Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hunger Games

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well i've heard a lot about these books and the film so i was just stuck trying to decide whether to read the books and then watch the film or watch the film first? If I read the books first and then watch the film i will be comparing the film to the book like i did with twilight and not enjoying it all. But if i watch the film first the plot of the books will be ruined. Btw if anyone has seen the film or read the books feel free to comment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was advised to read the book first, as you may not understand parts of the film without reading the book. Also, some bits in the film are different!

Ughh I am doing my gcses next year and actually cba to read, lool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But if you're a lazy person like me, just watch the film xD
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely read the books! I read the first two last week and they're really good - I was completely hooked on them. And if you don't read them and just watch the film first, you'll miss out on having your own imagination of everything, which if you read the books afterwards, would make the experience not as good. I think everyone should read them...I'm a little bit obsessed with them at the moment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would fully reccomend reading the book first.

It's a very short book and shouldn't take too long to read, and you'll probably agree that it's much better than the film. Someone who I went to see the movie with hadn't read the book, and he told me there were some parts of the film which he didn't really understand, which is understandable as I felt that the movie went at a much faster pace than the book did, and so quite a few important parts were missed out in my opinion, as well as a few things about the original story being changed. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only seen the film but it's probably a good idea to read the book. The film doesn't bother explaining much.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    myself and my boyfriend saw the film first (id been planning on reading the books but not got round to it yet he hadnt heard of it at all) were both now reading the books
    i love them, there are quite a few differences, the bloke does aswell, despite his "never see a film before reading the book rule" :P

i didnt find the film hard to understand at all... and ok so im reading the same thing again but with more and id read them again anyway, they are very good... possibly my new favourites ! (reading them e version at the moment.. getting the proper paper books for my birthday )
    i think doing it this way stops me being disappointed in the film which is what usually happens...

x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read book first then saw film, girlfriend just saw film. Think I got a lot more out of the film from it, and means I'm excited about reading/seeing next ones, where as girlfriend not so bothered
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, several of my friends went to see it without reading them and it was absolutely fine for them - no problems understanding or anything. And they thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I read them first and enjoyed it too.

I would read first because there are a few things left out/added in and you'll probably understand what's happening slightly faster. I didn't compare it to the book - and of my friends who did we were all still thoroughly impressed.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am watching the movie this Wednesday

Woo to orange Wednesdays!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Watch the film first, my friend did and loved it.

I had already read the books and was constantly picking apart the (inevitable) bits that were different.
    (also inevitably) I was slightly disappointed with the film. But the books are amazing, so definitely read them at some point!

(the dialogue in the film was sometimes slightly cheesy coz they had to explain things through conversations rather than in 'Katniss' thoughts' (the narrative in the book) )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    BOOKS. If a book has been made into a film, the answer is always book first
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read the books several years earlier, and I think you should read them before watching the film.

If you worried about missing watching it in cinema (which you really should do for this movie in particular) then just read the first book, then film, then read the next ones.

The film doesn't go into the same depth that the book does, about the backstory and why certain districts are tougher than others, so it's definitely worth getting yourself grounded beforehand
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Read the book first, explains the story and characters in far greater detail so you can sit back and enjoy the film without asking any questions
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hunger game is very nice movie...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would normally read the book before watching the movies but its annoying when the books are in so much more detail and the film doesn't compare to the book like most films/movies.. but ohwell... film was still great.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadiya M)
    Well i've heard a lot about these books and the film so i was just stuck trying to decide whether to read the books and then watch the film or watch the film first? If I read the books first and then watch the film i will be comparing the film to the book like i did with twilight and not enjoying it all. But if i watch the film first the plot of the books will be ruined. Btw if anyone has seen the film or read the books feel free to comment
    I havent seen the films, but ive read the first one and halfway through the second one. Read the books! Trust me, my friends have seen the film and then they read the book and the film missed out a lot of stuff so read the books! They are amazing, and much better than Twilight (p.s. i dont like twilight )

Read!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched the film first, then read the books. I preferred it that way because the book was slightly different from the film so you don't know what completely to expect, and i wasn't comparing the film either just reading the books. I do recommend reading all the books though! They're really good. If you go to The Works you can get all three for £7.99 too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    relative comparison

book - 100
    movie 22.345

trust me

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2013
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.