need to adapt to some of these things. 1 run isn't enough to tell but up to you.

I think whoever told you that going wider (when you are stronger with a narrower grip) is giving you bad advice. Unless you're only stronger with narrower because you always did narrow before and thus are used to it. Even then, meh, I'd go medium and stick to that.
I swear my body is such a ****. I did rack pulls today (bar elevated 3" higher than normal) and I found it harder...

MIND = BLOWN

Could switch to 15" and make it easier or stick to this dead zone and develop power from 12" instead. (bar is approx 8.87" off the floor normally).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by Michael XYZ
As I said, you need to adapt to some of these things. 1 run isn't enough to tell but up to you.

I think whoever told you that going wider (when you are stronger with a narrower grip) is giving you bad advice. Unless you're only stronger with narrower because you always did narrow before and thus are used to it. Even then, meh, I'd go medium and stick to that.

yh i'm continuing the run, dunno what to change tho as i'm obviously not doing something right if i'm not progressing at all and in some cases getting weaker.
it would be a waste doing 2 months and gaining a ton of weight to see no progress. most ppl on 5/3/1 see progress within the first month.... ****s working well for my bro, asked him and his puzzled too.

matt told me to widen my grip a tad when i first joined his gym, when i tried a closer grip the other week my bench actually went up....has decent cross-over i guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
there are a lot of strong wide grip benchers, and they don't have any more injury trouble than those who close grip

I bench around medium grip
Original post by commandant
there are a lot of strong wide grip benchers, and they don't have any more injury trouble than those who close grip

I bench around medium grip

That may be true but it'd be wrong to take from that that wide = narrow in terms of injuries. Simply not the case.

Also, most do very wide and single-ply/multi-ply which protects shoulders a ton so that's not fair comparison.

In terms of raw. Well, KK is damn strong and he said they always told him to do wide but he realised in time that it's better to do narrow/medium and prevent injuries.
Reply 185
I've never done 5/3/1 but surely if you are gaining too much weight then that is down to how much you are eating and not the program...
Reply 186
Original post by GQ.
I've never done 5/3/1 but surely if you are gaining too much weight then that is down to how much you are eating and not the program...

not crying about gaining weight bro, i'm complaining due to the fact i'm gaining a ton of weight and not getting stronger and in some cases weaker.

i'm run this for 1 more month tho, if it all fails i guess that's 3 months of training down the pan o well.
It's a little strange. Are you following program to the letter? You're still smashing the targets to just keep moving forward?

Original post by Gallium
not crying about gaining weight bro, i'm complaining due to the fact i'm gaining a ton of weight and not getting stronger and in some cases weaker.

i'm run this for 1 more month tho, if it all fails i guess that's 3 months of training down the pan o well.
Reply 188
Original post by redbuthotter
It's a little strange. Are you following program to the letter? You're still smashing the targets to just keep moving forward?

yeahh man, took 90% of my maxes.

on week 3 the programme had to do pretty much my previous 5 rep maxes

for deadlift i got 3, squat 4, ohp 3, and bench i got 6 ( only improvement)

2nd cycle started today got ohp 55x7, my pb on that weight was 10 reps before 5/3/1

i actually lowered my maxes this month, used the +3 week to calculate new maxes, may cut down on assistance work too as in do 3 sets instead of 5
lol that is proper weird, and you're fully healthy ect?? Get your blood tested :P

Original post by Gallium
yeahh man, took 90% of my maxes.

on week 3 the programme had to do pretty much my previous 5 rep maxes

for deadlift i got 3, squat 4, ohp 3, and bench i got 6 ( only improvement)

2nd cycle started today got ohp 55x7, my pb on that weight was 10 reps before 5/3/1

i actually lowered my maxes this month, used the +3 week to calculate new maxes, may cut down on assistance work too as in do 3 sets instead of 5
Reply 190
lol that is proper weird, and you're fully healthy ect?? Get your blood tested :P

lol i feel ****ing fine tbh, even days were i feel pumped and like a god, i don't get a pb. maybe 5/3/1 not for me. maybe my body doesn't respond to doing high reps? maybe 1 challenging set isn't enough lol

it's a learning curve i guess, when i was doing ohp 2-3 times per week and doing super low reps like 2-5....**** was moving up quick.
Reply 191
I swear my body is such a kunt. I did rack pulls today (bar elevated 3" higher than normal) and I found it harder...

MIND = BLOWN

Could switch to 15" and make it easier or stick to this dead zone and develop power from 12" instead. (bar is approx 8.87" off the floor normally).

Rack pulls from below the knee are hard. Don't think your experience here is atypical. Whenever I've rack pulled from below the knee I've used the same weight as I would off the floor.
Was it your brother who's on 531 for 2 years and made good progress? I personally don't like it too, it did work for my press iirc, but personally I don't like high reps for deadlift even during warmup.

Original post by Gallium
lol i feel ****ing fine tbh, even days were i feel pumped and like a god, i don't get a pb. maybe 5/3/1 not for me. maybe my body doesn't respond to doing high reps? maybe 1 challenging set isn't enough lol

it's a learning curve i guess, when i was doing ohp 2-3 times per week and doing super low reps like 2-5....**** was moving up quick.
Reply 193
I swear my body is such a kunt. I did rack pulls today (bar elevated 3" higher than normal) and I found it harder...

MIND = BLOWN

No, that's quite common.
Reply 194
On 5/3/1:

Agree with the others that you can't judge it from one cycle. You're using submaximal weight relative to what you were doing prior to 5/3/1 so you're not presenting your body with a bigger stimulus than you were prior to 5/3/1 (I'm ignoring assistance work here which isn't really fair but meh). So of course you're not going to get stronger. The entire point is that the submaximal weights used slowly increase.

Seems to me you chop and change a lot. Just pick something and stick to it for 6 months or more.. Doesn't have to be an established programme (though obviously, lots of established programmes are very good).
Where shuld/do people rack pull from? Would it be better to work the weak position or go to 15" where its likely to be easier and work that instead.
what are peoples opinion on chopping parts of programs they think work best for each particular lift.

Say maxing on my squat works well and I like it, and for bench I need a little more volume like texas method and then DL's I throw in some speed and racks or follow some set program.

I wouldn't want to do TM for my squats more would I like to maxout on my bench regularly.

Anyone else feel this way about training?
Reply 197
Where shuld/do people rack pull from? Would it be better to work the weak position or go to 15" where its likely to be easier and work that instead.

I'm weak so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I don't really rate rack pulls. Above the knee I can use silly weight. Doesn't get me any better at pulling from the floor.

If I rack pulled regularly as opposed to when I get annoyed with from floor pulls so want to move some heavy ass weight, I'd pull from an inch or so below the knee because that might actually help my DL.
Well 9, 12 and 15" are all below the knee so the question is really... how far below the knee is good.

deciding between 12 and 15 because I have heard good things about racks.

Original post by RawJoh1
I'm weak so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I don't really rate rack pulls. Above the knee I can use silly weight. Doesn't get me any better at pulling from the floor.

If I rack pulled regularly as opposed to when I get annoyed with from floor pulls so want to move some heavy ass weight, I'd pull from an inch or so below the knee because that might actually help my DL.
Reply 199

Well I was always fine from the floor, but had trouble locking out. I think I did mine just below the knee, and I think it helped my lockout.

Latest