Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is a friend to you?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    So looking through some of the threads in the section, some people have issues, etc.

I thinking about this, one dictionary definition of what a friend is a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

But people have different views on what makes a friend or who you can call a friend. You have the different expectations who reaches a standard to be considered who is your friend.

So what makes a person a friend to you?
    What are your expectations?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Someone to hug when I'm feeling glum.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone willing to be around to talk to, always care about, vice versa and someone who is just like a family....who you always have sort of connection with. Even when there's nothing talk about they'll always try to create a conversation when they see you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    So looking through some of the threads in the section, some people have issues, etc.

I thinking about this, one dictionary definition of what a friend is a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

But people have different views on what makes a friend or who you can call a friend. You have the different expectations who reaches a standard to be considered who is your friend.

So what makes a person a friend to you?
    What are your expectations?
    Someone who follows this: Treat others the way you'd like to be treated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, a friend is someone I can play football, basketball or playstation with. Oh and talk about girls.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A friend in needs a friend indeed,
    A friend with weed is better,
    A friend with breasts and all the rest,
    A friend who's dressed in leather.

Not many Placebo fans it seems.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone that it isn't having an uncomfortable silence with.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For me, a proper friend is someone who will do things for you even when it won't benefit them in any way, someone who will come to pick you up from 10 miles away when no-one gives a **** about what happens to you.

Someone who will walk you two miles to the station at 10.30pm and know that he's got to walk back on his own. Someone who you can tell anything to without an ounce of worry that they'll tell anyone else. Someone who'll listen when you're feeling lower than ever and you don't know why.

Someone who'll call you to come out rather than you call them. Someone who introduces you to their friends rather than try and keep you separate or ignore that you're there because they've found someone else. Someone who, when you need something doing, will do it for you, no matter how it might inconvenience them.

A true friend is basically, someone who you can call upon.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longman240)
    For me, a proper friend is someone who will do things for you even when it won't benefit them in any way, someone who will come to pick you up from 10 miles away when no-one gives a **** about what happens to you.

Someone who will walk you two miles to the station at 10.30pm and know that he's got to walk back on his own. Someone who you can tell anything to without an ounce of worry that they'll tell anyone else. Someone who'll listen when you're feeling lower than ever and you don't know why.

Someone who'll call you to come out rather than you call them. Someone who introduces you to their friends rather than try and keep you separate or ignore that you're there because they've found someone else. Someone who, when you need something doing, will do it for you, no matter how it might inconvenience them.

A true friend is basically, someone who you can call upon.
    And vice-versa dont forget
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    And vice-versa dont forget
    Of course, two-way street and all that
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider a friend to be anyone I feel comfortable being completely myself around. My only expectation would be that they respect me.

A best friend, on the other hand, would be someone I genuinely care about and can rely on.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone who will help you and you will help them back.
    Someone who shows affection.

This is it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone who I can be completely honest with, and them with me, and that we accept each other for all of that (even the bad bits). And then can be there if I need them and vice versa. Better to have a few good ones than loads of not so good ones I think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    someone who`s there for you when life gets rough!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A true friend to me is someone who doesn't judge you, who accepts and likes you the way you are, flaws and all, and doesn't try to change you. Someone who respects your views and feelings. Someone who is there for you when you need them. Someone you can trust and who trusts you in return.

I find that true friends are very hard to come by.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_p)
    A true friend to me is someone who doesn't judge you, who accepts and likes you the way you are, flaws and all, and doesn't try to change you. Someone who respects your views and feelings. Someone who is there for you when you need them. Someone you can trust and who trusts you in return.

Exactly and every time you guys talk is fun and interesting and stuff
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i don't know
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Somebody who won't judge me and will always tell me the truth, even if it is harsh. Most importantly, a friend to me is somebody that I can wholeheartedly trust.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone who will suck me off no questions asked.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_p)

Very hard to come by these days!

Doesn't it seem that everyone's just out for themselves, and don't give two ****s about anyone else?!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.