The Student Room Group

India is about to hang someone.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tufc
That's what happens in America. Whilst I don't agree with capital punishment, if it is going to be used, it shouldn't be a case of 'convicted one week, hanged the next'.

I thought you'd be in favour of such a populist move.
Original post by Rajoana
Does anyone else not think that sending in 9000 armed personnel and 15 paramiltary units in response to peaceful protests is oppressive and over the top?

Edit: search youtube there are videos of the Former Foreign Secretary MP Margaret Beckett and MEP Glennis Willmott (Head of Labour in the EU Parliament) talking against the Death Penalty for Balwant Singh.

Well, considering the sad history of Ethnic Violence in India, I am not surprised they sent in that many.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I don't really care what other countries want to do. It's none of our concern.

what uni are you at?
Reply 23
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I don't really care what other countries want to do. It's none of our concern.

Human rights, or just plain compassion much?
Reply 24
It's funny isn't it?

So many people complain about the partition of India and how the Muslims had nothing to fear under a Hindu majority. And yet the Indian Sikh population is proof that they really, really did. Interesting how things play out really.
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Just because people don't want him to be executed, it still doesn't excuse him for playing a role in an assassination.

An assassination of a leader instigating mass killing and brutality of Sikhs...
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
what uni are you at?

What does that have to do with anything? Are you looking to see if he goes to a university you deem not good enough just so you can justify why he holds such views? I don't agree with his views... but this kind of comment is just petty.
Just because people don't want him to be executed, it still doesn't excuse him for playing a role in an assassination.

This

No, it doesn't, but he was imprisoned 17 years ago
Reply 29
Playing a part in an assassination cannot be excused regardless of who was assassinated. To kill (or plot to kill) is unlawful, and not punishing someone for it is not the way to maintain a civilised society. Even if he who was assassinated did some terrible things, that does not give someone else the right to take the matter into his own hands and kill him.
Reply 30
What do you expect with a Congress-led government in charge? BJP! BJP! BJP!
Reply 31
Original post by Yawn!
What do you expect with a Congress-led government in charge? BJP! BJP! BJP!

You've got to be kidding me. BJP is just as bad.

If you kill a man then you have to face the consequences. Just because that man might have been bad doesn't excuse murder.
When was he convicted with involvement in the murder? 17 years ago or recently?
Reply 33
Original post by Rajoana
You've got to be kidding me. BJP is just as bad.

How does that video indicate BJP anti-Sikh sentiment. Just because they were Hindu TERRORISTS does not make them BJP, they could just have easily been Congress supporters. Last time I checked the biggest attack on Sikhs was organised by Congress, not BJP.

And why is it that while Congress leaders refuse to discuss or apologise for 1984, BJP politicians such as Narendra Modi are questioning why Congress refuses to apologise. Or why the Indian government is giving no support to Sikhs being attacked in Pakistan.

Also in Punjab elections SAD-BJP alliance won recently, not Congress. What does that tell you about what party Sikhs prefer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Yawn!
How does that video indicate BJP anti-Sikh sentiment. Just because they were Hindu TERRORISTS does not make them BJP, they could just have easily been Congress supporters. Last time I checked the biggest attack on Sikhs was organised by Congress, not BJP.

And why is it that while Congress leaders refuse to discuss or apologise for 1984, BJP politicians such as Narendra Modi are questioning why Congress refuses to apologise. Or why the Indian government is giving no support to Sikhs being attacked in Pakistan.

Also in Punjab elections SAD-BJP alliance won recently, not Congress. What does that tell you about what party Sikhs prefer?

The Sikhs being beaten in that video are those that protested against Advani's Rath Yatra, who else would come out against them but BJP supporters?

LK Advani very openly supported the unjust massacre of innocents and desecration of the Golden Temple that was Operation Bluestar, and actually felt that not enough was done against the Sikh youths of Punjab.
The list of reasons why the BJP are just as bad is endless. just do a google.

here's just one example: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/sikh-bodies-to-stage-a-dharna-outside-bjp-hqrs-in-delhi-on-dec-20/888659/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
It's funny isn't it?

So many people complain about the partition of India and how the Muslims had nothing to fear under a Hindu majority. And yet the Indian Sikh population is proof that they really, really did. Interesting how things play out really.

Wait until Dogra sees this
They're still going ahead with it despite the entire Sikh Community against it? He assasinated a man who was a threat to the Sikh community (in India), serves a 17 year jail sentence and now they want to hang him when all he was trying to do was defend his own people? Yet people in England serve a short jail sentence for murdering someone and get let off and given a new identity? (James Bulger Murder) What the actual f*ck. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
It's funny isn't it?

There is still a massive Muslim population in India though, although they have sometimes come under attack. Still don't think making borders because of religious reasons is ever a good idea.
Reply 38
He played a role in killing someone so I feel this is just.
Reply 39
It's funny isn't it?

So many people complain about the partition of India and how the Muslims had nothing to fear under a Hindu majority. And yet the Indian Sikh population is proof that they really, really did. Interesting how things play out really

dear me, again what do u not understand about regional states in India, what about the states comprising pakistan, bangladesh, what about minorities there? this is not difficult if the great evil of partition did not occur then all people living together you have a situation where there would be less communalism, and considerign the great evil partition happened this has left a legacy of communalism which is taking time to eradicate and created current problems, no partition and you would not have current problems.

India should ban death penalty for it to grow, corrupty leaders do not apply law justly. Rajoana has a clear fundamental point when he says people such as congress politician tytler and Sajan Kumar have not been punished, law has to apply to all.
Ban death penalty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending