Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people 'neg and run'?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Neither of you took the time to analyse my post or see past your ignorance which may have enabled you to suggest ways of improving the site.
    Analyse your post? It's some bullet points and a couple of sentences, hardly a work of prose is it? A few minutes were enough for me to read through it and pose a question, merely pondering why you cared so much about neg-repping which is something you failed to mention in your original post.

You are looking for a reason as to why you are being anonymously neg-repped, have you considered the fact that you come across a bit close-minded?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zubz91)
    it would be better if you said who ever pos reps you or neg reps you, their names should show and then you can contact them yourself
    This feature already exists but you need to pay £3.99 a month for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it's just a hassle to post in the thread stating that I've negged someone or PMing/VMing them. It's a little red mark on an online forum. Not exactly the end of the world, imo.

One reason why I neg though is if I just don't feel like debating. I'm usually tired when I get on here, tired because I haven't got enough sleep and have got more than enough drama. That being said, I do want to show my disapproval if I don't agree. It's much easier to click a thumbs-down rather than writing out a lengthy post (I'm way to inclined towards rambling, hah!) in reply.
    • 24 followers

(Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Because people want to have their cake and eat it too!

On another note as a mod I'm sure you're aware that this topic is sprung to life every few weeks or so by someone starting a thread on it. So how many times do you think people on average complain about the repuatation system?
    Quite often it seems. Once a month, twice a month perhaps :holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, a neg is not that big of a deal. It's stupid when it's done for no reason, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. But I do agree the system should be removed. There's no good purpose for it.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    You're taking it a bit too seriously, what would you have done in the old days when negs could put you back -400 (or more) points? :p:
    Says the person with the 8+ :awesome:

I do love your posts democracy :cute:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I neg subs/mods to watch their tears of vengeance as they neg me back.
    :lol:

You're taking it a bit too seriously, what would you have done in the old days when negs could put you back -400 (or more) points? :p:
    *Sigh* I kinda miss those days.

I'm not sure if this is in the right section but I guess it's relevant to this part of the forums in some ways. Anyway, it is perhaps the most cowardly thing to do, to neg-rep someone without giving a good reason for it.

Countless times I've been negged anonymously by spineless cowards who were either too lazy or too scared to confront me. Because of this, I'm calling for new procedures to be implemented into the negging system.

1. Firstly, upon negging a fellow user, there has to be an option for stating a reason which should in turn, be overlooked by the mods and forum admins (or whoever's job it is)
    2. Secondly, the creator of the post that was negged, must receive a notification regarding the negging, provided the mods and admins deemed the neg justifiable
    3. Thirdly, users issuing other users with unfair and unjustified neg-rep should be given a minor warning (maybe 1-2 points) so they don't repeat the same offence of unjustified neg-repping

I think if these measures were implemented, TSR would be a better and much friendlier place where intellectual debates can preside over anonymous and cowardly neg-repping; neg repping done by wimpy kids who don't have the balls to state a reason.

Who is with me?? Can we get some sort of petition going?
    Sometimes a person might not know what to say in response or they may not feel comfortable or confident and yet they still disagree, so I don't think a person should feel they have to give a reason every time they give neg rep. There are times I simply give neg rep without replying to the thread, I don't think I could be arsed to give a reason every time. I don't think it's cowardly to do so.
    Back in the old rep system the only way you could rep someone was through their profile, (as you still can now. ) You selected whether to give them positive or negative rep and you could leave a comment.
    From what I understand, the reason you can no longer leave a comment when giving neg rep is because that ability was frequently abused, with people leaving harsh and spiteful comments. Therefore I think that if a person really wants a response as to why they have been negged, they should sub up so they can see who negged them and then PM that person to ask why they were negged. I think it's the only way.

About your second point, I don't see why the mods/supermods/admins should have to review every neg/pos rep given. If they did they would never get any real work done. It's really over the top and unncessary. I really don't think you need to be notified every time you get negged either, there is simply no need if you are constantly coming onto TSR anyway.

Thirdly, How would it be determind under the current system that a person gave a neg unfairly or unjustly? Who decides and under what terms? Once again the concept is over the top and the fact that someone might be warned for it is especially over the top. Furthermore it might put a lot of people off TSR. I really can't see that happerning.

On the topic of neg rep, what could be done is that when a person gives neg rep through a persons profile, there could be a drop down box of standard or most common reasons that a person could select from.

Other than that if a person giving neg wants to give a reason they can, otherwise they are not under any obligation to do so. And I'm not sure people should be under any obligation.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

Neggers gon' neg.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    TSR should get rid of the system. It creates an aura of falseness, and people withdraw and hold back on their posts in fear of being negged.
    I agree that some people might hold back on their posts and on their opinions for fear of being negged, but at the same time I think the rep system is still partially useful. Before I go on I will say that actually it was a lot worse in the old days of the rep system when rep power was a lot more. One neg might set you back hundreds of points. These days it's single digits.

About the rep system, on other forums a person might agree by simply posting the laugh emoticon :lol: or something like it, and nothing else. However some mods don't like that and I think I've been warned or notified about that before. I think the rep system is useful if you want to agree with someone or appreciate something they have said without the need to respond. There have been times when I have agreed or laughed but haven't felt the need to reply so giving rep just works nicely. So I think that in that respect the rep system works.
    And in the same token, disagreeing with something whilst not replying doesn't equal cowardice. If the thread is already long and already deep into another one of those long and futile conversations a person might not want to get involved but still show they disagree.

Of course it has been abused and still is, but there are still advantages to it. So I don't think it should be scrapped, despite the fact that I agree some people may be holding back in their posts for fear of being negged.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think the rep system should be scrapped tbh and I don't see the point of it, I don't know any other internet forum that does it. It prevents some people from posting what they really think or feel because they are scared of getting negative reps, and then you also get a lot of people pandering to reps by posting things which they think other people will like and positively rep.

Anyone who says anything which the majority disagree with is likely to negged to hell and back whether what they are saying is incorrect or not. It also gives users preconceived and often false ideas about other forum members based on how many green or red squares they have by their names. I've seen some people with tons of green squares repeatedly post very stupid and offensive things, and some people with tons of red squares make some very valid observations and statements. Yet people are less likely to take on board what the person with the negative rep posts because they have prejudged them based on their rep.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I negged you for being one of those to jump on the "Oh yeahh who cares about internet neg-repping" bandwagon.

I negged you for the same reason I negged the person above.

Neither of you took the time to analyse my post or see past your ignorance which may have enabled you to suggest ways of improving the site.
    So in other words, we don't agree, so you do to them exactly what you're complaining about? What is this I don't even.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even though I negged the OP the bit about neg rep comments is true. They were fun, but they got taken away probably because of some homo reason related to bullying or something.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can't moderate someone's will to either agree or disagree with you.
    Perhaps instead of attacking the system it would be wiser to figure out what you're posting that so many people are disagreeing with. It's easy to spot the people who have red gems because they just have unpopular opinions, as opposed to people with red gems because they're just a bit detrimental to the forum.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I agree that some people might hold back on their posts and on their opinions for fear of being negged, but at the same time I think the rep system is still partially useful. Before I go on I will say that actually it was a lot worse in the old days of the rep system when rep power was a lot more. One neg might set you back hundreds of points. These days it's single digits.

About the rep system, on other forums a person might agree by simply posting the laugh emoticon :lol: or something like it, and nothing else. However some mods don't like that and I think I've been warned or notified about that before. I think the rep system is useful if you want to agree with someone or appreciate something they have said without the need to respond. There have been times when I have agreed or laughed but haven't felt the need to reply so giving rep just works nicely. So I think that in that respect the rep system works.
    And in the same token, disagreeing with something whilst not replying doesn't equal cowardice. If the thread is already long and already deep into another one of those long and futile conversations a person might not want to get involved but still show they disagree.

Of course it has been abused and still is, but there are still advantages to it. So I don't think it should be scrapped, despite the fact that I agree some people may be holding back in their posts for fear of being negged.
    Then give them a thumbs up of agreement like on YouTube? Solved
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to experience "neg and run" then you should "duck and cover"
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOL zangoose i feel sorry for you mate, your post backfired
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Says the person with the 8+ :awesome:

I do love your posts democracy :cute:
    If people choose to rep me it has nothing to do with how seriously I take rep. I don't ask for it! And thanks :bigsmile:

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    *Sigh* I kinda miss those days.
    I think rep system was slightly more meaningful in those days, now all you need to do is post a before and after weight loss picture in Fitness and you'll be pos repped 500 times :rolleyes:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think rep system was slightly more meaningful in those days, now all you need to do is post a before and after weight loss picture in Fitness and you'll be pos repped 500 times :rolleyes:
    Or post an animal picture in the "Awwww thread."
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Your suggestions! :laugh: :rofl: :facepalm:

Because of this, I'm calling for new procedures to be implemented into the negging system.
    1. Firstly, upon negging a fellow user, there has to be an option for stating a reason which should in turn, be overlooked by the mods and forum admins (or whoever's job it is)
    1. Do you not think the Forum Staff are busy enough?
    2. Secondly, the creator of the post that was negged, must receive a notification regarding the negging, provided the mods and admins deemed the neg justifiable ?
Again..........do you not think the admin and mods are busy enough? How on earth are they literally supposed to police a forum and then come along and monitor PM messages and now rep!?
  • Thirdly, users issuing other users with unfair and unjustified neg-rep should be given a minor warning (maybe 1-2 points) so they don't repeat the same offence of unjustified neg-repping
  • Bit in bold: "issuing" please.... I am clicking a thumbs down icon! I am not doing anything special or intricate! :laugh: It is clicking a button with a thumbs down on it!!! I am hardly going through effort to in effect stick my middle finger up to your post or anything. :laugh: If I was filling out a form and signing it ........ I could understand how i'd be issuing rep.

Bit in italics: "offence" you see. Unjustified neg-repping is a crime! Computer Misuse Act 1990 makes it illegal. Apparantly its liable to "a maximum of 6 months imprisonment and an unlimited fine upon summary conviction" right? *sigh* :rolleyes:

I think if these measures were implemented, TSR would be a better and much friendlier place where intellectual debates can preside over anonymous and cowardly neg-repping; neg repping done by wimpy kids who don't have the balls to state a reason.

Who is with me?? can we get some sort of petition going?
    I think youre more wimpy to be honest to be complaining like this. :facepalm:

The Student Room don't do petitions. You want the No 10 Downing Street website. See if you can get 10,000 signatures and have them debate it in Parliament. Maybe a nice new law can be implemented.

That or submit one to the TSR MHoC
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    That or submit one to the TSR MHoC
    Not that it would help....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
    1. this can't be left blank
      that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
      this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
      your full birthday is required
    1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
    New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
    Reputation gems:
    You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.