The Student Room Group

Man has full face transplant - hugs surgeon after 36-hour operation

When Richard Norris first saw his new face in a mirror, three days after a 36-hour operation to complete the world's most extensive face transplant to date, he was lost for words.

But doctors conveyed wonder on his behalf as Norris continued relearning to talk "this is so cool," one of his surgeons kept repeating. Norris, 37, had lived behind a mask since a gun accident took away his lips, nose and the front part of his tongue 15 years ago.

Unusually for victims of facial gun injuries, his vision was largely unaffected, and so, as soon as possible after his surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Centre, he asked to see the results, doctors reported. On the same day, Norris, of Hillsville, Virginia, told them that he could smell, too.

The operation took place on 19 and 20 March. A week later, he was able to brush his teeth and shave. His new face, said lead surgeon Eduardo Rodriguez, is "a combination of two individuals, a true blend".

Norris is the 23rd person to have had a partial or full face transplant since surgeons in Amiens, France, carried out the first in 2005 on a woman who had been attacked by her dog. A picture of how he looks now shows just how his face has changed since his high-school graduation in 1993, and since the gun accident that destroyed much of his face. Stitches along his hairline and neck and scarring round the eyelids showed the extent of his surgery.

Norris had been living as a recluse, avoiding eating in public and shopping for groceries at night. Since the accident, of which the hospital revealed few details, he has not had a full-time job and has already undergone numerous life-saving and reconstructive operations.

"This accidental injury just destroyed everything," said Rodriguez. "His friends and colleagues went on to start getting married, having children, owning homes. He wants to make up for all that."

The operation, which involved more than 150 doctors, nurses and other staff, was just part of a remarkable 72 hours in which surgeons also transplanted a heart, both lungs, a liver and a kidney from the same anonymous donor, to other patients. For Norris, the surgeons transplanted teeth, the upper and lower jaw, a portion of the tongue and all facial tissue from the scalp to the base of the neck.

The most dramatic moment, according to Rodriguez, came after the team had removed all previous attempts at reconstruction. All that was left was part of Norris's tongue and minimal protection for his eyes. That was the point of no return. "At this point we had to be successful."

Now, however, Norris's face will require only minor, outpatient procedures.

Many developments in Baltimore have been made possible by US defence and naval research departments which have provided funding for face and hand operations for wounded soldiers. More than 1,000 troops have been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan and the government believes up to 200 troops may be eligible for face transplants. Doctors say they hope to operate on military patients soon.

"This miraculous event" for doctors and for Norris occurred after he was chosen from five potential patients, said Rodriguez. The selection process had included psychological testing. He described Norris's reaction to seeing a mirror "as one of the most emotional moments for him as well as for all of us. He put down the mirror and thanked me and hugged me, which was a wonderful gift …"

The operation, said Rodriguez, had "restored the 15 years he had lost. We are making him a functioning member of society again."

Rolf Barth, a transplant surgeon, said researchers had found there were fewer rejections with transplants involving a large amount of bone marrow with its own blood supply. Norris would have to take immunosuppressant drugs for the rest of his life to keep his body from rejecting the donated face. "This was the perfect patient to put into practice what we had discovered in the laboratory," he said.

The final word, at a press conference to explain the surgery, lay with Rodriguez's summing up of Norris's operation: "It is a surreal experience to look at him. It's hard not to stare. Before, people used to stare at Richard because he wore a mask and they wanted to see the deformity Now they have another reason to look at him, and it is really amazing."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/28/face-transplant-man-richard-norris

I think this is absolutely incredible - he's got his life back! Just thought I'd share :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Amazing isnt it?.
wow, after the scars and bruises have faded he'll look 'normal' so to speak - not like a person who's just had a face transplant :smile:

did he pay for this treatment, or did he get it for free?
Wow! Truly amazing!!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by translucent
wow, after the scars and bruises have faded he'll look 'normal' so to speak - not like a person who's just had a face transplant :smile:

did he pay for this treatment, or did he get it for free?

I'm not sure of course, but seeing as there's no NHS in America, I'm guessing he paid for it.
I wonder how they did it :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by translucent

did he pay for this treatment, or he got it for free?
I think the US Navy paid for it as research into how to treat injured soldiers. That's only 6 days after the operation too so there's still quite a bit of swelling that will go down but I agree that it will be difficult to notice he has had surgery at all, never mind so extensively.

My only concern would be how difficult it would be psychologically to look in the mirror and see a difference face but I suppose he's already had to deal with that once before. Must be quite unusual for the donors relatives too as he must resemble the donor to an extent.

Pretty incredible what they're capable of now days though :smile:
Reply 7
The operation, which involved more than 150 doctors, nurses and other staff, was just part of a remarkable 72 hours in which surgeons also transplanted a heart, both lungs, a liver and a kidney from the same anonymous donor, to other patients.

My favourite bit. Such a nice story :grin:
Reply 8
Original post by thurin
My favourite bit. Such a nice story :grin:

Mine too.The donor was so selfless :smile:.
Original post by inadilemma
I'm not sure of course, but seeing as there's no NHS in America, I'm guessing he paid for it.

It could have been pro bono :colondollar:

(Grey's Anatomy :colone:)
Reply 10
Original post by thegodofgod
It could have been pro bono :colondollar:

(Grey's Anatomy :colone:)

There's your answer :smile:

Original post by Logi
I think the US Navy paid for it as research into how to treat injured soldiers.
Reply 11
Impressive- Give him a baseball bat and he'll look like one of them gangsters off GTA-IV.
The transformation is one of the most uplifting things I've seen!
Reply 13
Cool.
Reply 14
So, anyone seen Face-off? Yeah. Run and hide motherflippers. Run, and, hide.
Reply 15
Just kidding. It's great that this guy has his life back. It really is amazing. Best wishes.
Wow! :eek:

The fact that his new face has been created from two others is very impressive!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Shame that the donor will never know how many lives he has saved/improved.

Everyone should be a donor.
Reply 18
"We are making him a functioning member of society again"

What the heck is that suppose to mean? Yeah, he didn't look like the average joe but he was still a working (alive and kicking with control over his arms & legs) orgasm of society. He lost his senses (taste to be precise) and aesthetics, I'm not saying it wasn't tragic but that it hadn't rendered him useless as implied.
Original post by Zurvan
"We are making him a functioning member of society again"

What the heck is that suppose to mean? Yeah, he didn't look like the average joe but he was still a working (alive and kicking with control over his arms & legs) orgasm of society. He lost his senses (taste to be precise) and aesthetics, I'm not saying it wasn't tragic but that it hadn't rendered him useless as implied.

It had rendered him essentially 'useless' (for want of a better word).

He couldn't speak, so that makes things pretty tough. Plus, I wouldn't want to see the light of day if I'd had injuries like those he suffered; I think most people would be far too self-concious to go out anywhere. As a result, he was basically housebound, so the operation (if the recovery is a success) will enable him to go out and interact with other people.

Also, I think you meant organism of society, right? :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending