Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Greatest Ancient Civilisation?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Favourite Ancient Civilisation?
    Ancient Egypt
    7.63%
    Ancient Greece
    30.51%
    Ancient Rome
    31.36%
    Ancient Babylon
    13.56%
    Ancient Israel
    0.85%
    Assyria
    2.54%
    Ancient Persia
    5.08%
    Ancient China
    8.47%

• 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of those...I have no idea, I wish he had more actual students of the ancient world on here though.

The choice is unusually good, I choose Babylon as a representation of Mesopotamia but I'm really leaning towards Assyria now.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sigh the idea of Cyrus = human rights is a tedious one and thankfully not one actual historians indulge in. http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrus_I/cyrus_cylinder.html

Its pretty well known, or rather getting well known, that the destruction of Persepolis was basically on religious grounds given the odd use of ritual space by the previous kings and Alexander's myriad of problems (from both sides) in attempting to take of the ksashy- **** it transliterating ancient persian is too impossible. Either way it was a cold and genius gesture on his behalf, however barbaric.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShredMaster)
    You just don't like being told that Greece is inferior to most other Ancient empires. Run along yourself, muffin muncher.
    Hahaha, I couldn't give a flying **** about Greece! Egypt is where it's at (as I say in my OP, it was the greatest IMO- reading is a wonderful gift, if you have it, which it doesn't seem you do, best to use it!)

But if you all you kiddies suddenly have a eureka moment when you link the Greco-Roman civilisation to our current one, don't come on here and share it. I already know, and I don't care! This is about what people think is the greatest civilisation, not which one is most like ours!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Hahaha, I couldn't give a flying **** about Greece! Egypt is where it's at (as I say in my OP, it was the greatest IMO- reading is a wonderful gift, if you have it, which it doesn't seem you do, best to use it!)

But if you all you kiddies suddenly have a eureka moment when you link the Greco-Roman civilisation to our current one, don't come on here and share it. I already know, and I don't care! This is about what people think is the greatest civilisation, not which one is most like ours!
    He was mocking the idea. Please learn reading comprehension....
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShredMaster)
    He was mocking the idea. Please learn reading comprehension....
    Perhaps if you'd bothered to read the OP you wouldn't make yourself look like an idiot in future?

Just a thought...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Humbly suggest rephrase question "Greatest civilisation in the Old World?" if possible. Not so bothered about the whole Old World thing so will go with the Mayans who did extremely well in terms of development especially given their comparative isolation with mesopotamia for example.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rome had its legacy, but Greeks were the originals
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indus Valley of course :P </bias>

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.