Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Linguistics degree with science-based A-levels?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I started my A-Levels, I wanted to do either medicine or natural sciences or something science-based. I took physics, mathematics, chemistry and biology for my AS subjects. I'm getting good grades in them and my target grades are all A*'s.

But recently I've had a change of heart so to speak when I found out about a linguistics degree. In an ideal world, I would study it at Cambridge but I've also looked into UCL and York, amongst a few others.

Most places say you don't need an English A-level, but would I be at a disadvantage applying with the A-levels I have, seeing as they are so science-based? Opinions and advice would be so helpful!

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually found that my subjects (French, German, English language, plus AS Lit and philosophy) cut me off from a lot of linguistics options. Some unis (UCL comes to mind) *require* science subjects!

I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage: it *is* a science (there are courses that lean more towards science or arts, but I wanted an arts one and came across mostly sciencey ones), they're all good academic subjects and presumably you have a genuine interest in it. If you did want to bolster your subjects, I'd say take another AS next year in English or a modern language, but you should be fine as you are - lots of background reading and enthusiasm will probably do.

(FTR, I ended up applying for modern languages.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLUCIEEE)
    When I started my A-Levels, I wanted to do either medicine or natural sciences or something science-based. I took physics, mathematics, chemistry and biology for my AS subjects. I'm getting good grades in them and my target grades are all A*'s.

But recently I've had a change of heart so to speak when I found out about a linguistics degree. In an ideal world, I would study it at Cambridge but I've also looked into UCL and York, amongst a few others.

Most places say you don't need an English A-level, but would I be at a disadvantage applying with the A-levels I have, seeing as they are so science-based? Opinions and advice would be so helpful!

Thanks!
    On the contrary, science A-levels are an advantage when applying for Linguistics. My A-level in Chemistry was what swung it for me when I got a transfer from English Lit to Linguistics at York. Then again, I also have A-levels in English Language and English Literature (as well as Art) and I'm not sure whether it would be easy applying without any language-related subjects. I would ring/email admissions departments and find out.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to linguistics too. They say they welcome people from scienced-based subjects as well as art-based so you're at no disadvantage. UCL even like you more if you do a science/maths subject. Some will want a foreign language at gcse, but apart from that I don't think they are too fussy. It's best to have a look at the uni requirements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scireamortente)
    I want to apply to linguistics too. They say they welcome people from scienced-based subjects as well as art-based so you're at no disadvantage. UCL even like you more if you do a science/maths subject. Some will want a foreign language at gcse, but apart from that I don't think they are too fussy. It's best to have a look at the uni requirements.
    Thank you! Yeah I got A*s in both French and English Language at GCSE, hoping that will make up for my lack of a language at A-Level
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LLUCIEEE)

Thanks!
    I am a graduate of the UCL programme. I think the only reason I got an offer in the first place was because my A-levels were weighted towards the sciences. Maths and Biology have more to do with Linguistics than English (lit) or French A-levels, believe me. The actual skills you will need on the degree are mostly analytical, rather than literary. A big problem they have had historically is arts students enrolling thinking it's going to be like an English degree, and dropping like flies a few weeks into first term.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.