The Student Room Group

India is about to hang someone.

A Sikh man, Balwant Singh Rajoana, who has been in prison for 17 years is about to be hanged for his part in the assassination of the the then Chief Minister of Punjab in the 1980s-1990s. His reasoning for the assassination was that under this CM (Beant Singh) the police ran a brutal regime of killing and torturing many (thousands of) innocent Sikhs (official number is 50,000 sikhs dead under his reign). The hanging is scheduled for the 31st March 2012.

I have been following this closely and some big things have been happening in the state of Punjab and with Sikhs and human rights activists across the globe:

•

On Balwant Singh's request, Sikhs are putting up orange flags outside their houses, according a report in report in an Indian newspaper, the Tribune, there is so much support for Balwant Singh that one town sold over 30 thousand flags in one day

•

As a result of these peaceful protests, 9000 armed personnel and 15 paramilitary companies have been deployed into the state of punjab (article in indian express website you can find it on google)

•

There are also reports of phone lines being cut in certain areas.

•

Sikhs are protesting across the world too, there have been protests of thousands in major cities. There is a candlelight vigil outside the UK Parliament, Westminster tomorrow evening (6PM). Non-sikhs are also requested to attend.

•

Today all sikhs are wearing orange, there is some hashtag on twitter, #ipledgeorange.

•

A 'Bandh' (closure) has been called in the state of Punjab today. This means that no Sikh has gone to work or is running their business for the day. The state is effectively and literally closed for business, instead everyone is out protesting.

Balwant Singh Rajoana himself was originally a policeman under the CM Beant Singh, however he says he changed when he saw what the police were being made to do. There was a mark drop in the numbers of Sikhs killed after the assassination of the CM.

Personally I would urge everyone to attend the candlelight vigil in Westminster outside Parliament tomorrow 29/03/2012 at 6pm and stand up against this barbaric and unjust execution of a political activist.

Fantastic article in the huffington post: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jasdev-singh-rai/death-penalty-in-the-land_b_1370903.html#

Your thoughts?

UPDATE: INNOCENT PROTESTERS ARE BEING BEATEN BY THE POLICE
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why keep him in jail for 17 years and then hang him? Kind of a low blow.
Just because people don't want him to be executed, it still doesn't excuse him for playing a role in an assassination.
Reply 3
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Just because people don't want him to be executed, it still doesn't excuse him for playing a role in an assassination.

True, but at the same time, India celebrates Bhagat Singh, a man who assassinated a British officer during the Indian Independence movement at the time of the raj, why? because they feel it was justified.

In the eyes of many, the CM was a butcher along the lines of Hitler. The fact that an ex-policeman himself did this says alot.

this video gives the sikh view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSpEevDVQ8
Reply 4
Does anyone else not think that sending in 9000 armed personnel and 15 paramiltary units in response to peaceful protests is oppressive and over the top?

Edit: search youtube there are videos of the Former Foreign Secretary MP Margaret Beckett and MEP Glennis Willmott (Head of Labour in the EU Parliament) talking against the Death Penalty for Balwant Singh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Off with his head ... literally! :mob:
Reply 6
Poor guy.

Nothing else really to be said from my part.
Original post by Darkphilosopher

Who's carrying the assassination on this man? The state.

Why does the state have the right to execute people? Because its people gave it those rights

This man assassinated someone who played a part in the killing/torturing of thousands of innocent people. The people of the state fully support his actions. He should not be killed.
Reply 8
Original post by A level Az
Why keep him in jail for 17 years and then hang him? Kind of a low blow.

That's what happens in America. Whilst I don't agree with capital punishment, if it is going to be used, it shouldn't be a case of 'convicted one week, hanged the next'.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, capital punishment is the cardinal sign that a country is uncivilised. So if they practise it, their laws cannot be considered to be just, and therefore not rational.
Reply 10
Original post by Dragonfly07

Why does the state have the right to execute people? Because its people gave it those rights

This man assassinated someone who played a part in the killing/torturing of thousands of innocent people. The people of the state fully support his actions. He should not be killed.

Unless the majority do want him hanged. Maybe they should do a vote. People who do want it, fly a green flag, people who don't, fly a red flag.

I am meanwhile heading over to India to start up a flag making company.
Original post by Steezy
Unless the majority do want him hanged. Maybe they should do a vote. People who do want it, fly a green flag, people who don't, fly a red flag.

hehe :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Steezy

Its a Punjab state issue and its more than clear that the people of punjab don't want him to be hanged. The very fact that thousands of military personnel have been deployed in India and are driving around with alarms on tearing down any orange flag they see pretty much tells us that even they acknowledge the people of Punjab do not want him hanged.

Punjab is actually carrying out a 'bandh' (closure) today, meaning no sikh has gone to work or is running their business today, the people have basically closed down the state for the day, that is how against the execution of balwant singh they are.

ROFL
(edited 12 years ago)
Disgusting behaviour by the Indian government. Sikhs need their own independence and be recognised by the Indian government.
Reply 14
Original post by Dragonfly07

Sorry, but that's absurd; try Googling 'tyranny of the majority'. The point of a civilised criminal justice system is that everyone is equal: killing someone popular is no less acceptable than killing someone unpopular.
Original post by tufc
Sorry, but that's absurd; try Googling 'tyranny of the majority'. The point of a civilised criminal justice system is that everyone is equal: killing someone popular is no less acceptable than killing someone unpopular.

I agree I'm completely against capital punishment. But in a place where capital punishment exists, it would be exceptionally unjust in this case.
Reply 16
If you assassinate people you have to be prepared to pay the ultimate price, even if you know you are right.
Reply 17
Vid explaining the support for Rajoana, why he assassinated the CM, political situation in Punjab:

Protests in support of Rajoana across the globe:

Punjab (India)

Canada:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
I will most certainly be at the candlelight vigil tomorrow outside Parliament, I request anyone who believes in human rights and is against the death penalty to also attend. Starts at 6pm.

UK Sikhs protest outside of Indian embassy last week:

I don't really care what other countries want to do. It's none of our concern.

Quick Reply