Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on Traveling to Japan for First Time?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys =)

I've been accepted to go on a 3 week study course in Kyoto in the summer. The stay will include 2 weeks in a hotel and a week of homestay with a Japanese family. I'm really not sure what to expect while I'm there! Can anyone give me an insight?

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in Japan and I can tell you that you will love it! Although I lived in Tokyo, I visited Kyoto once and found it to be a really pleasant city One of the first things you will notice is how incredibly friendly, helpful, and polite Japanese people are. You won't really have a lot of trouble going around if you don't speak Japanese, but obviously learning the basics would probably be smart :P Japan is really quite safe and I never felt unsafe even walking around late at night alone. I don't really know what else to tell you haha, but feel free to ask any specific questions that you have!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherperson)
    I used to live in Japan and I can tell you that you will love it! Although I lived in Tokyo, I visited Kyoto once and found it to be a really pleasant city One of the first things you will notice is how incredibly friendly, helpful, and polite Japanese people are. You won't really have a lot of trouble going around if you don't speak Japanese, but obviously learning the basics would probably be smart :P Japan is really quite safe and I never felt unsafe even walking around late at night alone. I don't really know what else to tell you haha, but feel free to ask any specific questions that you have!
    Thank you, I've been studying Japanese for about 6 months now so I know a few basics . I've heard the people are very friendly too, I'm just worried about offending someone somehow, especially when living with a family for a week!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    kyoto is a lovely city but if you visit osaka (tis very nearby) remember one thing, when leaving the train station make sure your using the right exit! The city outside of the north exit looks exactly the same as the south exit :<
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cursley)
    Thank you, I've been studying Japanese for about 6 months now so I know a few basics . I've heard the people are very friendly too, I'm just worried about offending someone somehow, especially when living with a family for a week!!
    Haha don't worry, in Japan people are very understanding towards foreigners not always knowing some of the customs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your thinking is best to Japan for first time.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you`re in Kyoto make sure to visit Nara and Osaka ^^
    The family will know that you are not accustomed to their way of life, so just do a little research perhaps on how to take a bath (as often the family shared bath water etc.) and take a gift! It`s polite ^^

I don`t have much experience of Kyoto, though I have been there. I spend most of my time when I`m in Japan in the south.

It will be an amazing experience!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.