The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Guys think about it. You are saying that if you do sports then it is easier to stay lean than controlling calories. Well yes and no. You are staying lean while doing sports because you are eating less than you body burns or maintenance without knowing. Consciously controlling calories will have the same results.

The people that play sports who are not lean definitely eat more than the amount they burn and probably drink lots also.

Staying lean or getting lean is all about calorie control. Doesn't matter what you eat as long as your calories are controlled to be lower than the amount you are burning. You could be getting your protein from cheeseburgers instead of steaks and your body (in composition terms) wouldn't know any different.
(edited 11 years ago)
If I could sprint at the moment I would get to 10% bodyfat in like 2 months and stay there while adding muscle and strength. For me competing in sports means I can ignore my diet and enjoy all aspects of training and diet. If I can do indoor rock climbing on top of this I think I will get a pretty impressive physique in 6 months time as long as my pressing improves.
No you won't. Or at least you will as much as if you controlled diet.

Why do you think you get leaner with sport? Because it uses up energy - calories. So it's the same as if you just ate less carbs, say.

Now think about which is easier to recover from - a lot of sport or eating less?

Plus, cutting and gaining size/strength are incompatible goals that only work when you're a beginner or about to cycle for your first time. Other than that, gonna be near impossible.
Reply 1683
Original post by Michael XYZ
No you won't. Or at least you will as much as if you controlled diet.

Why do you think you get leaner with sport? Because it uses up energy - calories. So it's the same as if you just ate less carbs, say.

Now think about which is easier to recover from - a lot of sport or eating less?

Plus, cutting and gaining size/strength are incompatible goals that only work when you're a beginner or about to cycle for your first time. Other than that, gonna be near impossible.

What sports do you play?
But HIIT encourages your body to burn more throughout the day, right?

I think it's more complex than people are makin out
Original post by SMed
What sports do you play?

I don't play any sports but I don't think that means I don't know about it.

When I used to play - even casually - things like football, rugby, tennis or badminton with my friends I would be fried afterwards.

Plus, this isn't me making it up. Go ahead and read articles on it and you'll see it's really the consensus.

In the end - fat loss is simple. You make it harder to recover by doing sports. In an ideal world to build muscle you'd just eat, sleep and lift - that's it! So why would adding another factor such as running for a few hours a week help that?

There's a reason players have in-season and off-season and their training changes to accommodate that.
We're talking about normal people who train and play with a community/uni team here, not high-level professional athletes
Reply 1687
Original post by Arturo Bandini
So... I'm right then? :confused::cool:

Yeah, I was just commenting that it's weird that we're having the discussion as if it's some kind of new thing.

I disagree.

Playing a sport makes it a **** load harder. You think trying to add muscle on a cut (near impossible) is going to be easier on purely diet or sport and diet? If you play a sport you're gonna kill your recovery and make it so much harder to maintain/build muscle.

Yes, you can eat more if you do more sport but the stress of playing a sport is a lot more than cutting down on some carbs.

I think it's wrong to say most who play a sport are very lean. Most who are very lean are just lifters/bodybuilders. Yes you get some 100m runners who are very lean but don't forget they are all on drugs. Plus, yes, they're quite a few lean/big NFL players but again most are not HYOOGE or very lean.

Edit: And let's not forget that most of these guys at the top of sports are genetic gods! Thus they will have it all - strength, size, lean - which will rarely be the case. Think about that one. Genetics matter a **** load too - who can boast a 315 bench press at 14 years old? Kirk Karwoski can, I doubt many could.

Comparing people at the top of sports to what people in this thread will be doing is ridiculous. Yes, 2-a-days in training camp will cut into lifting, but doing something once or twice a week like most amateurs do is not that hard. I don't really believe you got "fried" by playing casual badminton or football. I used to play badminton once a week and I lifted the next day. Everyone has played football casually and it doesn't really cut into lifting. I lift after American football and it doesn't bother me and I can tell you it's harder on recovery than badminton.

In fact the more I think about it the more I feel like you're trolling that you were fried after football, badminton and tennis.

In an ideal world to build muscle you'd just eat, sleep and lift - that's it! So why would adding another factor such as running for a few hours a week help that?

