Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is it an inconvenient truth that women would prefer to be homemakers?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    God no!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Ya picked a winner there didnt you?
    Haha wasn't always like this but things change.. Long story!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    We're all perfectly entitled to observe the world around us and then advance what we believe to be normal based upon the empirical evidence. If i said it's normal for the weather to be clement in the summer and lousy in the winter based upon my experiences of both summer and winter would my opinion be a 'fabrication' based on 'prejudice' because we experience the odd rainy day in June? No. Similarly when I say that most builders are men while most housewifes are women I'm not making derogatory sexist statement based upon discrimination, this is an empirically true provable fact. I'm not saying that all builders should be men or that only men can build I'm simply saying that most builders are men. This isn't sexism, despite what the brainwashed Cultural Marxist uber-feminist crowd might say.
    Okay, firstly I am not a "brainwashed Cultural Marxist uber-feminist", whatever that might mean, and if you were making the above points originally I would not have hesitated in agreeing with you. As it stands, however, you said that it was not normal to have a particular family arrangement. I suppose it would depend on your conception of normal but, to me, it does seem derogatory to call certain families abnormal which you are, in effect, doing. It is a fabrication to state that people would not be happy in such 'abnormal' family set-ups, this you cannot deny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The idea of being a stay at home parent is far better than the reality in my opinion! Having spent the last 5 years at home with my children, I am gladly handing the reins over to their father in September to go to uni. I doubt it will be more than a year before he's begging me to find childcare for the baby so that he can go back to work. I'm sure he thinks I sit around drinking coffee and watching daytime TV!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    I don't think it is necessarily about being a woman, more true about just being a parent. I can see myself in a couple years being a workaholic, flying all over the world meeting clients and treating my home as a hotel. I hate myself for it as it means i'll likely be a terrible father, trying to buy my kids happiness as I never spend time with them. In general though, I agree that men have greater aspirations than women.
    What?! Men have greater aspirations than women? It's statistically proven that women do better on average than men in their GCSEs and I don't think this is because they are smarter. From my personal experience, although I'm not a great example, the girls in my year worked harder on average, doing more revision etc. outside of lessons. And this was so they could get into college/get better jobs. This to me says that women have aspirations as "great" as men do.

And who are you to say that a paid job is better than being a great mother or a great homemaker? hey?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Haha wasn't always like this but things change.. Long story!
    I get that you have to work, i get that you have to do uni work, i get that he may have lost his job through no fault of his own.

Is there a reason though why you come home to have to do the housework and the cleaning and the cooking whilst he plays computor games, surely he could at least do that for you seeing as you are the household provider
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roodootoo)
    What?! Men have greater aspirations than women? It's statistically proven that women do better on average than men in their GCSEs and I don't think this is because they are smarter. From my personal experience, although I'm not a great example, the girls in my year worked harder on average, doing more revision etc. outside of lessons. And this was so they could get into college/get better jobs. This to me says that women have aspirations as "great" as men do.

And who are you to say that a paid job is better than being a great mother or a great homemaker? hey?
    Career aspirations not GCSEs and A-Levels. How many directors, executives and board members of FTSE 250 companies are women? 7.8% in 2010 (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/equalities/women/), probably slightly higher now but still very much the minority. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but from talking to my male and female colleagues, friends and people at uni, men in general are always aspiring for more and looking for the next job opportunity whereas some women are happy staying in the same job and not that bothered about "climbing the ladder", stepping on other people to get to the top.

I never said it was better, did you read the rest of what I said or just the last sentence and get in a rage? I actually said i'm jealous as i'd likely be a crap dad never being around.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Career aspirations not GCSEs and A-Levels. How many directors, executives and board members of FTSE 250 companies are women? Not many. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but from talking to my male and female colleagues, friends and people at uni, men in general are always aspiring for more and looking for the next job opportunity whereas some women are happy staying in the same job and not that bothered about "climbing the ladder", stepping on other people to get to the top.

I never said it was better, did you read the rest of what I said or just the last sentence and get in a rage? I actually said i'm jealous as i'd likely be a crap dad never being around.
    I don't think you give women quite enough credit. I don't know whether I am just surrounded by career-motivated women but from what I know, women don't quite like saying, "I'm going to be X in 10 years." in case people think they are big-headed or anything.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Career aspirations not GCSEs and A-Levels. How many directors, executives and board members of FTSE 250 companies are women? 7.8% in 2010 (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/equalities/women/), probably slightly higher now but still very much the minority. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but from talking to my male and female colleagues, friends and people at uni, men in general are always aspiring for more and looking for the next job opportunity whereas some women are happy staying in the same job and not that bothered about "climbing the ladder", stepping on other people to get to the top.

How can you be sure that isn't a glass ceiling rather than a lack of ambition?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this is true if you have meaningful well paid work. But if it's just a part time job in WHSmiths I think most people would prefer to be at home cooking and cleaning etc. The problem with the UK economy is that we have too many lowly paid demeaning jobs and it's becoming ever more difficult to start your own business and act independently in the workplace. But I definitely see what you're saying.
    Oh yes, I agree with that! I have to say though, even if it was lowly paid and demeaning I think I'd still do it because I think I'd get so bored!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Despite the couple of decades' worth of propaganda we've been subjected to on 'equality' and 'positive discrimination' deep down wouldn't a lot of women much to prefer to be in the home raising children and performing necessary and often rewarding domestic tasks?

In their eagerness to spread the ideals of feminism are 'liberals' devaluing an important social role that has historically been the preserve of women?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with females wanting to stay at home raising children while the husband supports the family with a full time job.
    Is getting married and having children a career choice for some women?
    If a husband with good prospects/ job can be secured, after a few years the woman will get at least half of everything on divorce although she may not have earned any money at all.Even her old age will be protected because she will get half of her husband's pension. Or course in some cases the husband will gain half of his wife's assets/ salary/ pension too.But that's a bit more rare isn't it?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toaster Leavings)
    How can you be sure that isn't a glass ceiling rather than a lack of ambition?
    I'm not, no one really knows the reason why. It's easy to say it's due to inequalities, glass ceiling, lack of ambition, sexism, no opportunities, getting pregnant etc. but there could be any number of variables and it would take a lot of research to glean anything substantial. The only concrete fact is that the number of female directors in top companies is low. Everything else I've said is pure opinion gained from my personal experiences.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I get that you have to work, i get that you have to do uni work, i get that he may have lost his job through no fault of his own.

Is there a reason though why you come home to have to do the housework and the cleaning and the cooking whilst he plays computor games, surely he could at least do that for you seeing as you are the household provider
    He's never had a job, never mind lost it. And the reason I do everything is quite simply because it's easier. If I complain about it it causes trouble, and I still end up doing it anyway.

I'm making myself sound like a right doormat now I'm totally aware of that. I plan to address the issue properly when uni is over and done with. Ultimatum type of thing.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    If in the future my husband and I could afford it - we were living quite comfortably off his wage, for example, and didn't need to rely on anything else - I'd love to be a stay at home mother and housewife - maybe I'm old fashioned but I enjoy cooking and cleaning and I'd rather make sure that my children are looked after by me than having to get childcare in and have my children growing up seeing an Eastern European girl as their main caregiver and me as the one who pops in occasionally to make sure they're being good.

I would much prefer to stay at home and raise the children and make sure that the house is clean, safe and an enjoyable place to live in. Then again, I'd love to spend a year or two being a nanny/au pair so maybe it's just me being a domestic person rather than it being that most women would prefer this lifestyle.
    You're wifey material. Eastern european too. :sogood:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    But, like it or not, being a "homemaker" is exactly what some women want to do. And just because you find it insulting doesn't mean you can criticise other people's (perfectly valid) life choices.
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I can criticise someone else's life choice if I think it's a load of bs. Some people want to become con artists, just BECAUSE YOU FIND IT INSULTING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CRITICISE THEM.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    He's never had a job, never mind lost it. And the reason I do everything is quite simply because it's easier. If I complain about it it causes trouble, and I still end up doing it anyway.

I'm making myself sound like a right doormat now I'm totally aware of that. I plan to address the issue properly when uni is over and done with. Ultimatum type of thing.
    You never will, he's established a status quo now. My parents were exactly the same. Mum tolerated it while she was a student but it's too late now because she let him get away with it for so long. Now mum's working full time AND doing all the housework, doing dads washing and making his meals for him. She can't just stop doing it because it "causes trouble*" if she doesn't do it now because she's been doing it for the last 20 years.

(* By 'causes trouble' I mean he flies into a total rage, screaming at the children and dogs, smashing things, not talking to anyone for days)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ.

How ****ing stupid do you have to be?

If the majority of women wanted to be homemakers they would be. There's nothing stopping them from doing so.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Despite the couple of decades' worth of propaganda we've been subjected to on 'equality' and 'positive discrimination' deep down wouldn't a lot of women much to prefer to be in the home raising children and performing necessary and often rewarding domestic tasks?

In their eagerness to spread the ideals of feminism are 'liberals' devaluing an important social role that has historically been the preserve of women?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with females wanting to stay at home raising children while the husband supports the family with a full time job.
    It is already a well known fact that yes, they would be, but all the feminist morons want to make women miserable:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/08/19/t...appiness-axis/

I had a 22-year-old student say, ‘Why is it your business if my wife wants to bake cookies?’ and the female students agreed with him!

(Original post by Barden)
    Jesus Christ.

How ****ing stupid do you have to be?

If the majority of women wanted to be homemakers they would be. There's nothing stopping them from doing so.
    Wrong.
    Our society implies that home-makers are shallow and gold diggers. Ironically, feminists are partially to blame for this, however, so is the low spending power of this country combined with the ever increasing greed of people.

(Original post by carriesouthcott)
    The idea of being a stay at home parent is far better than the reality in my opinion! Having spent the last 5 years at home with my children, I am gladly handing the reins over to their father in September to go to uni. I doubt it will be more than a year before he's begging me to find childcare for the baby so that he can go back to work. I'm sure he thinks I sit around drinking coffee and watching daytime TV!
    It is not that people think that raising children is easier, in fact I don't think anyone is stupid to make such a claim, just that raising children well is infinitely more satisfying then pushing papers around so you can buy things you don't really want.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I can criticise someone else's life choice if I think it's a load of bs. Some people want to become con artists, just BECAUSE YOU FIND IT INSULTING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CRITICISE THEM.
    So stop critisising them then!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    But, like it or not, being a "homemaker" is exactly what some women want to do. And just because you find it insulting doesn't mean you can criticise other people's (perfectly valid) life choices.

(Original post by screenager2004)

You just confirmed what Bella_trixxx said.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.