Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pasty Row

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 16-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh this is still something being talked about?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Under the 'hot food = VAT' rule, would i have to pay extra on a sandwich from Subway if i were to have it toasted?

What if the meat were hot/microwaved?
    Yes anything above room temperature
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsnake23)
    My point was that most of the left leaning media have blown this 'pasty tax' way out of proportion. Its as if they want to divert attention to the fact that most of the working population will receive hundreds of pounds extra a year. Instead they want to focus on a tiny tax change designed to close a loophole that will cost a small section of the population a few pence a year, and that's assuming pasty shops actually pass on the price increase.

Also referring to your question, I really can't see why students would be more concerned about saving a few pence on a small range of hot food when they will end up receiving £100+ per year extra when they graduate or on their work placement year. I can't imagine other people being particularly bothered if it wasn't for the media spinning this story.
    Its not just the media, over half a million of people have opposed the tax and signed a petition. Yes a tiny tax will make a difference, single mums can barely afford the 66p treat for there kids as it is, however the extra 12p means that they might just not be able to treat they children. A sausage roll on the bus home from town might just be that child highlight of the day and your saying the government are right to take this away from them. It might not sound like a big deal to you , however I have met some of these people and the extra 20% will just be that too much.
    Why make the poorer and the rich even more rich!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.