The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Jakeeyy
How does that work? Im assuming you work in reps of 5,3,1?

This is the book: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?pid=2976

I found this calculator for 531 as well. http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

I would advise acquiring the book somehow, i downloaded it, it's not hard to find. The calculator makes it easy to see what you should be doing but if you read the book and understand the mentality of 531, you can change the program slightly to suit your goals.

But it's more for intermediate and advanced lifters, as a beginner, improving every month or so is quite slow so SS is better to start off with, and then move on to 531. From what 've seen of 531, you can be on it for a long time and maintain progress
Reply 961
Original post by desijut
This is the book: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?pid=2976

I found this calculator for 531 as well. http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

I would advise acquiring the book somehow, i downloaded it, it's not hard to find. The calculator makes it easy to see what you should be doing but if you read the book and understand the mentality of 531, you can change the program slightly to suit your goals.

But it's more for intermediate and advanced lifters, as a beginner, improving every month or so is quite slow so SS is better to start off with, and then move on to 531. From what 've seen of 531, you can be on it for a long time and maintain progress

Sounds good, but the idea of squats 3 times a week puts me off haha.
Reply 962
I think I could probably count on my hands how many times over the last 3 years that I've gone into the gym and not squatted.
Reply 963
Original post by Jakeeyy
Sounds good, but the idea of squats 3 times a week puts me off haha.

you start light, so you will get used to it by the time you squat heavy
Reply 964
Original post by desijut
you start light, so you will get used to it by the time you squat heavy

To be honest, i hate squats haha.
Reply 965
Original post by Jakeeyy
To be honest, i hate squats haha.

What are your lifts atm?
Reply 966
Original post by desijut
What are your lifts atm?

Currently (at 7x4)

Deadlift- 110kg
Squat- 70kg
Bench- 60k

Pretty naff i know. I just hate the squatting motion, makes me feel really uncomfortable.
Reply 967
Original post by Jakeeyy
Currently (at 7x4)

Deadlift- 110kg
Squat- 70kg
Bench- 60k

Pretty naff i know. I just hate the squatting motion, makes me feel really uncomfortable.

The more you do it, the better you get at it
Reply 968
Original post by desijut
The more you do it, the better you get at it

Yeah I'm getting better at squats quickly which is a bonus i guess.
Thanks Monk, was hoping you'd reply.

Gym is getting ****ing stupid now though... a few days ago some guy was doing calf raises on smith machine and must have ****ed up his back. He was doing them on these step things so now they've taken them away. I wanted to box squat and asked to use them and he said no because of what happened. Lolwut? What kind of logic is that? The steps aren't what caused it... I don't see them selling the smith machine and buying something useful instead!

Later on was also reading a sign saying that muscle-ups are now not allowed. Again, lolwut?

It's only time till they start saying you can't do squats or deadlifts. ****ing pathetic excuse for a gym. How can you be chubby and work at a gym?! ****ing failures working there.
you mad?
Reply 971
Original post by Michael XYZ
How can you be chubby and work at a gym?! ****ing failures working there.

They don't count... you know what I mean!
Original post by Michael XYZ
Thanks Monk, was hoping you'd reply.

Gym is getting ****ing stupid now though... a few days ago some guy was doing calf raises on smith machine and must have ****ed up his back. He was doing them on these step things so now they've taken them away. I wanted to box squat and asked to use them and he said no because of what happened. Lolwut? What kind of logic is that? The steps aren't what caused it... I don't see them selling the smith machine and buying something useful instead!

Later on was also reading a sign saying that muscle-ups are now not allowed. Again, lolwut?

It's only time till they start saying you can't do squats or deadlifts. ****ing pathetic excuse for a gym. How can you be chubby and work at a gym?! ****ing failures working there.

we have a new PT at our gym, he is about 5'1 and chubby. He keeps sticking up posters around the gym about diet and nutrition, awful spelling mistakes and keeps ending sentences like this!!!!!!!!! I'm surprised the management allow it.

Also he has a kind of fact-file thing up on the wall. Greatest achievement: Getting to the Royal Marine Selections.

So what lol? If he passed it I'd be impressed!
I guess that's an achievement at 5'1. Unless it just means he lied on his application lol.
Reply 975
My quads were burning on my 4th rep of a 5RM deadlift, i did (relatively) heavy front squats before this , is the a plausible enough reason to have felt my quads on deadlift?
Reply 976
Attended my first BBing show (spectating not competing lol) tonight. Just a local show (Mr Southport), was great fun, would definitely go to another. Might see if there are still tickets available for the North West.

Good few folks from my gym competed, mostly in the novice class. Guy from my gym won the closed Mr class, but was just fortunate imo that none of the competition had any legs (his biggest weakness by a mile). Novice class was the best imo, there was a draw on points! If some of the novices had entered the Open Mr they would've done well I think.

Decent guest posing too, including a 64 year old man from my gym that's been BBing for 40+ years, kept training through cancer and is generally just all-round awesome.
Original post by RawJoh1
Attended my first BBing show (spectating not competing lol) tonight. Just a local show (Mr Southport), was great fun, would definitely go to another. Might see if there are still tickets available for the North West.

Good few folks from my gym competed, mostly in the novice class. Guy from my gym won the closed Mr class, but was just fortunate imo that none of the competition had any legs (his biggest weakness by a mile). Novice class was the best imo, there was a draw on points! If some of the novices had entered the Open Mr they would've done well I think.

Decent guest posing too, including a 64 year old man from my gym that's been BBing for 40+ years, kept training through cancer and is generally just all-round awesome.

I've been to one BB show and enjoyed it. The biggest weakness there was also legs.
Original post by Jakeeyy
How would you say this relates to muscle mass?

People who are repping big weights have a tendency to be big. For bodybuilding/size, your 6-10RM is more important than your 1RM.

Normal 3-4 days splits are based around one big compound movement and then accessory/assistance/other work related to those muscle groups.

e.g.
'Chest and Tris'
Bench Press: work up to 1-3 (6-12 reps per set)heavy sets near failure
Incline DB Press: work up to 1-3 (6-12 reps per set) heavy sets near failure
Machine Press/Dip: work up to 3 straight sets
Flyes/Pec Deck: couple of high rep sets to get blood through the muscle
Skullcrushers/pushdowns or something until you're really pumped

'Back and Bis'
Deadlift: work up to a heavy set of 5 or something similar
Chins/Lat Pulldowns: work up to 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps
Barbell Row/Cable Row/T-Bar: work up to 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps.
Rear delt raises: sets of 8-20?
Some curl variations for sets of 8-12 maybe?

Obviously you could substitute incline bench for flat bench or perhaps some kind of block/rack pull for deadlifts if your mobility isn't up to scratch but the general pattern is reasonably simple: start off with your big compound excercise and then move to some kind of variant then perhaps another variant before doing some kind of isolation/single joint work.

When I say work up to I mean something like this (assuming a 100kg bench 1 rep max)
Barx10 40x5 60x5 70x3 80x10 in terms of working up to your 'work set(s)' where 80kg is your work set. Obviously that numbers I'm throwing around are purely hypothetical and the weaker you are, the fewer ramped sets you need.
Reply 979
back to the gym after 2-3 weeks off, anyone know of any easy chicken recipes, getting bored of chicken and rice

Latest