Double standard: concrete proof

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lag-FREED.html

A white man makes racist comments about a black man while drunk and gets a prison sentence.

Four black women beat a white woman black and blue, shouting 'Kill the white slag' while drunk, and get a suspended sentence.

Wake up!
    First of all, Somalians aren't usually considered black. But anyway, if anything their race was not used to get them out of trouble, instead it was their religion. So it's not really the same thing unfortunately for you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Personally I think that the arrest and incarceration of young man for posting silly things on Twitter makes a mockery of the British justice system and shows the British public up as fools for allowing such behaviour to qualify as 'policing'. Have they really got nothing better to do than follow up the complaints of middle class bleeding-heart liberals that feign outrage whenever someome mutters something they disagree with?

Anyone that supports the imprisonment of Liam Stacey is a fascist that needs to to have a long hard think about the sort of society they'd like to live in.
    How are they a fascist?

I bet if a black Muslim man starting posting explicit racism on the internet against white British people, you would be one of the first to go on the attack and call for a punishment. I can't believe you dismiss racism as 'silly' - don't you understand the implications of racism?

In fact this whole thread is seemingly based around racism because of the Muslim gang you are in outrage over (and rightly so, it's unacceptable)

Personally I'd like to live in a society where people are punished for racism; whether the punishment was fair or not in this case is a different matter, but you seem to think he should have been let off just because it's Twitter?

You're annoyed when this Muslim gang launch a racist attack, but when a white man is racist it's okay because it's just 'silly remarks on Twitter'. What kind of society dismisses racism just because of the format it took place in?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liberty)
    First of all, Somalians aren't usually considered black. But anyway, if anything their race was not used to get them out of trouble, instead it was their religion. So it's not really the same thing unfortunately for you.
    Well I know a lot of Somalians, and the truth is that they don't consider themselves black. But everyone else does.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    How are they a fascist?

I bet if a black Muslim man starting posting explicit racism on the internet against white British people, you would be one of the first to go on the attack and call for a punishment. I can't believe you dismiss racism as 'silly' - don't you understand the implications of racism?

In fact this whole thread is seemingly based around racism because of the Muslim gang you are in outrage over (and rightly so, it's unacceptable)

Personally I'd like to live in a society where people are punished for racism; whether the punishment was fair or not in this case is a different matter, but you seem to think he should have been let off just because it's Twitter?

You're annoyed when this Muslim gang launch a racist attack, but when a white man is racist it's okay because it's just 'silly remarks on Twitter'. What kind of society dismisses racism just because of the format it took place in?
    Of course I wouldn't want the police locking up black Muslims for making derogatory comments on the internet, this is because I believe in the ideals of tolerance and freedom of speech. As Ron Paul said we don't have free speech so we can talk about the weather, it's there to protect us from arbitrary government when we feel the need to say something controversial. Liam Stacey's comments were insensitive but no more so than millions of others made daily on the Twittersphere. I personally don't relish the idea of having to watch every word I say incase I accidentally cause offence. Be careful what you wish for.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Of course I wouldn't want the police locking up black Muslims for making derogatory comments on the internet, this is because I believe in the ideals of tolerance and freedom of speech. As Ron Paul said we don't have free speech so we can talk about the weather, it's there to protect us from arbitrary government when we feel the need to say something controversial. Liam Stacey's comments were insensitive but no more so than millions of others made daily on the Twittersphere daily. I personally don't relish the idea of having to watch every word I say incase I accidentally cause offence. Be careful what you wish for.
    I didn't say jailed, I merely said punished. You implied that the police should ignore reports that people have been racist on the internet, effectively letting them get away with it. I think racism is a little more than 'insensitive' and you know that yourself.

It doesn't necessarily have to be jail of course, but we can't just let people racially abuse each other in the name of freedom of speech. I have no issue with freedom of speech, but we have to draw the line somewhere, I'm sure you agree.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lag-FREED.html

A white man makes racist comments about a black man while drunk and gets a prison sentence.

Four black women beat a white woman black and blue, shouting 'Kill the white slag' while drunk, and get a suspended sentence.

Wake up!
    well done for cherry picking....., but okay, i assume you are trying to say that white people get more of a tough time with the law than ethnic people?

how about this ?-http://blogs.news.sky.com/skyinvestigates/Post:b3ae1bde-0c2b-4afe-b3f9-aa03558330ef

Muslim boy gets arrested for making a comment about soldiers on facebook- surely this is quite similar to the English kid in your link?

