Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Homosexuals, are you offended by this? Poll

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Are you offended by this?
    I am homosexual and I am offended
    14.20%
    I am homosexual and I am not offended
    17.90%
    I am hetrosexual and I am offended
    4.94%
    I am hetrosexual and I am not offended
    62.96%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Context: you're playing COD and someone is being a camper (i.e. someone who stays in one place and operates from that place) then someone proceeds to call him either a "phaggot" or "gay" because his being a dick. Are you offended by his usages of anyone of these words?

I just want to see whether the majority of homosexuals are actually offended by words with non-homophobic intentions but homophobic connotations or whether it's just a minority within the community being loud and dramatic ().

I realize there's more than two sexual orientations but can't be asked including the others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its spelt Faggot
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just ignore them.

And then try to piss them off some more :awesome:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get offended no. Although it's sad that teenage boys can't produce more interesting insults, I rarely if ever take it as a personal attack on homosexuality.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't take those personally no, however I wish people wouldn't use them simply because it could foster a homophobic culture amongst younger children who don't understand that they're being used in a non-homophobic context. Also they're hideously unimaginative .

So yeah, I don't really know what my answer is ...
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone care what someone says to them online? Especially the pubescents of Cod.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I doubt I'll ever be offended by whatever any irritating kid on COD said. And I don't see much to be offended by if there is clearly a non-homophobic intention, as you put it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In principal it's not okay because it's through using derogatory words for homosexuals, or using words for homosexuals in a derogative way that breeds homophobia or lack of awareness of what may offend people. That or lack of care.

Basically this makes me think we need to phase out using homophobic words from our everyday cursing regardless if in the context they're meant to be homophobic or not.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't take offence. I find that those who feel the need to use words like that have the imagination of a snail, and so giving them any sort of reaction is a waste of energy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    Its spelt Faggot
    It's*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Why would anyone care what someone says to them online? Especially the pubescents of Cod.
    :yep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I don't take those personally no, however I wish people wouldn't use them simply because it could foster a homophobic culture amongst younger children who don't understand that they're being used in a non-homophobic context. Also they're hideously unimaginative .

So yeah, I don't really know what my answer is ...
    How? I've always thought it would have the opposite effect, gay is rarely used as a insult on homosexuality and used a general insult. It's removing the word from it's negative connotations and establishing new connotations. It probably has a bigger effect on the older generation considering they were present when the word was widely used a attack on homosexuals. For example, look at my usuage of the word dick. Rarely does anyone actually take offense to that word these days. It's common practice to call someone a "dick" or state they did something "dickish", same with **** (although internet feminist still get pissy about this sometimes). These words are now removed from their original sexist connotations. Heck, the word gay to describe homosexuals themselves is kind of offensive. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post36382008 That's a good post on the topic. It's not like teenagers are going to get mixed up with using a word as a insult and to describe someone's sexual orientation. After all,people commonly use the word with multiple meanings like dick for someone who did something bad and dick to describe a person's penis.

Lol, TSR not censoring dick yet censoring cu*t when they're equivalents.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    Its spelt Faggot
    Can't tell me how to spell a frecking colloquial word. And if you think it's spelt faggot because the "ph" is unnecessary then this could easily apply to many British English words so maybe we should start using American English e.g. color instead of colour.

(Original post by ohirome)
    Personally, I don't take offence. I find that those who feel the need to use words like that have the imagination of a snail, and so giving them any sort of reaction is a waste of energy.
    Does this only apply to these words or any of the variation of such insults e.g. dickhead/****er/****/bitch/wasteman/****face/anything eric cartman would say.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisu)
    Context: you're playing COD and someone is being a camper (i.e. someone who stays in one place and operates from that place) then someone proceeds to call him either a "phaggot" or "gay" because his being a dick. Are you offended by his usages of anyone of these words?

I just want to see whether the majority of homosexuals are actually offended by words with non-homophobic intentions but homophobic connotations or whether it's just a minority within the community being loud and dramatic ().

I realize there's more than two sexual orientations but can't be asked including the others.
    Do you actually think the phrase is 'I can't be asked'?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    not offended but if someone called a GAY/BI person a fag(got) then that would be offensive.. or was trying to imply someone was gay as an insult then used fag(got)...

not so much offended though as just think they are morons...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How? I've always thought it would have the opposite effect, gay is rarely used as a insult on homosexuality and used a general insult. It's removing the word from it's negative connotations and establishing new connotations.
    How do you think black people would feel if people started using the word "black" to mean bad? "That's so n****r", how do you think that would come across?

Re offence, it depends how you construe offence. Would I make a big deal out of it? No, but I'd think they were an idiot and probably think a lot less of them. No one I know uses the word gay to mean bad or lame. It simply isn't done by anyone over the age of about 14.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisu)
    Sounds like you're pushing your own agenda here. It's no coincidence that it's usually closeted homosexuals and religious fundamentalists who are pushing the idea that this use of words is totally harmless and innocent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It all depends. Rape jokes to an extent are fine
    Saying "kill the white slag" isn't necessarily racist.
    You sound like a fine piece of work Sisu
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't especially like it, it shouldn't be acceptable to turn a sexual orientation into an insult. I mean, you wouldn't get away with saying that someone was so 'Indian' or 'Cuban' in a negative light.

I suppose there are better things to get annoyed about (although I really dislike the use of faggot, not really sure why it just sounds aggressive and horrible)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.