The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gallium
if being dips lately and i'm finding that i feel them on my traps/shoulder mroe then my tricep, i have difficulty keeping my elbows in :wink:, the only way i can get the contraction on my tricep is if i do them really slow.

i think dips are harder then they look lol( ás in form)

also did cleans for the first time ever today, got told by some big guy that i have good form, he told me to shurg the bar up more instead of doing a slight curl like motion.

Yeah you barely need to use your arms at all. You use your legs and extension throughout the body to get the bar high enough.
I get really achy shoulders for like 30 seconds after every set of dips. That's as far as pain goes for me doing them.
Original post by Becca
Yeah you barely need to use your arms at all. You use your legs and extension throughout the body to get the bar high enough.

i might just add them in to my routine, any good videos or cues that will help me? also some reps the bar hits my knees ;(, i'm keeping the weight light atm to nail the form.
Original post by Gallium
i might just add them in to my routine, any good videos or cues that will help me? also some reps the bar hits my knees ;(, i'm keeping the weight light atm to nail the form.

Yeah you need to get your knees out of the way by pushing them out slightly. I find thinking "use your legs" really helpful and just keep your whole back solid. Think about whipping your elbows round and racking the bar like a boss. Engage the lats in the final pull.
IMO you don't want the weight to be too light, or you'll just lift with your arms, what kinds of weights are you doing?

Some of the best vids I've found are the Cal Strength ones: http://www.californiastrength.com/videos/viewcategory/14/clean
Original post by Becca
Yeah you need to get your knees out of the way by pushing them out slightly. I find thinking "use your legs" really helpful and just keep your whole back solid. Think about whipping your elbows round and racking the bar like a boss. Engage the lats in the final pull.
IMO you don't want the weight to be too light, or you'll just lift with your arms, what kinds of weights are you doing?

Some of the best vids I've found are the Cal Strength ones: http://www.californiastrength.com/videos/viewcategory/14/clean

i was using 40 kilos probably to light i can dead lift like 160 for 3-5 reps, i'll just just do some cleans as a pre- deadlfit warm up tmoz and work up slowly., some guy told me to not point my feet out keep them straight etc etc, i see some people clean without the bar even touching their thighs, your meant to drive your hips into the bar right?( as in rape the bar?)

edit: going to do hang cleans for the first few weeks until i can get the catch position perfect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gallium
i was using 40 kilos probably to light i can dead lift like 160 for 3-5 reps, i'll just just do some cleans as a pre- deadlfit warm up tmoz and work up slowly., some guy told me to not point my feet out keep them straight etc etc, i see some people clean without the bar even touching their thighs, your meant to drive your hips into the bar right?( as in rape the bar?)

edit: going to do hang cleans for the first few weeks until i can get the catch position perfect.

Yeah, the bar not touching your thighs is really wrong...you don't want to ram your hips into the bar so that it shoots out in front of you. You want the bar to go straight up, ideally. You use the hip drive to help you get the extension that then spreads to the traps. It's really hard to explain it and there's almost certainly a better explanation somewhere.
Try this: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/Clean.html
Reply 1626
I'm seeing an olympic weightlifting coach tomorrow hopefully so I'll try and pass on some info! The goal is a 150 C & J by the end of the year!
Turns out I can now easily dunk a basketball on a regulation rim, feelsgoodman.
Reply 1628
How tall?
Reply 1629
Imagine being this shredded at the age of 17

Imagine taking clen and dbol at the age of 13. ^
Reply 1631
Original post by Michael XYZ
Imagine taking clen and dbol at the age of 13. ^

Says he is natural and been working out since 12. Not buying it myself but his pics at age 13 were bigger/less bodyfat than a lot of people I see now.
Maybe he just has very good genetics, and his leanness gives the illusion of more size than he actually has?
Reply 1633
Probably weighs 130-140lbs. He has a weird sternum. Good genetics nonetheless.
Of course good genetics but, meh, seems a bit too good to be true. At 13 years old you're not going to know **** unless he had some coaches at that age so you're probably gonna be messing around if anything.

With that said, he doesn't look 17 either.
Reply 1635
He has like a 22" waist. lol
Original post by Michael XYZ
Of course good genetics but, meh, seems a bit too good to be true. At 13 years old you're not going to know **** unless he had some coaches at that age so you're probably gonna be messing around if anything.

With that said, he doesn't look 17 either.

13 year olds have the same internets as 18 year olds lol
Original post by Lozzaa
I'm seeing an olympic weightlifting coach tomorrow hopefully so I'll try and pass on some info! The goal is a 150 C & J by the end of the year!

Will be mirin' that. If I could get 150kg total in my lifetime I'd be happy. Gives me hope that one of the guys at the club did a snatch PB 2 years ago when he was 41.
Pass on any tips you get :biggrin:
Original post by SMed
How tall?

6ft1, I think.
Anyone here tried out IA's spbr? I always see it being highly praised but it
doesn't look very 'difficult'? I suppose the cliche, 'as long as you add weight to the bar, eat and sleep well' fits here too..

Might move on to it since regular squatting is causin me so much hassle

Also, what are everyones favourite ab exercises ? I quite like front squat iso holds.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest