The Student Room Group

Struggling with workload.

I get 20% extra time in exams for Dyslexia and Dyspraxia, although I didn't actually need it in my first exams at University. I've now though got 3 pieces of work to do over the Easter holidays and I'm getting really stressed about it. It's one piece from each module I'm doing. Has anyone had experiance in these circumstances in getting an extension? Whilst i've had some overlap before it's the first time i've had more than one bit of work due in at the same time. I'm particularly finding the reseach hard as I've got a lot of things to go through for each, although one book is relevant to two of the pieces. Doesn't help that I was getting a bit worn out before the holiday so was looking forward to a break, and i've got a few other things to do too.
Reply 1
Your department(s) should be symapthetic and allow extensions. I've recehived an extension before, and all I needed to do was email the departmental admistrator and the department's chair on the board of examiners and it was granted within a few hours.

You should contact your department as soon as possible, as you need to get it arranged as early as possible (and it will also hopefully put your mind to rest). Contact an appropriate member of staff in your department (tutor or secretary) as well as any contact in the disability service you have.
Reply 2
You must get help. It just isn't fair not to give special consideration in cases like yours. Contact the person in charge, tell them about it, and hopefully they should fix it (I'm pretty sure they will). Don't stress... Hope it gets better soon :smile:
Reply 3
I'm sure it will be fine also, i've only recently been diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia and i'm in my sixth year as a student! Previously getting an extension was like getting blood out of a stone (i was refused an extension after my Grandfather died for example and wasn't allowed to miss an exam to go to his funeral).

But since my diagnosis it hasn't been a problem. For my last essay i had major library problems, i took books out six weeks before the deadline to start my planning only for them to be recalled a week later and noone returned them until the day before the deadline. i emailed my lecturer well in advance to tell him about the problems i was having finding books and told him how I'd tried to get it down early by taking out books well in advance only to have them recalled. He was obviously aware by way of this email that i was panicking in the weeks leading up to the deadline and then an informal chat after a lecture saw me getting a two weeks extension and filling the 'extension request' form as little more than a formality. I didn't need the full too weeks but having the extra time meant that i wasn't stressing out too much over the deadline.

If you do have any problems with your department, speak to your disability service at your uni and they will support your request and put pressure on your department.

Every uni is different in how they do things, and even departments within a uni can differ hugely. There are some departments in durham that get dyslexia students to put a sticker on their essay so the marker knows not to judge their structure, spelling, grammar etc, whereas my department dont and the papers are anonymous so i still end up losing the marks i did before - c'est le vie!

Quick Reply

Latest