Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books with shocking endings/brilliant/weird/odd twists?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Life of Pi
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inadilemma)
    I was not expecting the ending of The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.
    That was exactly my thought when I saw this thread.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sornop)
    I remember starting that, and then eventually getting a bit tired with all the philosophy... though I did enjoy my Philosophy A Level, fun times.
    I know what you mean - the first time I read it, at the tender age of 13, I found the philosophy sections a bit dull. But after a few readings I learned to appreciate the book as a whole, and the plot gets very interesting towards the end. It's a great book, really, as it gets better every time you read it.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it was "Sister" or something that I read recently. Excellently written. It's a murder mystery of sorts, a girl's sister (well, she's really more of a lady, anyway) dies and her sister comes back for the funeral and stuff, and becomes obsessed with finding out the circumstances of her death. But the twist at the end...fantastic. I read it and went "That's amazing, how did I miss that?!"

I was rather shocked at the end of The Knife of Never Letting Go. Felt a bit like I had been caught on a midnight raid of the sweet cupboard, crept back to my room, opened the door and discovered my parents sitting in there ready to tell me off. Shouldn't have been surprised really but it was a great ending. Fantastic book. Enjoyed it a lot.

That's all I can think of for now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1984 blew my mind
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    I know what you mean - the first time I read it, at the tender age of 13, I found the philosophy sections a bit dull. But after a few readings I learned to appreciate the book as a whole, and the plot gets very interesting towards the end. It's a great book, really, as it gets better every time you read it.
    To be fair, now that I think about it, I think I was 14 when I first picked it up... which kinda explains my reaction. Might pick it up again soon, thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I think it was "Sister" or something that I read recently. Excellently written. It's a murder mystery of sorts, a girl's sister (well, she's really more of a lady, anyway) dies and her sister comes back for the funeral and stuff, and becomes obsessed with finding out the circumstances of her death. But the twist at the end...fantastic. I read it and went "That's amazing, how did I miss that?!"

I was rather shocked at the end of The Knife of Never Letting Go. Felt a bit like I had been caught on a midnight raid of the sweet cupboard, crept back to my room, opened the door and discovered my parents sitting in there ready to tell me off. Shouldn't have been surprised really but it was a great ending. Fantastic book. Enjoyed it a lot.

That's all I can think of for now.
    I hope the twist doesn't involve the sister in the murder... ? (Don't tell me either way, ha!) Both sound good, cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    1984 blew my mind
    I tried reading this at 17, couldn't get into it... Worth another try, you reckon?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope the twist doesn't involve the sister in the murder... ? (Don't tell me either way, ha!) Both sound good, cheers
    I couldn't possibly tell you, I can just promise that it's excellent. And they are.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tried reading this at 17, couldn't get into it... Worth another try, you reckon?
    Hell yes! I read it last year (got it round about my 16th birthday I think) and it's really really good. And the end is amazing. Great book.

Does Brave New World have a weird ending, I ask myself? The entire book is a head trip, so I'll include that. Hard to get your head around to start with but it's still brilliant.

The Picture of Dorian Grey.

Northern Lights. I certainly didn't expect the ending. I was heartbroken.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sons and Lovers, D.H Lawrence. Anyone whose read it would understand :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sister was awesome i was really surprised by the ending of boy in the striped pyjamas :eek: :cry2:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haruki Murakami's The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is just one big twist after another which in my view makes for awesome reading.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Life of Pi
    How?? The animal metaphor he made up at the end??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Hell yes! I read it last year (got it round about my 16th birthday I think) and it's really really good. And the end is amazing. Great book.

Does Brave New World have a weird ending, I ask myself? The entire book is a head trip, so I'll include that. Hard to get your head around to start with but it's still brilliant.

The Picture of Dorian Grey.

Northern Lights. I certainly didn't expect the ending. I was heartbroken.
    You should read the other two books in the trilogy (the subtle knife and the amber spyglass), The ending to The Amber Spyglass really gives you that empty upsetting feeling you getfrom some books...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    We Need To Talk About Kevin has a slight twist at the end that completely took me by surprise. It was quite upsetting really. :teehee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    kurt vonnegut - sirens of titan. (GREAT BOOK)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forget that)
    How?? The animal metaphor he made up at the end??
    Well yeah obviously, the bit where he tells the Japanese the "real" story *avoids spoilers*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Well yeah obviously, the bit where he tells the Japanese the "real" story *avoids spoilers*
    I would say that was kind of a surprise but not really a twist as such... if you want a twist you should read his 'Beatrice and Vigil' work, that's got such a good ending... in a sad way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graciegirl)
    sister was awesome i was really surprised by the ending of boy in the striped pyjamas :eek: :cry2:
    Yeah I've read the boy in the striped pyjamas... that's the kinda shock ending i'm going for.. I loved the book, but oh god that end.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.