Of course this is only an example from the top of my head. And next time, maybe try to use something like legal papers or court hearing reports to back your case up rather than populist newspapers designed to enrage the middle class?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    It recently won Newspaper of the Year.

(Original post by homonk)
    http://blog.cps.gov.uk/2011/12/cps-s...ifran-nur.html

http://fullfact.org/factcheck/Muslim..._drinking-3179

Apparently the sentence was suspended because one of the girls initially tried to break up the fight and the 'victims' boyfriend punched her in the face - the situation escalated.

Judges try to make a decision based on reliable, permissible evidence.

There are plenty of examples of them being hard on Muslims and easy on white racists.
    Oh so basically when people were sceptical of the OP for using The Daily Mail, they were totally right to be because, surprise surprise, they totally misrepresented the story.

"Don't trust The Daily Mail" isn't just some liberal cliché. They habitually lie, slander, misrepresent and outright make things up. It genuinely should never be trusted.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Well I know a lot of Somalians, and the truth is that they don't consider themselves black. But everyone else does.
    Really? Well, where I am, most people do not consider them black. That is beyond the point though and is quite unrelated. The fact is, they got away with it because they were Muslim. NOT because they were black. So there aren't any double standards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Such as.
    http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Mo...ail/story.html - suspended scentence

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...rs-sent-prison - only threw a bottle at a protest

I am cherry picking. I'm not going to look at every case taken to court.

I think that which news stories the original poster notices is informed by his bigotry, they don't confirm a trend.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    There was no evidence this was a hate crime, hence why they were not convicted of that. Why link to lies? The police and courts found no such evidence yet the OP and Daily Mail did? On the other hand the evidence against Stacey is indesputable.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    'Evidence' is an unneccesary point not needed. Like it says and relating it to this point, pointing to a small number of cases which obviously do not represent the whole system itself and suggesting that this is 'concrete proof' that double standards is essentially a built in factor in decisions made by the legal system is illogical and thus a fallacy.

In order for this not to apply to cherry picking, 'double standards' must be a very high majority, almost complete, factor in every legal decision related to these cases. And given i severely doubt anyone has such an illogical view as to suggest this is true and can back this up (if it were true, it would be in the media. Quite clearly 'bad' case go in the media, normal cases sentenced fine do not) then the point stands.
    haha, stopped reading after "evidence is not necessary. Classic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    How are they a fascist?

Imprisoning people for their politics is a fascist practice.

People are annoyed because the somali gang PHYSICALLY BEAT the woman whilst yelling racial epithets , and nothing is done. A moronic pisshead upsets a black man online and it's all guns blazing.

I want protection against racial assault, not racial offence. There's a huge difference.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha, stopped reading after "evidence is not necessary. Classic.
    Learn what you are talking about before speaking and embarrassing yourself
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, could you explain the original context in which evidence would not be necessary to prove a point? Cheers!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, could you explain the original context in which evidence would not be necessary to prove a point? Cheers!
    Cherry picking fallacy does not require counter-evidence as it is not a statement on a posts validity, simply to point out that the lack of evidence on the original posts part and the conclusion they draw is a fallacy. Try learning how to read English and then going back to read this thread, it will help you avoid embarrassment further.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cherry picking fallacy does not require counter-evidence, simply to point out that the lack of evidence on the original posts part is a fallacy. Try learning how to read English and then going back to read this thread, it will help you avoid embarrassment further.
    translation - "my ideological world view cannot accept evidence that would question or alter that world view."

Try learning to read english...
    =( you're hurting my feelings! desist or I will be forced to phone the police.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    translation - "my ideological world view cannot accept evidence that would question or alter that world view."
    What a shame that literally doesnt make sense. Ah well,. not like any of your posts do, been completely shown up by multiple people
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a shame that literally doesnt make sense. Ah well,. not like any of your posts do, been completely shown up by multiple people
    It makes perfect sense, you are selective about what evidence you choose to accept as valid based on your world view.

I told you before about feelings, now I am going to report you. You're in for a treat as well as my great-grandfather was mexican so you're racist.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It makes perfect sense, you are selective about what evidence you choose to accept as valid based on your world view.
    Nope.

One person picking examples to come up with a conclusion based upon a fallacy = cherry picking
    One person giving examples to disprove that complete conclusion, because it is a fallacy =/= cherry picking as there is no conclusion made.

Unfortunately another example of you showing you have no idea what you are talking about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the old bigot xenophobes are still around? what are you doing in the student room you peado!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 30, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.