Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you be stockpiling on fuel?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    The Army would probably only deliver enough fuel for emergency vehicles.

As for bringing out the BBQ if the fuel runs out...... ummm not so fast, the lorries that keep supermarkets stocked out might not be able to run too as there won't be diesel to fuel those lorries and it might be the case that even the supermarkets might not open because no one could get to work.

I remember the fuel protest of 2000, the hotel I was staying in didn't have any eggs for breakfast because they couldn't get any deliveries.
    You mean to say you don't have emergency BBQ meat?!

I didn't think that far actually. Although I think the supermarkets will make preparations this time to stop it happening if anything serious does start to come up.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Petrol stations round here have already run out.
    Mind you, I do live in Derbyshire, they aren't very bright around here...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    My gut feeling is that the strike isn't really going to happen and the union are trying to fake us out. Still tanked up the blue bomber though... The garage owner had kindly jacked the price by 5p/l. In 2000 people were infuriated that some stations were 'profiteering' by charging over £1/l... There was panic buying of canned food back then aswell.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, gonna wait till a strike is actually announced and a glut of fuel is in the forecourts due to Thatcherite politics about stockpiling, brilliant idea by the tories today...get everyone to stock pile, thus making the strike less effective. Pretty clever.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it's stupid and is bad for everyone all this panic buying rubbish.
    I saw queues going all the way down the road earlier for no apparent reason.
    Especially as round the corner where I filled up (my tank was empty) the petrol station was empty, it was also one of the cheapest stations in the area. Very bizarre.

I will be driving a bit more slowly on the motorway though, just to be on the safe side and to save money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh this is just the Torries trying to distract us from the pretty disastrous week they've been having in terms of headlines. Didn't get a chance to check the papers this morning but I bet they weren't leading with discussions about the budget, pensioner/pasty tax, NHS reforms or cash for access any more?

Personally I hope it back fires with the panic buying creating a shortage and the tankers not going on strike to take the blame
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    My gut feeling is that the strike isn't really going to happen and the union are trying to fake us out. Still tanked up the blue bomber though... The garage owner had kindly jacked the price by 5p/l. In 2000 people were infuriated that some stations were 'profiteering' by charging over £1/l... There was panic buying of canned food back then aswell.
    If there is excessive demand, why not increase the price and make the most of it?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some petrol stations have already started closing near me. Fortunately my Dad works for the emergency services so his/the family car shouldn't run dry.

EDIT: Clearly the neggers think ambulance drivers don't need to get to work.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    cool story bro, changed my life
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Govt needs to shut up.

Filling up from 1/2 a tank? Oh good, now all those people who wouldn't normally go ANYWHERE, are now looking at their half tank of fuel and thinking 'yes! I need to top up!' ... when a half tank would last them a good couple weeks or more.

Sigh. It's the irregular buying habits that are causing this mess. If people just filled up as they normally do, it'd be fine.

I ran dry last Friday before any talk about the Army or strikes, and filled to the brim as normal. Annnnnnd then I got flu, so didn't drive anywhere
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    If there is excessive demand, why not increase the price and make the most of it?
    When the crisis passes all the customers you gouged will think 'screw you jack' and fill up at the next station instead.

TBH 5p isn't so bad - in 2000 it was upto over a pound from a baseline of under 80p
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd rather be without transport than keep a can of highly flammable liquid in my home.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    When the crisis passes all the customers you gouged will think 'screw you jack' and fill up at the next station instead.

TBH 5p isn't so bad - in 2000 it was upto over a pound from a baseline of under 80p
    It was worst closer to Heathrow airport where some were asking up to £2.70 per litre for fuel because they knew a lot of their customers were those who were returning a rental car and would pay. That was the first time I ever returned a rental car without a full tank of fuel, because when I picked up the car, they said if you didn't return it full, you will be charged £1.20 per litre.

It was already traumatic at that time to pay £0.83 per litre to fuel up a car which was a Ford Mondeo when I was at time living in USA and petrol was US$0.95 per gallon(US)

I was happy to leave that car with Hertz and tell them to fill it up themselves like most of their clients were doing.... I was then just happy to get out of UK.... when I landed in JFK, I got into my car and felt a sigh of relief when I pumped up my own car at more reasonable prices.

I swore I never wanted to go to Britain again after that incident.... LOL who'd have though just 2 and a half years later I was transferred to London.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing ridiculous queues at stations around here. When is the best time of day to fill up? (Genuinely need to fill up, not panic buying)
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    Seeing ridiculous queues at stations around here. When is the best time of day to fill up? (Genuinely need to fill up, not panic buying)
    Go to a 24 hour petrol station after midnight would be my advice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hearing lots of stories about long queues all of today and late last night, idiots :lol:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Nope, gonna wait till a strike is actually announced and a glut of fuel is in the forecourts due to Thatcherite politics about stockpiling, brilliant idea by the tories today...get everyone to stock pile, thus making the strike less effective. Pretty clever.
    Haha .... what an excellent speculation, maybe it could also be that the government is rather desperate and needed some immediate spending to ensure UK doesn't fall into a recession, since tomorrow is officially the last day for Q1 of 2012 and Q4 of 2011 was a negative growth, this sudden panic buying might just avoid a recession

Hope people stockpile tomorrow with food too especially stuff they need for their Easter lunch....... might just be a chance to narrowly escape a recession.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only fill up the tank when the fuel light's flashing, so I'm not. Anyway, our local Tesco's run out of unleaded due to idiots panic buying already.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    On my way home from work I noticed that there were massive queues at the shell near me, and the one on the opposite side was dry. Popped out about 9 though and it wasn't too bad so filled up as my tank was getting low and it saves me having to do it tomorrow.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Saw a chap filling up a polythene foldable camping water carrier today... There's going to be some nasty accidents.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.