Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I eating enough to lose weight?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR guys and girls,

I'm an 18-year old male, around 5ft 7", weighing an average amount for my age (I'm aware that we can't post specific weights, am I correct?). I like to exercise for the enjoyment as well as the health benefits, and usually run around 2 miles per day, 6 times a week.

I'll usually complete this two mile jog in about 14 or 15 minutes, so I'm running at a fairly fast rate (7 to 7.5 minutes per mile). I've kept it up for over a good three months but I've not really noticed any significant weight loss, besides from my legs becoming more toned and losing a bit of weight on my face.

Here's what I'd generally eat in a day. I never eat breakfast, not because I don't want to, it's just my uni days tend to start around 11am, so I'd get up about 10am. I'm not hungry and usually just wait it out till lunch. For lunch I'd probably have a salad pot, such as chicken & bacon pasta salad from Asda or something similar. For dinner I'd cook some raw chicken with chips. Or I'd have a ready meal or something similar. Rarely I eat fast food and the like.

So why am I not seeing any noticeable weight loss from around my stomach area? I don't have a muffin top or any obvious fat around that, but I'd like to tone it up a bit. What should I be doing to ensure I lose that extra bit from around my stomach?

Thanks for reading
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't spot-reduce fat.

If you are losing weight then eventually it will start leaving your mid-section. Purely depends on genetics as to where you store and lose fat first.

As long as you are losing weight,if that's your only goal, you should be happy, have patience... the slower the weight is lost the more likely you will be able to keep it off.

If you stop losing weight, either decrease calories or up the exercise, it's really that simple.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInformer)
    You can't spot-reduce fat.

If you are losing weight then eventually it will start leaving your mid-section. Purely depends on genetics as to where you store and lose fat first.

As long as you are losing weight,if that's your only goal, you should be happy, have patience... the slower the weight is lost the more likely you will be able to keep it off.

If you stop losing weight, either decrease calories or up the exercise, it's really that simple.
    thanks I know it takes time and all that, I did mention it haha. It's been leaving my face and around my back so I guess I'll just have to stick it out a lot longer!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slappyhours)
    thanks I know it takes time and all that, I did mention it haha. It's been leaving my face and around my back so I guess I'll just have to stick it out a lot longer!
    I know that feeling. At least your face is leaning up, probably the most satisfying place to lose weight from. Unfortunately it seems most people lose weight from their midsection last and it's often the first place the body seems to store fat.

Just make sure you don't return to old bad habits once your at the level you want as it's easy to do.

Another thing - try to eat breakfast, even if it's just a piece of fruit or something, it will help in preventing you from over-eating later on as you will be less hungry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've been doing the same workout for the past three months you're body has gotten use to the routine. You need to continuously challenge your body. Increase the distance and resistance. Also, in order to lose fat, you need to do at least 30 minutes of cardio.

As for your diet, it's good that you're eating chicken and lean meat. How are your portions though? It's more important to be eating smaller amounts but more often throughout the day to increase your metabolism.

Hope that helps...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR guys and girls,

I'm an 18-year old male, around 5ft 7", weighing an average amount for my age (I'm aware that we can't post specific weights, am I correct?). I like to exercise for the enjoyment as well as the health benefits, and usually run around 2 miles per day, 6 times a week.

I'll usually complete this two mile jog in about 14 or 15 minutes, so I'm running at a fairly fast rate (7 to 7.5 minutes per mile). I've kept it up for over a good three months but I've not really noticed any significant weight loss, besides from my legs becoming more toned and losing a bit of weight on my face.

Here's what I'd generally eat in a day. I never eat breakfast, not because I don't want to, it's just my uni days tend to start around 11am, so I'd get up about 10am. I'm not hungry and usually just wait it out till lunch. For lunch I'd probably have a salad pot, such as chicken & bacon pasta salad from Asda or something similar. For dinner I'd cook some raw chicken with chips. Or I'd have a ready meal or something similar. Rarely I eat fast food and the like.

So why am I not seeing any noticeable weight loss from around my stomach area? I don't have a muffin top or any obvious fat around that, but I'd like to tone it up a bit. What should I be doing to ensure I lose that extra bit from around my stomach?

Thanks for reading
    Your diet is awful. You should be eating breakfast, regardless of what time you wake up (lectures start at 11am wtf course do you do?). You could have a bowel of oats with some chopped fruit thrown in there. It will keep you going for much longer.

Your lunch sounds groce and it's probably full of salt. It isn't hard to make yourself something simple like vegetables and a skinless chicken breast. Make it the night before and take it to uni in a tub.

Dinner could be improved. Ditch the chips and replace it with some whole rice. You should also be eating some more vegetables. Have a fresh salad, some cherry tomatos, something like that with your lean meat. Some fish would also go down pretty well.

