The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mituozo
Oh I know, you can definitely end up doing a job that you enjoy doing - but it still comes second best IMO to being able to do whatever you want, when you want to do it. If I don't make a success out of myself running things myself then I'd at least look to do something I love/enjoy doing, even if it meant perhaps not earning as much money as doing a hard slog in a miserable corporate environment that I despised.

I think lots of people associate having a load of money with ferraris, fancy mansions etc, but they're not things that really do bring happiness. I got a nice new car when I sold my first company just under a year ago now, and yeah I enjoy driving it and it made me happy for a couple of weeks, it hasn't changed my life though - it perhaps improves about an hour a day that I spend in the car and that's about it. It also would never make up for not having good personal relationships, friends, family, etc. It's always a shame when you see people losing those things in an attempt to climb the career ladder. It's like sure - you now have the six figure salary, but when are you going to spend it? Who are you going to spend your wealth with? A hooker? Experiences and memories are priceless, and the only thing that anyone holds onto even in the last seconds of their life.

Deep.

for real though I agree. I don't think I'll ever have the motivation to get to a high level in a job but as long as I can do something I don't hate, and can provide for my family, I'll be happy
At the moment I'd quite happily take a memory of driving home to my big mansion in a Ferrari to find 3 hookers waiting for me on the bed to my death bed. Don't know about the rest of you?
Mituozo what I haven't quite got so far, do you think anyone can do what you have done?

Tbh though, whenever I've done exotic holidays I found them a bit over whelming and not that great. I went to India and if you gave me the opportunity to go again I'd still prefer to go camping in Devon with my mates. What I do agree with you on is you need to keep doing new things and going outside your comfort zone or the monotony will waste away your life before you know it. However you don't need to trek all the way to Australia to do it.
Reply 1043
Original post by mituozo
It's tech-based, if you want to know more send me a PM, don't really want too much info on a student forum. :smile:

Angel investor wise was a mixture. Met the first by networking, going to events and subsequently talking to people on LinkedIn. If you ask people for advice without being pushy they tend to be surprisingly helpful. You'd talk to someone and even if they weren't interested they'd often introduce you to someone else who might be, etc..

From there we ended up finding a contact high up in an investment network who helped with putting together our business plan and refining the pitch a bit, as he knew exactly what sort of things investors are looking for at the moment.

It's a numbers game I guess - the more people you get in front of, the more chance you've got of finding that person that'll give you the money you need. In the end you only have to convince one person that you've got a good idea and that you're the right person to do it (at least originally, anyway.. if you're looking to raise millions it's a bit different). Investors don't always invest logically too, they're just as prone to the human instincts that we all have, and will go after what's hot, etc too. (Just look at some of the recent big tech investments that leave you thinking.. Wtf?).. I remember the investment network guy telling me a story about how a company he helped to raise money ended up getting the money because they were doing something that made ski's to solve a specific problem. He happened to put him in front of someone who had that very specific ski problem, and the guy pretty much handed over a blank check. He was happy to put the money into the company just for someone to solve his problem so that he could get back into skiing, lol.

I'd always recommend finding a co-founder though if you want to start something - very few successful businesses have one single founder. Having a second person is infinitely useful when it comes to exchanging ideas, getting over hurdles and even just dealing with general stress / down days. The whole experience is a complete emotional rollercoaster. One day you've raised a load of money, getting some nice PR coverage and score your first customer, the next day your first employee wants to walk out the door, your servers are all crashing and getting anywhere feels like you've got a huge mountain to climb.

One word: freedom.

The freedom to know that tomorrow morning you don't have to get up at 6am, to go to work for someone else. The freedom to say "tomorrow I could move to Australia" and know you wouldn't even need to worry about money, or to impulsively go on that holiday to wherever, to see the world, and spend time doing what you truly want to do with your life.

I can certainly think of much better ways to spend my life than working 9-5 for the next 40 years, worrying about keeping up with mortgage payments and enjoying my one 2 week holiday abroad on the Costa Del Sol each year.

Wow great stuff man. Thanks. Will give you a PM.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Mituozo what I haven't quite got so far, do you think anyone can do what you have done?

Tbh though, whenever I've done exotic holidays I found them a bit over whelming and not that great. I went to India and if you gave me the opportunity to go again I'd still prefer to go camping in Devon with my mates. What I do agree with you on is you need to keep doing new things and going outside your comfort zone or the monotony will waste away your life before you know it. However you don't need to trek all the way to Australia to do it.

