The Student Room Group

Severely dyslexic, no formal qualifications can i still go uni?

I'm a severely dyslexic female looking to go to University, I have no formal qualifications but I am a hard worker. I was wondering if I could go on to a foundation degree course or something else. I haven't been in education since I was 15 due to illness in my family could anyone point me in the right direction.
Thank you.
A
Reply 1
I can't see why not, foundation years are aimed at people who haven't been in uni for a while or haven't got the qualifications, and there's normally support for dyslexia. Ring up a few uni's and ask what suppport you could get if in doubt.
Reply 2
It's possible to get into uni on the basis of work / work experience and no formal qualifications.
Reply 3
It will probably depend on which uni you want to go to and which course. Some courses would be extremely difficult to get onto without any qualifications. You might be better of starting with a course at a local college to get you used to studying again and ease you in, that way it won't be such a shock to the system when you start uni and it will give you a qualification as well
You'd have to look at the requirements for specific Foundation courses, some will require at least GCSE's.

if you have no formal qualifications at all it could be very difficult, what I recommend is that you look into getting at least a few GCSE's, Maths and English Language at least (and aim from at least a C).
Reply 5
If you are severely dyselxic, and this made you fail your GCSE's etc, you won't be able to do a degree.

Unless there is another reason you didn't get GCSEs?
Reply 6
Original post by Historophilia
You'd have to look at the requirements for specific Foundation courses, some will require at least GCSE's.

if you have no formal qualifications at all it could be very difficult, what I recommend is that you look into getting at least a few GCSE's, Maths and English Language at least (and aim from at least a C).

It also depends on the course though, don't panic too much if you struggle more in some areas than others.

I got a D in GCSE Maths, my dyslexia and dyspraxia affect maths and languages more than anything else and because i've only been diagnosed at the age of 29 no one knew why i did so badly at these subjects other than teachers thinking i just wasn't putting the effort in. I've managed to get onto a Masters in Durham without a Maths GCSE, in fact I don't even think they asked me what my A levels were when i applied, only my undergraduate degree.
Reply 7
Original post by james1211
If you are severely dyselxic, and this made you fail your GCSE's etc, you won't be able to do a degree.

You can.
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
You can.

So you are basically saying that the OP only failed because of laziness or not being clever enough, not dyslexia? Because if the dyslexia was the main cause of failing the qualifications, then that is not something that would change with a degree.

Do you see my point?
Reply 9
So you are basically saying that the OP only failed because of laziness or not being clever enough, not dyslexia? Because if the dyslexia was the main cause of failing the qualifications, then that is not something that would change with a degree.

Do you see my point?

:s-smilie: Where did I ever imply that the OP was lazy?

I simply stated that if you failed your GCSEs, you can still do a degree.

Do you see my point?

So what? It could be that the OP had no support with her dyslexia during her GCSEs and as she says, illness stopped from gaining the qualifications. Now that she's well and with the proper support in place, there is no reason why the OP can't attain a degree.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
So what? It could be that the OP had no support with her dyslexia during her GCSEs and as she says, illness stopped from gaining the qualifications. Now that she's well and with the proper support in place, there is no reason why the OP can't attain a degree.

Exactly. You can also get a degree from OU with no previous qualifications.
Reply 12
The OP will however have to do some sort of entry qualification before attending university. If anything just to demonstrate they have the right level of aptitude to study a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest