Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it an inconvenient truth that women would prefer to be homemakers?

Announcements Posted on
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine anything worse than housewifery - I'm crap at it anyway.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Jesus Christ.

How ****ing stupid do you have to be?

If the majority of women wanted to be homemakers they would be. There's nothing stopping them from doing so.
    How about a generation of feminists insinuating that they're gender traitors for accepting a 'subservient' role in the home?

If anyone's trying to limit female lifechoices these days it's women (and 'liberal' men), staying at home and raising children is as equally valid as taking on a career. One isn't more worthwhile than the other.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I'd hate to stay at home.

In fact, my boyfriend is the one that loves cleaning. He leaves me in bed while he hoovers/mops the house for a couple of hours before checking if I'm ready to get up =P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why are the only people who I ever see moaning about feminism men? If feminism has caused women so many problems as some people on here like to believe then why is it mostly men that moan about it? I don't feel like feminism has stopped me doing anything, in fact I'd be living like a 2nd class citizen without it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlNextDoor)
    You just confirmed what Bella_trixxx said.

(Original post by COD_is_a_fish)
    So stop critisising them then!

It's called sarcasm. :facepalm:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    You're wifey material. Eastern european too. :sogood:
    I'm not Eastern European sorry I'm Welsh
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I'm not Eastern European sorry I'm Welsh
    Haha no need to be sorry, but why did you mention eastern european then?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Haha no need to be sorry, but why did you mention eastern european then?
    I said how I didn't want them seeing an Eastern European girl as their mother and me as someone who just pops in occasionally. Was referring to like nannies and au pairs because it mainly seems to be Eastern Europeans who do it here. I want to be one but apparently the only way people from Britain can do it in Britain is if they become a Mother's Help, so it's either the end of that plan or I go to Spain for a year. Sorry for the confusion
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Despite the couple of decades' worth of propaganda we've been subjected to on 'equality' and 'positive discrimination' deep down wouldn't a lot of women much to prefer to be in the home raising children and performing necessary and often rewarding domestic tasks?

In their eagerness to spread the ideals of feminism are 'liberals' devaluing an important social role that has historically been the preserve of women?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with females wanting to stay at home raising children while the husband supports the family with a full time job.
    I think this is true for a moderate majority of women. I do think it's natural for them to be attracted to such things, and natural for men to usually prefer a challenging career.

As usual it was just an extremely vocal minority who disliked this arrangement and who continue to work to make being a housewife seem like less and less of an acceptable job. I've met girls who are very ashamed that that's what they want to do because around them "feminism" is screaming that they should go and work themselves to death in a corporate environment instead. These days anyone can [attempt to] work in whatever field they want, I'm not sure why some people feel that they have to persuade absolutely everyone else to follow their own particular interests.

If the particularly energetic protesty/campaigny feminists have all that drive and motivation then they can go and get whatever job they want, but a lot of girls are much more mild-mannered and would be very happy with a traditional role, which I imagine is actually very fulfilling for them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura130490)
    Why are the only people who I ever see moaning about feminism men? If feminism has caused women so many problems as some people on here like to believe then why is it mostly men that moan about it? I don't feel like feminism has stopped me doing anything, in fact I'd be living like a 2nd class citizen without it.
    Because girls are too afraid to mention it, I imagine it.
    My girlfriend hates on feminists and feminism all the time, and some her friends are really into it and she thinks it's absolutely ridiculous. She has quite traditional ideas about her role in life.

But with her friends she'll gently go along with it so as not to upset them. People who "don't care" rarely have the force to actively disagree with high-energy people.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I can criticise someone else's life choice if I think it's a load of bs. Some people want to become con artists, just BECAUSE YOU FIND IT INSULTING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN CRITICISE THEM.
    Con artists harm the people they are swindling. Who do housewives harm?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    They harm every strong woman who stood up fought for their right to escape their shackles and be FREE in full-time paid employment rather than a slave to their husbands.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i actually think its a bit of both tbh. for one thing, not everyone wants to have children, they just dont feel its for them for whatever reason. and quite a lot of guys would love to stay with the children and look after them. but i think that there is a limit. maybe for the first couple of years of the childs life they would love to stay at home and take care of the child, as the child will develop and progress so much, becoming their own little person and that is a lovely thing to see happen (i know when i was a nursery nurse i loved working in toddler room as i loved seeing them become their own little person and how they each developed their own little personalities and selnse of self, which was very rewarding to be a part of). once the child is at school age then i think most mums would like to go back to work, possibly only part time though as they could still spend a lot of time with their child, but they also had a life of their own and was earning their own money again. i know when it comes to me having children i would stay at home for the first couple of years then go part time if possible as i do love my work so far and wouldnt want to entirely give it up. i love baking but hate cleaning so that doesnt really appeal to me that much.

(a lot of my post was from personal experiance of my own views, as well as that of many mothers as i have worked with young children for several years now and recently have been working with a lot of parent, the majority of which have the view that once the child is at school full time their day actually becomes pretty dull as theres only so much cleaning you can do in a day, they hate being stuck in the house and they want some of their old life and sense of self back)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Society by being economically inactive and contributing absolutely nothing to the society they live in - raising a child is not a contribution to society, every other woman manages to do it whilst also being employed.

