The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Michael XYZ
Getting strong on assistance lifts is fine.

Honestly, why does everyone NEED to get a stronger 3? Unless you powerlift/want to powerlift there's no 100% requirement to raise them.

For some period you may have constant 3 lifts but assistance lifts jumping high. If you care about a mixture of strength and size then your strength is rising and so is your size. Strength =/= 3 lifts. Powerlifting = 3 lifts.

I'm going to literally slap you if you've decided to cut again.

i agree to an extent, strength and size gains are not always linear..... i'm going through a phase were i'm not getting much stronger but i'm putting on a ton of size, just waiting for that period wer my strengh shoots up!
You got to set goals and then think intelligently about how to achieve them.

There are people I talk to who say they only care about size yet they're getting annoyed about some strength number. Who cares? Sure, it's an ego thing you want to hit 3-plate squat or 4-plate deadlift or whatever but it doesn't really matter if your goal is purely size.

If you want to be strong then define strong and then go after that. If it's generally strong and you're bench is stuck on 80kg but you went from 30kg DBs for 10 reps to 34kg DBs for 10 reps then are you not stronger?
Reply 82
You got to set goals and then think intelligently about how to achieve them.

There are people I talk to who say they only care about size yet they're getting annoyed about some strength number. Who cares? Sure, it's an ego thing you want to hit 3-plate squat or 4-plate deadlift or whatever but it doesn't really matter if your goal is purely size.

If you want to be strong then define strong and then go after that. If it's generally strong and you're bench is stuck on 80kg but you went from 30kg DBs for 10 reps to 34kg DBs for 10 reps then are you not stronger?

even if you care about 'size' only you got to have some kinda strength you don't see ifbb pros squatting ****ty weight lol.

but **** i had to squat in the mono-lift today so weird..... i pretty much hate it. For some reason the gym floor has become all slippery and i can't squat in the power-rack as i almost slipped (the floors like an ice ring)

i concluded also that doing lower reps gets me much stronger as in i added multiple singles for deadlfit only after my main 5/3/1 set and it got stronger while my other lifts stayed the same. think 5/3/1 for pwoerlifting it is.

leg presses after heavy squats ****ing kill such a good finisher
Original post by Chumbaniya
If you're scared about squatting, two things will probably be key - technique and experience. Experience is pretty obvious - the more you squat, the more accurate your understanding of what you're able to handle. Technique is another big one because if you haven't got it right, you'll be less consistent and you'll wobble around more. If you have good technique, even when you're under a bar that's near the limit of what you can do, you should be able to drive it up and remain steady. If you don't, then when you're doing high effort work you'll be prone to little wobbles that throw you off, and if you feel that way that will obviously knock your confidence.

My advice would probably be to really drop your squat weight down for now (and keep doing your heavier exercise with the assistance lifts you've been doing) so you can work on technique. Watch some videos of good squats and try to drill the cues into your mind while you're at a weight low enough that you can focus on the technique rather than on whether you can complete the lift. Maybe in the end you'll still decide you don't want to squat, but it's that useful a lift that I wouldn't drop it because you lack confidence.

Cheers boss. Some good advice, gonna drop the squat to 70-75kg and work back up with some heavy leg presses alongside to keep legs growing. Similar with DL.

Sorry to pollute the thread with something I probably knew the answer to anyway, even if I didn't want to hear it. :colondollar:
Reply 84
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Cheers boss. Some good advice, gonna drop the squat to 70-75kg and work back up with some heavy leg presses alongside to keep legs growing. Similar with DL.

Sorry to pollute the thread with something I probably knew the answer to anyway, even if I didn't want to hear it. :colondollar:

My legs have grown phenominally from squats; a pair of very loose jeans are now a pair that are nearly too tight to wear. This after only 3 months :tongue:

That was probably the best advice for it. Only add 2.5kg each time, if you do it 3 times per week, that's 15kg in 2 weeks. Obviously you cant keep it up but at this stage you can.
Have the contest winners been decided yet?
Reply 86
Have the contest winners been decided yet?

Lol. Bit slow.

Yea they have in a separate thread.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero

It's not polluting the thread at all - I think pretty much any lifter has been in a position where they start to dislike a lift because they're trying to keep pushing at it without making real improvements, and sometimes you just need someone to come and tell you to reset it, swallow your pride on the weight and work on your form. People know what they need to do but often need a little push to actually get it done.
Original post by GQ.
Lol. Bit slow.

Yea they have in a separate thread.

Go on? Link.

Edit: Found it. I was looking before and didn't see that thread.

Well done to winners.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Big deadlift PB for me 2 days ago, videoed it and its below, constructive criticism please.

Form isnt great cos its my 1rm, I realise I pull too much with my back and hamstrings and need to involve legs/quads more. Back rounds a bit and struggled to lock out but i got it :smile:

[video="youtube_share;IRdI6CfqRNI"]http://youtu.be/IRdI6CfqRNI[/video]
Reply 92
Original post by Khanage
Big deadlift PB for me 2 days ago, videoed it and its below, constructive criticism please.

Form isnt great cos its my 1rm, I realise I pull too much with my back and hamstrings and need to involve legs/quads more. Back rounds a bit and struggled to lock out but i got it :smile:

SOLID. TIGHT. STRONG.

But seriously man great lift! Wish I was at that weight. Maybe put a little more slack on the bar before you lift it? Might help with you posture. But pretty good form I would say for a 1RM.
Reply 93
Original post by Khanage

Are you wearing running shoes?
Original post by Khanage

I was waiting for you to drop your arse a bit and start the deadlift, then you lifted it from where you did and i was slightly shocked.

Impressive lift though
Anecdotally, lots of people are stronger stiff legged. The only advice I would have is to try and get tighter on the setup, which probably involved spending less time in the bottom position. This should give you a bit more of a stretch reflex and eliminating the hip bobble will help you get tighter. Also, you look ever so slightly as if you are pulling up, not back but the bar isn't floating away from you, which is unusual if that is the case. Good pull regardless.
I've seen adolescent dogs hump less then that lol. Good stuff.
My biggest advice to Khanage would be to get some deadlift slippers!
Reply 98
Original post by Khanage
x

You def have more in you if you take off those trainers!
Nice PB though!
Reply 99
nice pb man, i deadlfit pretty much like you except i drop my hips alot, but soon as i pull my hips rise to fast.

think i finally started adapting to higher volume training, no longer getting crazy doms in my legs.

Original post by Herr Stamper
I've seen adolescent dogs hump less then that lol. Good stuff.

what do you think of high volume deadlfit, i have a buddy who every dl session works upto a max from the floor and then after pulls off the highest box and goes for singles on that then finally he drops a plate each side and does a few reps untill his left with nothing.

Latest