I don't think I've done anything particularly amazing really. I guess I'm lucky so far as I started teaching myself how to program and such about 10 years ago, so have a solid basis and useful web skills which happen to coincide with a time when the web is booming, but they're skills which aren't too hard to pick up if you're a vaguely intelligent person. I was lucky to have a supportive father as well, who rather than dismissing what I was doing, encouraged me to keep at it - which definitely helped in my early-mid teens. My mum didn't understand at all mind, and just worried intently that I locked myself away in my room for a couple years, lol.

I had next to no life though when I was 12-16. No friends really, just sat away in my room programming things. That changed when I got to ~16/17 and I became much more social etc. I don't worry too much about that though, so far as that made me who I am and if I hadn't have had such a ****ty time in secondary school then maybe I wouldn't have achieved what I did with my first "real" website.

It doesn't have to be about exotic holidays or anything else, just doing whatever you want to do. If that's camping in Devon then so be it. When you work most fulltime jobs, your life has to take a structure which isn't determined by you - which is the main thing I'm getting at. If you have enough money to be financially secure for the rest of your life, you get to determine its structure yourself.
Reply 1045
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Don't' mean this in a patronising/preachy way but what do people want to spend their money on that 60k a year is something to be sniffed at?

Is it all about retiring early, kids quality of life or what?

I'd probably give quite a lot away, I just want security/to win at having money:p:
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
duuuuuude, remind me why you went back into education again?

It's just what I want to do. I never really wanted the job I had before and it's confirmed for me the suspicion that I wouldn't get on well in a restrictive corporate environment. I had an offer for a PhD when I left university but I couldn't get funding due to my 2.2, but now, having saved a lot of money last year, I can afford to do a good masters, really nail it, and go on to get a PhD after all.
Apart from push-ups what are some things I can do at home with zero equipment?

Decided I'll skip today and possibly Thursday but then maybe just go Friday and the weekend so I'll just have missed one session.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Deep

lol exactly what I thought.

@mituozo - you seem to be enjoying your life a lot more than others and doing what you want to do. Thumbs up to that, I'm still in my last year at school and going into university with no clue what i want at the end. A lot of people keep telling me to keep networking at uni, etc (I'm doing a maths degree which apparantly means im 100% working in finance) when, what you described is what I want but i dont know how to get there... in my eyes i've still got time whilst others are saying "you've got to think ahead and act now".... Yeah i'm confused.
My housemates friends came round and was having ago at me because I quit my boring previous job but potentially good money to per-sue a job I actually enjoy. Typical money grabbing females.

There is studies on how long buying a Ferrari makes you happy and then turns into something expensive that gets you from A to B. Working 70 hours a week for months on end to pay for an expensive car doesn't make sense when you get very few hours of satisfaction out of it...but capitalist society will tell you it will make you happy.

To me the happiest people I see are the ones with no stressful job and a roof over their head and food on the table then some spare money to enjoy their free time.
Original post by Michael XYZ

Decided I'll skip today and possibly Thursday but then maybe just go Friday and the weekend so I'll just have missed one session.

Handstand pushups? (Handstand against the wall and push up from there) It's bascially a BW OHP and some more with all the stabilizing you need to do.

There's all sorts of push up variants.

Pull ups on doorframe?

put hands on a stable chair and feet on a desk and do dips?

Make a large pile and jump over it side to side.

Vertical jumps?

All sorts of ab work can be done...

lots more but this was off the top of my head
Reply 1051
Original post by Michael XYZ

Do a bunch of plyo stuff, didn't you say you sucked at that? Or just like, essentially conditioning bodyweight stuff's alright(burpees, BW squats, pullups, pushpus, pistol squats, handstand pushups, dips etc).
Original post by desijut
lol exactly what I thought.

@mituozo - you seem to be enjoying your life a lot more than others and doing what you want to do. Thumbs up to that, I'm still in my last year at school and going into university with no clue what i want at the end. A lot of people keep telling me to keep networking at uni, etc (I'm doing a maths degree which apparantly means im 100% working in finance) when, what you described is what I want but i dont know how to get there... in my eyes i've still got time whilst others are saying "you've got to think ahead and act now".... Yeah i'm confused.

Take part in the entrepreneurship soc at your university, virtually all the unis have one now. Be a good place to meet some like minded people interested in similar things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lean-Startup-Eric-Ries/dp/0307887898

Is well worth a read too, if you're seriously considering starting something. School doesn't teach people enough about entrepreneurship/starting up etc, which is a shame really. You only hear about the very "traditional" career choices, which can make the act of going out alone and trying to do something yourself even more daunting than it should be.

In the end if you start something and it doesn't get anywhere, you'll still learn a lot and at least know you've tried it. Then you can give it another go later on / know it's not for you. At least then you don't live your whole life thinking "what if I started that business instead of going into xyz grad job" etc.. I mean if you start a business after graduating, it gets no where and goes bankrupt, what's the worst that can happen? You have to move in with your parents for a couple of months while you find another job? It only gets harder to start a business the older you get, because your appetite for risk decreases and your responsibilities increase. (e.g. if you get married, have a family to support, etc) The grad job will wait until after the business, and taking the initiative to start something yourself, raising finance, etc looks excellent on your CV, especially in a time when so many people graduating with degrees lack soft skills and basic skills needed in a business.

I'd finish your degree before starting out though, perhaps do some side projects/something small while at uni, because at least then you have the degree to fall back on. I'm in a position at the moment where I have to decide this summer whether to finish my degree and stop much of the work on the business or abandon my degree and stick to the business, which is tough.
(edited 12 years ago)
Remembered my bands so I just ****ed around doing a mixture of different things with bodyweight and bands. Hopefully getting some blood moving and all will help with recovery and I'll be even better off for it.
Original post by mituozo
Take part in the entrepreneurship soc at your university, virtually all the unis have one now. Be a good place to meet some like minded people interested in similar things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lean-Startup-Eric-Ries/dp/0307887898

Is well worth a read too, if you're seriously considering starting something. School doesn't teach people enough about entrepreneurship/starting up etc, which is a shame really. You only hear about the very "traditional" career choices, which can make the act of going out alone and trying to do something yourself even more daunting than it should be.

In the end if you start something and it doesn't get anywhere, you'll still learn a lot and at least know you've tried it. Then you can give it another go later on / know it's not for you. At least then you don't live your whole life thinking "what if I started that business instead of going into xyz grad job" etc.. I mean if you start a business after graduating, it gets no where and goes bankrupt, what's the worst that can happen? You have to move in with your parents for a couple of months while you find another job? It only gets harder to start a business the older you get, because your appetite for risk decreases and your responsibilities increase. (e.g. if you get married, have a family to support, etc) The grad job will wait until after the business, and taking the initiative to start something yourself, raising finance, etc looks excellent on your CV, especially in a time when so many people graduating with degrees lack soft skills and basic skills needed in a business.

I'd finish your degree before starting out though, perhaps do some side projects/something small while at uni, because at least then you have the degree to fall back on. I'm in a position at the moment where I have to decide this summer whether to finish my degree and stop much of the work on the business or abandon my degree and stick to the business, which is tough.

Cheers, Cambridge/Imperial would most definately have one, and I agree about how school just make you think that getting a degree is the only option. I will have a look at the book too.

Luckily I can get advice from my dad, I think he tried running his own business or something (dont know the detail, will probe him on this) and failed (i think) but now he runs another one, which is now pretty successful, and by no means did he start with money. He always tells me the stories where he would struggle for money for nappies for me, but the turn around that's been made over those 18 years is impressive. I can remember when we moved house (only 5mins away but the difference was massive). What you described reminded me of him. He tells me work hard and you can be like this some day. (Wakes up when he wants, goes in when he wants). I can remember the days when my dad would be gone to another country for his job for a week, or he would work in london but get home so late i wouldn't see him.

Only thing is, i have no idea of what I want to do. (No not gonna take over his business)
Looks like Pat Mendes has finally been popped, along with another of Broz's lifters... so can we finally stop this nonsense that you can squat everyday up to maximum without being "on" now?
Reply 1056
Kinda disappointed.
I reckon doing 90-95% is pretty comfortable naturally. I know what you mean though, doing that for months on end is pretty tough. Quite a few people have documented maximal squatting for a couple months without too many problems.

Do you reckon clarence0 is on?

Original post by Smack
Looks like Pat Mendes has finally been popped, along with another of Broz's lifters... so can we finally stop this nonsense that you can squat everyday up to maximum without being "on" now?
I haven't heard of anyone natural who squatted every day to a maximum.
Monks friend, did 40 days max box squat, put on 27kg. Alex tait, U4AMIR, me all done 5-6 max squats a week for a couple months on end. It's not that bad. Making progress and pushing through tough times.... is another issue. I don't think its black and white though, if someone paid me to squat 180+ everyday for the next year I would have a none zero chance of succeeding imo.

Latest