:hugs:
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Ooh, lots of newbies!

I need to post here more often!
    Yes you do! We miss your lovely company otherwise! :hugs:

(Original post by LostHorizons)
    I've read the first 15 or so Psalms, they've made me feel a lot more secure are there any in particular you enjoy reading?

It occurred to me today that I've never really been to church. I went to evensong at York Minster every Sunday while I was there, but that's it. I feel a bit anxious about going for the first time, as I won't know anyone and I don't honestly know quite what to expect...
    Ah I'm not that knowledgeable about the Psalms really, just know that there are some good ones out there So I don't particularly have a favourite one :nah:

Evensong :love: I miss evensong :sadnod: I can imagine it being a bit nerve-wracking but try not to let that put you off going. Churches are usually very friendly places full of nice people and there should be cards to tell you what to say and when to stand and sit, etc. :yes:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinnLassie)
    I want to go to church, but I'm just too anxious to be in crowds right now... I would just want to listen to the organs played in the cathedral and receive the Eucharist but that's impossible, so. :emo:

This summer isn't starting good, gloomy mind and gloomy weather. :no: Sorry for bringing my gloominess here.
    Have you seen the Russian grannies? :ahee:

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Ah I'm not that knowledgeable about the Psalms really, just know that there are some good ones out there So I don't particularly have a favourite one :nah:

Evensong :love: I miss evensong :sadnod: I can imagine it being a bit nerve-wracking but try not to let that put you off going. Churches are usually very friendly places full of nice people and there should be cards to tell you what to say and when to stand and sit, etc. :yes:
    Fair enough

Mm, there were little cards telling you what to say etc at evensong, but then that was in the Minster so I dunno if just small churches would have that too? Failing all else I'm going to tag along with my Christian friend when she gets back from uni
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

Mm, there were little cards telling you what to say etc at evensong, but then that was in the Minster so I dunno if just small churches would have that too? Failing all else I'm going to tag along with my Christian friend when she gets back from uni
    Hopefully they would. Most Catholic churches do but then we changed all the words in September, so they need the cards there for people like me :rofl:

Going with a friend might make you feel less nervous :yes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read the first 15 or so Psalms, they've made me feel a lot more secure are there any in particular you enjoy reading?

It occurred to me today that I've never really been to church. I went to evensong at York Minster every Sunday while I was there, but that's it. I feel a bit anxious about going for the first time, as I won't know anyone and I don't honestly know quite what to expect...
    You could try a reading plan? There are quite a few websites of daily reading plans (but you can dip in and out, you don't have to read every day). My favourite is www.youversion.com
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I need to post here more often!
    You do!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Give it a go and see what happens. Don't be put off if you hate it either - there are a lot of different types of services and churches. Some people like services which are really informal, with lots of singing modern songs and waving your hands in the air. Some people love traditional liturgy (I'm definitely a liturgy person myself, the more 'evangelical' style of service makes me very uncomfortable and is not my thing at all, but give me hymns and traditional Anglican responses and I'm instantly at home), like Evensong or Holy Communion services. It's about finding what suits you and not worrying if you go to a service and hate it, because different people do find different things useful.

Also, :love: York Minster. Only been once, but it's such a beautiful building.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EEngWillow)
    You do!

Yes you do! We miss your lovely company otherwise! :hugs:

Working on it!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you maybe hide at the back of your church, a bit removed from the congregation? :hugs:
    Well doing that would make me feel a bit of a freak, all alone in the corner. I always like to sit as front as possible, the back seats are usually filled with mums with their weans. And going to Eucharist with all those people, I don't know. Just not comfy. :emo:

(Original post by Mazzini)
    Have you seen the Russian grannies? :ahee:

I'm Finnish, you think I like anything Russian? :nothing: Joking of course, but I yes I've heard them and I find them just as horrifying as Jedward.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well doing that would make me feel a bit of a freak, all alone in the corner. I always like to sit as front as possible, the back seats are usually filled with mums with their weans. And going to Eucharist with all those people, I don't know. Just not comfy. :emo:

I'm Finnish, you think I like anything Russian? :nothing: Joking of course, but I yes I've heard them and I find them just as horrifying as Jedward.
    Ah I forgot all the mums and babies would be at the back. Yeah, that'd be enough to do your head in, all that crying Poor suggestion on my part

Is there a quieter, less popular service you could go to? :console:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Working on it!
    :jumphug: In fairness you are on PRSOM for me atm, so it can't have been toooo long since you were last here!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL

I've heard about you lot and your winter war against Russia in 1940... Tough little bunch you are :lol:

They're far better than Jedward, aren't they? :eek:

Jedward are just annoying, but the Russian grannies are cool
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Give it a go and see what happens. Don't be put off if you hate it either - there are a lot of different types of services and churches. Some people like services which are really informal, with lots of singing modern songs and waving your hands in the air. Some people love traditional liturgy (I'm definitely a liturgy person myself, the more 'evangelical' style of service makes me very uncomfortable and is not my thing at all, but give me hymns and traditional Anglican responses and I'm instantly at home), like Evensong or Holy Communion services. It's about finding what suits you and not worrying if you go to a service and hate it, because different people do find different things useful.

Also, :love: York Minster. Only been once, but it's such a beautiful building.
    I think I would definitely prefer more traditional services (I loved loved loved evensong every time I went). I think my friend's a catholic, so I dunno how much difference that's likely to make (I've really not given any thought at all to denominations yet), but I'll definitely go with an open mind

York Minster is indeed awesome I haven't been for a few weeks and am really missing it at the moment.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I would definitely prefer more traditional services (I loved loved loved evensong every time I went). I think my friend's a catholic, so I dunno how much difference that's likely to make (I've really not given any thought at all to denominations yet), but I'll definitely go with an open mind

York Minster is indeed awesome I haven't been for a few weeks and am really missing it at the moment.
    There are a few big differences between Catholicism and Anglicanism. You can go along to her service and see how you find it but if you really like evensong, you might like to stick with that for the time being, whilst you're finding your (Christian) feet, so to speak
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

I've only been to a Catholic service once - it was a long time ago. I liked the actual service but there were two things that I found strange/upsetting.

1) The priest rushed through really really quickly. There was no appreciation of the power of silence (I'm about 90% Anglican, 10% Quaker!) and no time for reflection or pauses for thought. It was in Ireland, and it just felt like the priest was a caricature from Father Ted. That might have just been him though - I've been to Anglican services like that too, so it's nothing against Catholicism at all. Good liturgy is difficult to beat, liturgy done badly can be awful though

2) I wasn't allowed the bread and wine because I'm not Catholic. I find that a really, really difficult thing.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I've only been to a Catholic service once - it was a long time ago. I liked the actual service but there were two things that I found strange/upsetting.

1) The priest rushed through really really quickly. There was no appreciation of the power of silence (I'm about 90% Anglican, 10% Quaker!) and no time for reflection or pauses for thought. It was in Ireland, and it just felt like the priest was a caricature from Father Ted. That might have just been him though - I've been to Anglican services like that too, so it's nothing against Catholicism at all. Good liturgy is difficult to beat, liturgy done badly can be awful though
    Irish services are notoriously quick, from what my British Irish friends tell me :yes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Irish services are notoriously quick, from what my British Irish friends tell me :yes:
    Yeah, I kind of got the impression he was rushing through it as quickly as possible so everyone could get to the pub... (Not to be hopelessly stereotypical or anything!)

The civil partnership blessing I went to yesterday was such a beautiful service. I was almost in tears at several points. Seeing two of the most amazing people I've ever had the fortune to meet making such a commitment to each other was very moving, and as they're both even fonder of liturgy than I am, it was such a well written service, with some of my favourite hymns.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are a few big differences between Catholicism and Anglicanism. You can go along to her service and see how you find it but if you really like evensong, you might like to stick with that for the time being, whilst you're finding your (Christian) feet, so to speak
    I don't really know much about the differences between different denominations at the moment, so I suppose it'll be good for me to go to lots of different services to get a feel for them

(Original post by d123)

2) I wasn't allowed the bread and wine because I'm not Catholic. I find that a really, really difficult thing.
    That doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience at all
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know much about the differences between different denominations at the moment, so I suppose it'll be good for me to go to lots of different services to get a feel for them

That doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience at all
    Yeah, I hadn't thought about what a horrible feeling having to sit there while everyone else was receiving the Eucharist would be.

And yeah, trying out lots of different services is probably a good idea See what suits you best!
Updated: July 21, 2013
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.