Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat

MOT- Pretty sure I overpaid.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, my brother just got his '93 Corsa MOT'd and with his company connections managed to pay £35 all said and done.

I got mine done ('98 Corsa) and it was two days of annoyance and spending more and more money. They replaced the LAMBDA sensor for £70 to reduce my emissions. That didn't work, so they put my old one back and gave me 9 new spark plugs and a new coil pack.

This didn't bring my emissions down low enough so they put the new LAMBDA sensor back in. I just paid £267.60 for an MOT and I feel that I got ripped off. This is the same company that replaced my exhaust and 1 brake pad for £200 last month, which made my dad flip (former mechanic and current engineer).

Just looking for some in sight.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of confused why you didn't ask your dad to give it a quick look over being a former mechanic to see if what they were saying was accurate.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why did they just replace one brake pad, that is pretty dangerous to only do one side!?

Sounds like a failing catalytic converter to me, if you think £300 is bad, I wouldn't take it back for them to replace the Cat!

Your mate got £35 because his car doesn't have any problems on it. £56.70 I think is the gov't cap.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    9 new spark plugs?

You have a 9 cylinder Corsa? No wonder it failed the emissions tests.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I'm kind of confused why you didn't ask your dad to give it a quick look over being a former mechanic to see if what they were saying was accurate.
    He works 6-6 and replaced my washer motor and told me about having to replace
    my exhaust, so he has given it a once over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Why did they just replace one brake pad, that is pretty dangerous to only do one side!?

Sounds like a failing catalytic converter to me, if you think £300 is bad, I wouldn't take it back for them to replace the Cat!

Your mate got £35 because his car doesn't have any problems on it. £56.70 I think is the gov't cap.
    My dad reckons that they wanted a quick £50 for brake pad. They asked if I wanted to replace the cat and I said no.

Also my brother's car has a few problems but took it to a different garage. They half the price of the MOT because he works for a guy that brings them a lot of business and comp'd him a couple fixes. They said that it's pretty much guaranteed he won't pass another MOT.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take it to that garage then!?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Take it to that garage then!?
    I'm going to next time but it's far away, my brother would have had to take it while he was at work (he has the week off). My dad recommended this garage but only used it for tyres before, so he didn't realise they were so expensive. It's my fault for leaving it so late, my MOT runs out Monday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so you took it there first, and thought you'd paid too much and your Dad was annoyed at how much you paid, so you took it there AGAIN for the MOT?

Surely if you go to a garage and think they are just looking to make a quick buck you wouldn't take it back to the same one?
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your local council should have an MOT bay that has no vested interest in you passing or failing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    -50 for mot
    -80 quid for parts (thier markup included)
    - 25 half hour labour

They probably took your bill and added 100 pounds to the price.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Your local council should have an MOT bay that has no vested interest in you passing or failing.
    To clarify this, its the place that does all the busses and lark.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomer1122)
    Wait, so you took it there first, and thought you'd paid too much and your Dad was annoyed at how much you paid, so you took it there AGAIN for the MOT?

Surely if you go to a garage and think they are just looking to make a quick buck you wouldn't take it back to the same one?
    My dad thought the brake pad was expensive because my brother could have done it for nothing, I didn't realise until I got home. It was the MOT that seemed too much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is why you get the MOT done and don't authorise them to do any work until you SAY SO.

You must have given them the all clear to do work, as the car would have had a failed MOT.

I think it's something like, you have a week to get the problem fixed, and then the MOT station is allowed to re-test for free.

When I had my MOT done in January, it failed on 2 tyres. The garage called me to let me know, I ordered the tyres I wanted, had them delivered to the garage, they fitted them etc etc, re-tested for free and it passed.

And I agree about taking it to one of your County Council's MOT testing stations. They don't do any work at these places, just the test.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    This is why you get the MOT done and don't authorise them to do any work until you SAY SO.

You must have given them the all clear to do work, as the car would have had a failed MOT.

I think it's something like, you have a week to get the problem fixed, and then the MOT station is allowed to re-test for free.

When I had my MOT done in January, it failed on 2 tyres. The garage called me to let me know, I ordered the tyres I wanted, had them delivered to the garage, they fitted them etc etc, re-tested for free and it passed.

And I agree about taking it to one of your County Council's MOT testing stations. They don't do any work at these places, just the test.
    Thanks, going to remember this for the next time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Find a reputable place to do your MOT at that won't BS you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)

some garages maybe, but its not a required thing.
    you are also technically not allowed to drive the car if its failed an MOT, as you know its not road worthy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You Sir lack common sense. Join the army.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    some garages maybe, but its not a required thing.
    If you don't take the car away from the garage they can't charge for a retest. If you do take it and return it for re-inspection within 10(?) days (might be 14) they can only charge a partial retest fee, max of half the price of a full MOT.
    you are also technically not allowed to drive the car if its failed an MOT, as you know its not road worthy.
    You can drive it home, or for pre-booked work. Also failing an MOT doesn't invalidate a previous MOT so that itself doesn't prevent you from continuing to drive the car, but if the car is unroadworthy you can't legally drive it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    If you don't take the car away from the garage they can't charge for a retest. If you do take it and return it for re-inspection within 10(?) days (might be 14) they can only charge a partial retest fee, max of half the price of a full MOT.

You can drive it home, or for pre-booked work. Also failing an MOT doesn't invalidate a previous MOT so that itself doesn't prevent you from continuing to drive the car, but if the car is unroadworthy you can't legally drive it.
    being that an MOT is a test of road worthness, by failing it you are showing the car is not roadworthy.

the old mot is still valid, and provided that you fix whats not roadworthy you can still take it on the road.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.