Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

China or Vietnam...travel advice wanted.

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of working out what I want to do in the summer. In an ideal world, after uni exams, I would fly out to China, spend 2 weeks with my friend and her mum who are there for the whole summer, and then travel to Vietnam and say with my uncle and his family, who live in Hanoi, for 2 weeks. Then fly back home.

However if (as is looking likely) the flights for this multi destination trip end up being too expensive, I will have to choose which one I will be able to do.

So basically, based on your knowledge of travelling and of Asia in general (I've never been), what do you think sounds best?

Option 1
    2 weeks in China. Would involve travelling around a bit and seeing sights with two of my friends who I get on relatively well with, and one of their mothers, who is Chinese. Would stay in hotels but she has a lot of friends that would let us stay for discounted rates.

Option 2
    3 weeks in Vietnam. Wouldn't have to pay for accommodation , but it would just be me, my aunt, uncle and cousin, who is 14. Uncle said he would take me places and show me sights. Has lots of friends that I could stay with if I wanted to explore on my own, and a driver so I could get to places.

BASICALLY
    What sounds better?

China for 2 weeks with friends

OR

Vietnam by myself to stay with family for 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you've already been to Vietnam since you have family there why not try China? It's incredibly cheap if you live local and a great experience. Where about would you go? Beijing/Shanghai (ie urban areas) or the more rural areas. China is a huge country and two weeks is a short amount of time.

Background: I've lived in Beijing for three years. Love it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Does depend whereabouts your going Like I'd hate to be in Shanghai for 2 weeks, but there are plenty of places in China that would be amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well i think the price to fly from China to VN isn't too expensive or you could go by coach from China to VN and experience the north VN.Also, i would suggest that you better go with someone if you choose VN..The traffic is very terrible and a lot of things can happen(people in Hanoi usually double the price for tourists)
    If you choose VN and need help i fell please to answer
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not do both? Air Asia are a low cost carrier out there and I'm sure they will have what you need.
    • 10 followers

It's possible to travel between Vietnam and China by train. Factoring in the hotel costs you will save by getting sleeper trains, it might be an option worth considering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    MATE!! , VIETNAM IS A MUST SEE PLACE IN THE WORLD.

IT'S WORTH THE TRIP, TRUST ME. SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS EVEN WEIRD AND UNIQUE IN VIETNAM.
    NICE PEOPLE, NICE FOODS AS WELL.

Head to Hanoi this summer, recommended, I swear!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you're going in China.

If it's places like Beijing, Shangdong, Guangxi, Anhui, Yunnan etc.. then yes! although two weeks is a very short time, especially with the huge distances you need to travel.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.