They're on par with the unemployed, loafers of inherited wealth or mere children. And just teach their children that it's okay to do absolutely nothing and just depend on someone else's wages, pretending the most menial of domestic tasks (like tidying up after yourself or feeding yourself) is a real occupation. What a massive waste of education and opportunity. And especially such a crappy role model for girls, considering the years of suffrage women endured to liberate themselves from being consigned to just being good for cleaning and childbearing, while the men do all the real work, contributing to human culture, technology and civilisation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The whole purpose of feminism and the propaganda on equality is to grant women a choice.

Forcing women into becoming non-homemakers is just as bad as forcing them to become homemakers. Ultimately you're taking away their choices and setting a prescribed role for them anyway- the whole point of feminism was to give women freedom about how they want to live their lives. Isn't this obvious?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saachi)
    The whole purpose of feminism and the propaganda on equality is to grant women a choice.

Forcing women into becoming non-homemakers is just as bad as forcing them to become homemakers. Ultimately you're taking away their choices and setting a prescribed role for them anyway- the whole point of feminism was to give women freedom about how they want to live their lives. Isn't this obvious?
    The 'freedom' to waste your life isn't really something worth celebrating. We don't celebrate that people have the freedom to be unemployed, or that people have the freedom to be an alcoholic if they choose to.

The purpose of feminism was to liberate women from being restricted to stereotypical 'woman' roles, and allow them to achieve parity with men. Staying at home with the kids is precisely the opposite of that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a rather more inconvenient truth that a) not all women would prefer to be homemakers just as b) not all men would prefer to be breadwinners. Unfortunately generalizations are handy for public policy. However, setting up a false dichotomy between homemaker/breadwinner and female/male is narrow-minded, and is a much more modern (not to mention fairly Western) construct than you might think. Making a life and raising one's children go hand in hand. While it is convenient to pit it as a 'battle of the sexes' and I'm sure it does sell more newspapers, I think you'll find that, in day to day life, couples really do find their own balance in order to work toward these mutual goals. Everybody has to sacrifice but that's life.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The 'freedom' to waste your life isn't really something worth celebrating. We don't celebrate that people have the freedom to be unemployed, or that people have the freedom to be an alcoholic if they choose to.

The purpose of feminism was to liberate women from being restricted to stereotypical 'woman' roles, and allow them to achieve parity with men. Staying at home with the kids is precisely the opposite of that.
    Sorry, don't agree with you there. The purpose of feminism was to give women a choice, whether they want to remain homemakers or take part in what were once traditionally male jobs. When I said freedom I thought it was pretty obvious I meant the freedom to choose between being a homemaker and being a working mom/ wife. Contextually reading that, you'd have to be daft to think I meant the freedom to become an alcoholic or a drug addict or a murderer.

So you're saying that being a homemaker and staying at home with the kids is a waste of a life?! If a family wants to function that way, where the husband works and brings home the bread and the wife stays at home and takes care of the kids, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

It was this mindset that you have, this refusal to accept differences, that made people reject the idea of women with jobs in the first place. Everything that is old- fashioned and traditional isn't automatically anti-feminist. If a girl wants to be a housewife, you would hardly be a feminist by denying her the right to be one.

And no, a woman staying at home with the kids isn't the opposite of gender parity. If the woman opted for that role, and the man is more than happy to earn for her and treat her well and they make all their decisions together, I don't see how the arrangement is unequal.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saachi)
    Sorry, don't agree with you there. The purpose of feminism was to give women a choice, whether they want to remain homemakers or take part in what were once traditionally male jobs. When I said freedom I thought it was pretty obvious I meant the freedom to choose between being a homemaker and being a working mom/ wife. Contextually reading that, you'd have to be daft to think I meant the freedom to become an alcoholic or a drug addict or a murderer.

So you're saying that being a homemaker and staying at home with the kids is a waste of a life?! If a family wants to function that way, where the husband works and brings home the bread and the wife stays at home and takes care of the kids, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

It was this mindset that you have, this refusal to accept differences, that made people reject the idea of women with jobs in the first place. Everything that is old- fashioned and traditional isn't automatically anti-feminist. If a girl wants to be a housewife, you would hardly be a feminist by denying her the right to be one.

And no, a woman staying at home with the kids isn't the opposite of gender parity. If the woman opted for that role, and the man is more than happy to earn for her and treat her well and they make all their decisions together, I don't see how the arrangement is unequal.
    Again I'm going to have to repeat myself - being a housewife is degrading to women. The 'freedom' or 'choice' to be one is not a good thing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Again I'm going to have to repeat myself - being a housewife is degrading to women. The 'freedom' or 'choice' to be one is not a good thing.
    How is being a housewife degrading to women?

You can't decide on what is a good thing and what isn't on the behalf of other couples. Nobody's forcing you to become a housewife but at least don't go criticizing people who are.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.