The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^^
ok
Original post by Michael XYZ
This whole argument is based on someone saying that sports etc. is the way to get lean. So, yes, you need to cut to get lean.

No, the whole argument is based on someone saying that doing a sport helps you stay leaner than if you weren't. Whether that's cutting, bulking or maintaining.

re: recovery, I train 3 times a week and lift 4-5 times a week, and I've never once made a facebook status saying "omg serious leg DOMS I won't be able to walk tomorrow #I'msostrong".
Original post by Smack
football which was gay and cliquey

Were you fat and/or weird?
Original post by Arturo Bandini
No, the whole argument is based on someone saying that doing a sport helps you stay leaner than if you weren't. Whether that's cutting, bulking or maintaining.

re: recovery, I train 3 times a week and lift 4-5 times a week, and I've never once made a facebook status saying "omg serious leg DOMS I won't be able to walk tomorrow #I'msostrong".

I don't think the argument is that at all. Obviously - ceteris paribus - you're going to be leaner if you play a sport than don't.

The argument which is kind of interesting is whether it's better to do some kind of sport and eat more to cut or whether all you need is diet. I think sport in surplus is good, but in deficit it's going to be harsh.

Of course bodybuilders do it all the time but they don't play a sport. When I think sport I mean you REALLY care. So if you play football you go all out for 90 minutes not just a small kick about with friends to see who can hit the cross bar.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Were you fat and/or weird?

No, I was straight and normal.
Lol Smack I don't know whether fat or weird is the word you're taking as the opposite of straight.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I don't think the argument is that at all. Obviously - ceteris paribus - you're going to be leaner if you play a sport than don't.

The argument which is kind of interesting is whether it's better to do some kind of sport and eat more to cut or whether all you need is diet. I think sport in surplus is good, but in deficit it's going to be harsh.

Of course bodybuilders do it all the time but they don't play a sport. When I think sport I mean you REALLY care. So if you play football you go all out for 90 minutes not just a small kick about with friends to see who can hit the cross bar.

No, that's just what you tried to make it into an argument about. The discussion started as:

Original post by McHumpy92
He is muscular because he lifts weights and eats lots and he is lean because he play competitive sports.

I always say on here you need to be playing sports on top of your lifting. Most people that lift without doing other sports are fat.

and

Original post by Arturo Bandini
playing a sport (and training for it regularly) means you don't have to focus the whole thing on diet, which obviously makes it easier to stay lean (that's definitely the case for me)

p.s. Boxing is definitely a sport I "care" about and go all out in, I'd be pretty stupid not to
1. He is lean because he plays sports. Not necessarily true - he also controls his diet.

2. Playing a sport mean you don't focus the whole thing on diet.

That's the argument - no. 2. It's true, but is that better or worst? I argue that it's worse in a deficit.

Not saying you don't care about boxing? Not sure why you think that... I just mean that if you care and go all out it's gonna be tough on you.

Why do athletes have in-season and off-season? In-season they don't train as much/hard because recovery is impeded by the actual sport. Off-season they only do drills etc. so can train more and that's when they gain size and strength.
Reply 1708
[video="youtube;iFWoNz6Fviw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWoNz6Fviw[/video]

His left eye actually pops out of his head and rolls around the floor.
Add 1000 calories to that guys diet and see how lean he stays in a few weeks time. He is lean because he has his calories and macros down right regardless of whether or not he pays attention to them. He would be just as lean if he didn't play sports and adjusted his diet accordingly.

As for whether or not it helps I think it depends on how much you enjoy eating.
Reply 1710
Jesus you guys. He's lean and muscular because he's got the right balance of lifting+sports (exercise) and diet. Stop making this more difficult than it needs to be. His diet is probably helping him get the best out of training and playing sports. Training and diet is helping him be good at sports. Sports are helping him utilise the nutrition side of thing, and keeping him in shape. There's probably some interaction going on at every level, with hardly anything acting in isolation.

He's balancing things right.
Reply 1711
[video="youtube;6fbahS7VSFs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fbahS7VSFs[/video]
Original post by Smack
Well SS and Madcows were originally written as strength programmes for people who want to get bigger and stronger for sports...

Exactly...SS and the like are basically strength programmes for American sports such as American football and wrestling. But you get people on forums who only do SS and nothing else and expect miracles to happen to their physique.

Counting calories is an awful way of life....I would just prefer to do a sport I enjoy and stay lean that way.
Original post by McHumpy92
Exactly...SS and the like are basically strength programmes for American sports such as American football and wrestling. But you get people on forums who only do SS and nothing else and expect miracles to happen to their physique.

Counting calories is an awful way of life....I would just prefer to do a sport I enjoy and stay lean that way.

don't think ss is really for sport, can't imagine an athlete squatting 3x a week and doing sport specific training 3 or so times per week.

counting calories is effortless it takes like 1 minute lol.
SS gets pretty damn hard as you become more developed. People who do SS are usually beginners so you aren't going to see very impressive physiques anyway. Playing a sport will not make up for a crap diet. If you choose to not participate in sports you can still get a lean physique as long as you adjust your calories accordingly. If you eat too much or your macros suck you will look awful and playing sports will not change that. Counting calories is easy especially with sites like myfitnesspal where you can do everything in just a few minutes.
Regularly playing a sport encourages your body to store less fat and to use fat more as an energy source.

there I said it
"Josh is an Expert Trainer and Best-Selling Fitness Author. His mission is to cut through all the B.S. about losing fat and gaining muscle that's spread by so-called 'gurus' and broscience. He wants to help people reach their fitness goals through truth and knowledge."

talk about irony..
Forget what the 17 year old does.

I think it's a healthy and productive discussion about what I said - if you want to cut, is it better to do it mainly/purely through diet or should you run hills etc. and that then allows you to eat more?

I think if you always ran hills then the latter is fine because you're used to it. I think the stress it would put on your body as someone who doesn't do much cardio to suddenly start when they're cutting is too much.

Thoughts?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1719
Watched Avengers even though I have an exam tommorow.

Latest