Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do rabbis suck the wound on babies after circumcision?

Announcements Posted on
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Interesting, that would explain why this is common in New York. I don't suppose the ones in Manhattan are the ones having lots of kids but the more religious ones?
    Yeah, the Brooklyn Orthodox have high birth rates, and they're the ones most likely to perform this ritual.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Did you read the NYTimes article on it in the OP? Clearly it's still happening in large numbers in the US.
    Yeah...I read your link...but I can't find any other references to it anywhere else on the web. You'd think you would if it was happening in such large numbers, wouldn't you? :confused:

My little brother was circumcised, as, according to the Jewish obstetrician who delivered him, he needed to be. I'm sure my mum would have had something to say if a bystander to the procedure said that the obstetrician 'cleansed' the wound with spittle.

Such action was commonly performed during all manner of medical procedures many years ago. Maybe it's a relic of the past...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yeah...I read your link...but I can't find any other references to it anywhere else on the web. You'd think you would if it was happening in such large numbers, wouldn't you? :confused:

My little brother was circumcised, as, according to the Jewish obstetrician who delivered him, he needed to be. I'm sure my mum would have had something to say if a bystander to the procedure said that the obstetrician 'cleansed' the wound with spittle.

Such action was commonly performed during all manner of medical procedures many years ago. Maybe it's a relic of the past...
    This isn't something that occurs within hospitals, it's a religious practice which occurs within Orthodox Jewish circumcision ceremonies. It's pretty well known among Orthodox Jews but obviously liberal Jews send their children to those Orthodox places to get circumcised so it affects them too.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabrookes)
    It should be banned full stop - doing this for non medical grounds is mutilation (there is no other word it should be given), serves no useful purpose and reduces sensitivity later in life (and can cause serious sexual problems in some people).

If a guy at 18 is still stupid enough to want it done, then he can that will then be his choice. Also this is not the only reason babies die from this, a few die in hospitals every year as well and many more become seriously ill. The procedure is not simple on a baby. It is, relatively speaking, fairly dangerous and serious due to developmental reasons (the foreskin is attacked to the penis at this point in a different way and often requires ripping off).
    I agree. I don't see how this should be allowed given that babies cannot consent. Non-medical alterations of the body should not be allowed until the age of the person involved is old enough. I mean, it can happen over here as far I know but the boy is not old enough to have sex? You can agree to self-mutilation but can't stick your penis into another's orifice until you're 16 but can have your foreskin cut? And then you have to be 18 to have your skin decorated in the form of tattoos?! So why the difference? Religion being used an excuse for this practice has no philosophical foundations whatsoever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soindie)
    No, it is not common practice at all.

So, someone said that around 2000 Jews in New York do it. Considering the fact that 2 million Jews live in New York, only around 0.001% of Jews who live there do it.

As a Jew myself, I know how rare this process is within the Jewish community - the ultra-orthodox may see it as necessary, as they often take a 'fundamentalist' approach to following the Torah. However, the majority of Jews have progressed from this and think it is just plain weird...
    0.001%??! It's 0.1% not 0.001%, so either you're just terrible at maths or you're trying to blindly justify this disgusting paedophilic practice of rabbis sucking off babies.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.