Generally, I'm sure you know this, but you need to be aiming for a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb/week. If you cut the **** out of your diet you will prevent yourself from becoming skinnyfat. I bet you feel like **** all day after not eating breakfast. I would.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaghettiFellOut)
    Your diet is awful. You should be eating breakfast, regardless of what time you wake up (lectures start at 11am wtf course do you do?). You could have a bowel of oats with some chopped fruit thrown in there. It will keep you going for much longer.

Your lunch sounds groce and it's probably full of salt. It isn't hard to make yourself something simple like vegetables and a skinless chicken breast. Make it the night before and take it to uni in a tub.

Dinner could be improved. Ditch the chips and replace it with some whole rice. You should also be eating some more vegetables. Have a fresh salad, some cherry tomatos, something like that with your lean meat. Some fish would also go down pretty well.

Generally, I'm sure you know this, but you need to be aiming for a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb/week. If you cut the **** out of your diet you will prevent yourself from becoming skinnyfat. I bet you feel like **** all day after not eating breakfast. I would.
    cheers man. haha i do economics! yeah i'm aware of the whole calorie deficit thing, as i've mentioned i have been losing weight anyway. i'll do what you suggested! and the breakfast thing i've just got used to. even though i don't eat past 7pm rarely do i wake up and feel hungry. so i just go without really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cheers man. haha i do economics! yeah i'm aware of the whole calorie deficit thing, as i've mentioned i have been losing weight anyway. i'll do what you suggested! and the breakfast thing i've just got used to. even though i don't eat past 7pm rarely do i wake up and feel hungry. so i just go without really.
    hmmmm. Eat breakfast, I recommend a good granola bar such as nature valley (avoid the ones with chocolate or syrup, high in sugar), a fruit or two and a glass of semi skimmed milk. Good way to get a good serving of calcium and fibre on the go. But nothing beats a good breakfast but at the same time not everyone has the time and energy to prepare one first thing the morning, sometimes you just have to make adjustments.

my estimation based on your meals, assuming that's your portions are large, would put your calorie intake around 1000-1200. I count calories and pride myself on being able to guess correctly how the nutritional value of most foods. If you read labels it becomes second nature. now if you subtract say 300cal for excercise. I would say that you are NOT eating enough. If you're losing weight with your current strategy, there's no need to up your calorie intake. However, if the scale won't budge and you're doing everything right, it might be time to up your calories a bit. This usually happens when someone is training really hard several days a week and 1200 to 1300 calories is just not enough to keep their body fueled. Keeping your body properly fueled is important for weight loss.

You may have also hit your plateau as someone has mentioned. You either need to start running 3 miles or more, or increase your speed. I think you should cut back back on running and do something totally different like swimming or cycling to give your body a shock and work different muscles.

So try increasing calorie intake by a couple hundred for two weeks, if you gain weight, that's good because it means your were eating enough, if you lose weight also goo because it means you weren't eating Enough.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denny Crane)
    hmmmm. Eat breakfast, I recommend a good granola bar such as nature valley (avoid the ones with chocolate or syrup, high in sugar), a fruit or two and a glass of semi skimmed milk. Good way to get a good serving of calcium and fibre on the go. But nothing beats a good breakfast but at the same time not everyone has the time and energy to prepare one first thing the morning, sometimes you just have to make adjustments.

my estimation based on your meals, assuming that's your portions are large, would put your calorie intake around 1000-1200. I count calories and pride myself on being able to guess correctly how the nutritional value of most foods. If you read labels it becomes second nature. now if you subtract say 300cal for excercise. I would say that you are NOT eating enough. If you're losing weight with your current strategy, there's no need to up your calorie intake. However, if the scale won't budge and you're doing everything right, it might be time to up your calories a bit. This usually happens when someone is training really hard several days a week and 1200 to 1300 calories is just not enough to keep their body fueled. Keeping your body properly fueled is important for weight loss.

You may have also hit your plateau as someone has mentioned. You either need to start running 3 miles or more, or increase your speed. I think you should cut back back on running and do something totally different like swimming or cycling to give your body a shock and work different muscles.

So try increasing calorie intake by a couple hundred for two weeks, if you gain weight, that's good because it means your were eating enough, if you lose weight also goo because it means you weren't eating Enough.
    thanks yeah i've come to realise that i need to change the types of food i am eating too. thanks for your input! and yeah i'm forever reading the calories of foods and wondering how long it'll be before i can exercise it off
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not eating breakfast will be a problem. Eat protein rich meals, eat little and often so you're metabolism is high. Eat properly. Exercise. Do this and you will lose fat and gain muscle.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.