The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ocassus
Thats because quite of a few of us don't want a bunch of muscles that look very nice but in truth are all filled with sarcoplasmic fluid. :smile:

Myofibrill strength buiilding is so much more appealing because...

A : Whilst Curling tens very slowly to full extension/compression is fantastic for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, it doesn't improve your ability to lift said weight as effectively as myofibrill.

B : Its all about the numbers. If you can deadlift 200kg, chances are your back is aesthetic enough for the average person anyway.

C : I personally am averse to bodybuilding because it is solely focused on the vanity side of lifting. I feel it loses sight of the point of competitive exercise which is not to look the best at doing something, but to be the best at doing something. Weightlifting ftw.

Just because somebody trains as a bodybuilder would rather than as a strength athlete, doesn't mean they are curling tens. We probably do a lot of the same exercises, just with different rep ranges, perhaps different form (slightly).
Reply 1781
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care
Ironically they're doing the lift correctly.

Shame they don't know how to press or go heavy.

Also there's a three legged dog chilling in the background!

Really? Mixed grip and switching to overhand mid lift? Leaning backwards and balancing it on their belly to readjust?

Check out 0.38-0.42 - that's correct?

To me it looks like a cracking way to fuark up your wrists, elbows, hips, back, knees etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
[video="youtube;INZAmVkwAVk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZAmVkwAVk&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]
Crazy wrist flexibility

Strong
Reply 1784

Is that raw? Is that 340kg triple? What bodyweight/who is he?
Reply 1786
Raw as in not a suit. He's got wraps only, which for most people counts as raw.
81kg bodyweight.
Original post by Gallium
going bodypwoer!?, i'm still unsure! might just book 2-3 tickets today as my mates are unsure, if they drop out **** em i'll give them away or sumet

i need to fix up my deadlift set up :wink:, failed to get 1 rep on 150kg 2 weeks in a row now ;(
was told my hips are to high i proceeded to lower them then i got told i was to low ;(

lmao, turn to the dark side and round back :P
Original post by alex_tait
81kg bodyweight.

81kg bodyweight, 340kg x 3 squat, raw.

**** this ****. I'm gonna take up darts or something.
Original post by tommy1311
Just because somebody trains as a bodybuilder would rather than as a strength athlete, doesn't mean they are curling tens. We probably do a lot of the same exercises, just with different rep ranges, perhaps different form (slightly).

Bodybuilding, you should know, is not entirely about lifting heavy weights. Infact, for bodybuilding lifting a lighter weight but getting the full range of motion with an extremely slow contraction (No inertia, maximum tear) is far far better for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.
Original post by Ocassus
Bodybuilding, you should know, is not entirely about lifting heavy weights. Infact, for bodybuilding lifting a lighter weight but getting the full range of motion with an extremely slow contraction (No inertia, maximum tear) is far far better for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Exactly. Not looking for mechanical advantage in lifts but for damage to the muscle. In layman's terms. How different that is depends on the exercise.
Bodybuilders are actually pretty damn strong in their own rep ranges.

I wonder how that dude I posted trains. I used to think that all russians did sheiko till I looked at Malanichev's routine.
Reply 1793
Sorry for all the simple questions recently, just wondering if anyone would recommend a specific belt? I don't need one right now but I would rather get one while I have some cash.
Original post by Ocassus

Lighter weights relative to their own strength though, obviously.

I do pretty high rep curl sets but definitely not with 10s
Reply 1795
Original post by Idle
Sorry for all the simple questions recently, just wondering if anyone would recommend a specific belt? I don't need one right now but I would rather get one while I have some cash.

I got this one, looks like it's sold out, but they've got other ones in different colours.
Original post by Ocassus

Not really.. it's more abut trying different range / weights to stimulate your muscles , to keep them away from adapting to the load. I start heavy then go down to 10's for failure...
Original post by Idle

SShealthfoods make good belts.

I got the standard belt and the older bro has the lever which which is apprently a lot better but a bit more money.(Like £25 compared to £15 iirc)
Original post by liftorrot
Not really.. it's more abut trying different range / weights to stimulate your muscles , to keep them away from adapting to the load. I start heavy then go down to 10's for failure...

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Lighter weights relative to their own strength though, obviously.

I do pretty high rep curl sets but definitely not with 10s

Original post by Ocassus

I think the point they're making is that kai greene is stronger than you/a lot of weightlifters. Just not the pro weightlifters.

Theres no right or wrong hobby or superior sport. Its just what you're interested in surely?

Latest