The Student Room Group

Where do people stand on the 'Thigh gap' situation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
:rofl:
Or
now brace yourself for this...
....you are fairly heavy with a high body fat %. The fact that you quote your bmi reinforces your lack of knowledge when it comes to fitness.
Many female athletes won't have it because of muscle. The fact that you compare yourself to them with a body fat % of 20% is just laughable.

Hmm and how do you know that I have a high or low body fat. The mere fact that you said that athletes don't have leg gap proves that your statement that people who don't have leg gap are fat and overweight. Again think before you post

Plus I think a few pictures in order to prove you wrong is needed. I don't care what you think but there is no way I look like this if my body fat was too high. Plus if you think I'm still fat then you need to go and get your head examined.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chrisateen
Hmm and how do you know that I have a high or low body fat. The mere fact that you said that athletes don't have leg gap proves that your statement that people who don't have leg gap are fat and overweight. Again think before you post

Plus I think a few pictures in order to prove you wrong is needed. I don't care what you think but there is no way I look like this if my body fat was too high. Plus if you think I'm still fat then you need to go and get your head examined.

:facepalm2:

Not true. I'm 10st 10lbs at 5ft 10 (giving me a BMI of around 21.5) exercise 4 times a week (doing cardio and lifting heavy weight). My body fat is around 20% ...

That is how I know...because you told me.

Answer me this. Is it more likely in a country which has an obesity crisis that someone won't have a gap because of being fat, or because they are a pro athlete?

Well I seem to have hit a nerve.
I never said you were fat, just heavy, and seeing from your build and muscle mass, this certainly would be a fair comment.

That is how I know...because you told me.

Answer me this. Is it more likely in a country which has an obesity crisis that someone won't have a gap because of being fat, or because they are a pro athlete?

Well I seem to have hit a nerve.
I never said you were fat, just heavy, and seeing from your build and muscle mass, this certainly would be a fair comment.

:confused: how is 20% body fat as a woman too high???

Ok so explain this why is it that not all slim healthy people have a gap between their legs. Or is why is it that people like Naomi Campbell who is a supermodel does not have a gap between her legs?

naomi.jpg

Yes obesity is a problem in the UK and is probably one of the reasons why some people do not have a gap between their legs but to say that all people who do not have a gap is fat is stupid. Some women can't have a gap between their legs because their hips are not wide enough and their bodies are not naturally built this way so even if they are skin and bones they still won't have a gap between their legs

Plus I'm interested to know what you mean by the word heavy? How is that different from being fat?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by breebeatdown
when i was 18 i had amazing legs and a nice little 'thigh gap'. They never rubbed together as i walked or touched as i was standing like normal. I know as you get older your body changes and that but now as soon as i'm standing they touch and i don't think it looks nice (they don't rub as i walk though) i've asked people before about what they think about 'thigh gaps' and they aren't really fussed about them.

I just want to hear other people opinions on them and hopefully someone can help me change my mind. This could all just be in my head..

I want a thigh gap! :frown:

I was thinking of eating now, but now I'm not. Or tomorrow morning.
(edited 12 years ago)
:rofl:
Or
now brace yourself for this...
....you are fairly heavy with a high body fat %. The fact that you quote your bmi reinforces your lack of knowledge when it comes to fitness.
Many female athletes won't have it because of muscle. The fact that you compare yourself to them with a body fat % of 20% is just laughable.

20% body fat is top of athlete range for women. Please go educate yourself.
Not true. I'm 10st 10lbs at 5ft 10 (giving me a BMI of around 21.5) exercise 4 times a week (doing cardio and lifting heavy weight). My body fat is around 20% and I don't have a thigh gap simply because I don't have naturally wide hips.

Lots of female athletes e.t.c don't have it either.

Think before you post next time

Precisely. I'm also 20% body fat with muscular thighs, yet I have a thigh gap because of my wider set pelvis. Everyone is built differently and no matter how fit or lean you are, there are certain factors that are determined by genetics.
Reply 66
It annoys me how girls always want to achieve legs without the gap. I personally think it makes you look ill and girls with nice, toned legs look better without a gap.
Just as long as the gap isn't filled with a massive penis, I'm pretty cool with it.

Smaller penises (peni?) are less frightening :ninja:
Original post by StressReliever
Precisely. I'm also 20% body fat with muscular thighs, yet I have a thigh gap because of my wider set pelvis. Everyone is built differently and no matter how fit or lean you are, there are certain factors that are determined by genetics.

Thank you that's all I was trying to say in the first place.

:ditto: ignore him as he has no clue about what he is saying. Hence why he didn't reply to my last post. Anyone who thinks 20% bodyfat (for a woman) is too high either knows nothing about fitness or thinks women should look like a skeleton.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jodly.X
It annoys me how girls always want to achieve legs without the gap. I personally think it makes you look ill and girls with nice, toned legs look better without a gap.

I wouldn't go as far as to say people look ill with it - that's the way some girls are naturally, just like some girls are naturally skinny. There's nothing 'unhealthy' about them.
Thank you that's all I was trying to say in the first place.

:ditto: ignore him as he has no clue about what he is saying. Hence why he didn't reply to my last post. Anyone who thinks 20% bodyfat (for a woman) is too high either knows nothing about fitness or thinks women should look like a skeleton.

Just wanted to set him straight on the matter.

P.S. You look excellent :smile:
Just wanted to set him straight on the matter.

P.S. You look excellent :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Really? I thought it would be lower :holmes: That must mean the average 16-25 girl is like 30% bodyfat?
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Really? I thought it would be lower :holmes:

14-20% is athlete range according to the American Council on Exercise.

That must mean the average 16-25 girl is like 30% bodyfat?

Most probably.
Really? I thought it would be lower :holmes: That must mean the average 16-25 girl is like 30% bodyfat?

Depends on the sport as for some sports too low of a bodyfat can reduce performance e.g swimmers tend to have higher body fat than long distance runners. Also remember that athletes have higher body fat than bodybuilders and fitness models.

Got this chart online

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg
Original post by im so academic
I want a thigh gap! :frown:

I was thinking of eating now, but now I'm not. Or tomorrow morning.

Oh grow up
Reply 76
I have one, but I've not thought much about it before. I'm 5'8, size 8-10 and skinny-fat (currently working on that). I guess I just have wide-set hips. Some girls thinner than me don't have one, while some girls fatter than me do, it's about genetics. It looks fine IMO as long as you aren't stick-thin and obviously underweight. It looks just as fine if you don't have one.
(edited 12 years ago)
"The thigh gap situation" makes it sound like a diplomatic stand-off.

Also check out this forum on bodybuilding.com which has various pictures of women at different bodyfat
I've never ever heard of "thigh gap" or thought about.

I googled it, and all the pictures of women with a thigh gap look like skinny children. Would not want.

Quick Reply

Latest