Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books with shocking endings/brilliant/weird/odd twists?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So recently I read 'A Sense of an Ending' and was quite taken with the ending, which was pretty unexpected and seemed to come out of nowhere - which ofcourse it didn't, but was written so well that you would never expect it, unless you were looking out for the signs.

Anyway, this got me thinking, what books would people recommend that have this kind of plot twist? Seemingly unexpected, but brilliantly crafted... and preferably well written?

Thoughts?

Edit: No murder mysteries/detective stories. I'm talking genuine twists, cropping out of nowhere.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sornop)
    So recently I read 'A Sense of an Ending' and was quite taken with the ending, which was pretty unexpected and seemed to come out of nowhere - which ofcourse it didn't, but was written so well that you would never expect it, unless you were looking out for the signs.

Anyway, this got me thinking, what books would people recommend that have this kind of plot twist? Seemingly unexpected, but brilliantly crafted... and preferably well written?

Thoughts?
    Polar opposite of what you were looking for, but I had to contribute.

Once read a book that actually ended with a short chapter of about 3 paragraphs, that was the final part of a 3 book series.

"And he woke up on a train, and it was all a dream" was the gist of it.

I got mad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder has a pretty good twist at the end.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was not expecting the ending of The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Polar opposite of what you were looking for, but I had to contribute.

Once read a book that actually ended with a short chapter of about 3 paragraphs, that was the final part of a 3 book series.

"And he woke up on a train, and it was all a dream" was the gist of it.

I got mad.
    Definitely not that kind of shock ending, that would just be frustrating... especially having read three whole books of it...! Out of curiosity, what was the book?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inadilemma)
    I was just about to mention this book, it was such a surprising ending! Didn't see it coming at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Padfootismine)
    I was just about to mention this book, it was such a surprising ending! Didn't see it coming at all.
    I didn't like it at all at first! It was only a few days later when I was thinking about it that I think I realised what it was supposed to symbolise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder has a pretty good twist at the end.
    I remember starting that, and then eventually getting a bit tired with all the philosophy... though I did enjoy my Philosophy A Level, fun times.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like it at all at first! It was only a few days later when I was thinking about it that I think I realised what it was supposed to symbolise.
    Fab, think I might give this a try! Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paul Auster - New York Trilogy. There's no one overriding twist at the end but the whole thing is quite twisty. And uncanny.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Overheard in a Dream by Torey Hayden. The story itself is pretty average (IMO) but the last page and the last line are a brilliant twist - it literally makes you question the entire story!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No problem - it's one of those books that you either really like or really hate. I personally really like it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?

Edit: No murder mysteries/detective stories. I'm talking genuine twists, cropping out of nowhere.
    And Then There Were None ( originally titled as "Ten Little *******", however, later changed in the UK and US due to reasons which I believe you can understand ) by Agatha Christie.

You never see the ending coming. It's completely out of nowhere. And the twist is literally like in the last two or three pages of the book.

Everyone who had read this among my friends have really given it huge praise for the unpredictable twist at the end.

Absolute masterpiece !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arsi123)
    And Then There Were None ( originally titled as "Ten Little *******", however, later changed in the UK and US due to reasons which I believe you can understand ) by Agatha Christie.

You never see the ending coming. It's completely out of nowhere. And the twist is literally like in the last two or three pages of the book.

Everyone who had read this among my friends have really given it huge praise for the unpredictable twist at the end.

Absolute masterpiece !
    Not too sure about Agatha Christie books, think I tried reading the Orient Express and just couldn't get through it... but thanks, may give it another shot and try this one
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Walking Dead - Rise of the Governor :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just a warning, it can be a little gruesome at parts; there is abuse of animals and death of children. But if you can stomach all this, it is truly a fantastic book, and these scenes aren't too descriptive anyway.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure about Agatha Christie books, think I tried reading the Orient Express and just couldn't get through it... but thanks, may give it another shot and try this one
    Trust me on this one, this one is an absolute must to read.

It was recommended to me by a friend, and I just love the book for the incredible twist at the end. All my others friends love this book too.

They've made about 6 films on this book ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the one i was going to mention, beat me to it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you should must try james hadley chase
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily an ending but the Song of Ice and Fire books provide plenty of 'WTF did that really just happen' moments.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.