You say this like it's some kind of consensus. Wendler recommends hill sprints, Benni does regular sprints. When I used to train in the Coliseum I had a long conversation with Mick King about how he though doing upper body intensive manual labour for most of his life helped his bench press.
(edited 11 years ago)
People who spent their early and mid teenage years playing sports will have developed a higher work capacity and recovery ability than those who spent them playing their Playstations and "watching" videos on Redtube, so it comes as no surprise that when it comes to their late teens and the former have decided to lift to enhance their sports performance and the later have decided to lift to rectify the inadequacies of their biceps that the former can recover fine whereas the later will be fried if they do any more than a few lifting sessions per week.

Regarding leanness, lets also remember that sports tend to self select those with better genetic capabilities than the Xbox does.

Back onto recovery abilities, this is something that is trainable in the same way that strength is. People that do not try and train this are hampering themselves further down the line, in my opinion, and I've noticed they are often the same people who complain about crippling soreness from a few sets of squats on leg day and never believe that they could do the lifts twice a week or more.

Now back onto sports. I wish my parents had forced me to do some sort of sport when I was young. Since my school didn't have any sports, bar football which was gay and cliquey, my options were more limited but I did go to Judo and there was also, briefly, a local rugby team too.

/regrets
Smack nailed it.

Work capacity are the key words.
Let's say the best thing you really can do is only eat, lift and sleep. We'll say you're lifting so much you need 12 hours of sleep a night, which is probably unrealistic but whatever. That can include brushing teeth, showering, ****ing etc.. Now you need to eat, probably 6-8000 calories. Let's say you're a slow eater and that takes 4 hours, and even though in an ideal world you wouldn't do washing up, we'll take out another hour letting the meals sit. We'll say you don't live in the gym (even though in an ideal world you would) and you travel for an hour a day total. That means that the guy who doesn't want to do 4 hours of sports a week because of its affect on recovery (due to being fried after playing badminton) wants to lift for six hours a day, every day, as a conservative estimate.

Please tell me there is some part of your brain that thinks "man am I talking complete **** today." I know you repress it, but please tell me it's there.
I think there's a MASSIVE difference between doing hill sprints et al in a caloric surplus and deficit. I'm talking about a deficit.

Remember that Jim Wendler has said many times he doesn't do cutting and hill sprints aren't meant for you to cut. I'd imagine others would be the same considering they are powerlifters who rarely cut unless a small one the day before to make weight.

Many, many bodybuilders use only diet to get lean. Yes, they'll do a little cardio but it's not much. When you say sports I imagine many hours a week. Cardio for a bodybuilder is, depending on them, either low intensity or HIIT but for quite short. That's different.

@Troll troll: LOL? You've completely missed the point. I didn't mean it literally; I mean that your life is only lifting and eating and sleep. So the rest of the time you'll just sit on the couch watching TV or whatever - just not expending energy.
(edited 11 years ago)
I had no idea we were talking about cutting. In fact your post about eating lifting and sleeping specifically said that was the ideal for adding muscle.

You seriously think sitting all day, with its known effects on posture is better for gains than doing sport?
The bodybuilders i know do an hour + a day easily

Though it is low intensity , like walking on an incline for an hour lol fun
This whole argument is based on someone saying that sports etc. is the way to get lean. So, yes, you need to cut to get lean.

I said adding muscle/maintaining. Realistically probably won't add muscle or strength so more about maintenance.

Don't get me wrong; I think in a caloric surplus hill sprints, extra workouts etc. are all good. But if you're cutting your body is already in a weaker position. Don't know why you'd make it harder on yourself.
The guys who "ignore" their diets are still taking all the calories and macros they need to do well at their sport. If you were to add in enough calories to what they were already eating they would get fat just like everyone else. Playing a sport doesn't turn you into some mutant that can disregard basic human physiology and biochemistry.
Reply 1697
LOL, that thread I linked to had a gem of a post:

Your dog is dead. No amount of sperm is going to bring it back. Let it go.

The actually wants to harvest sperm from his dog, and have puppies with it. He's stuck his dog in the freezer. :/ And he was talking about taking it to a taxidermist. I called troll early on for this one, but he has no trolling history and is talking as if he's legit. Has to be trolling.
I guess everyone that's halfway through their development of madcow or ss should play sport to improve their body composition and recovery.
Well SS and Madcows were originally written as strength programmes for people who want to get bigger and stronger for sports...

Latest