Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's time to abolish the reputation system.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think this debate will mainly be approved by people with low reputation, and unsupported by those with high reputation.

So here's what I did. I posted as I would if I never had any reputation. I held back, I crafted my posts carefully to make sure nothing I wrote was 'neg material' and I'd always take the opportunity to post something funny for rep. I managed to get to 5 Rep bars before I thought I'd just go back to posting normally, and now I'm almost back to 3 rep bars.

People neg others simply because they don't agree with their post. The only circumstances I've seen on TSR where neg was properly given by my standards are the ones DYKWIA had received and poorly crafted, ignorant arguments. I accept people have different opinions, and if I put mine forward I'd rather someone respect my opinion instead of negg'ing it as I would them.

The system creates an entirely false atmosphere on this forum. People will hold back before posting, and obviously it works as I've proved. Yes you could argue "It's just pixel why do you care?" but subconciously people will want to get rep, and not want neg rep. People will wonder why they were negged, when nobody bothered even challenging them.

"The Reputation system on The Student Room enables members to give and receive reputation points for good posts, bad posts, or to thank a member for another reason. This can be done via two methods; personal reputation and post rating reputation."

Since when was an opinion classed as a good or bad post? I would see trolling as a bad post, and normal posts as a good post. Half the time people on TSR troll, they get rep for it because it's funny but that does not help in relation to the OP's question or problem.

If it's a simple case of agree/disagree it'd be more effective to just add a thumbs up/thumbs down for each post. TSR won't do this because they like to cling on to the fact their forum is 'Unique'. I've seen a few other forums with that system, or similar with the same principle.

Months ago I heard mods were looking into it.. but how hard can it be to just sort it out or remove it?
    • 21 followers

Here is a secret: most of the users who have high reps don't really care about it
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Here is a secret: most of the users who have high reps don't really care about it
    I doubt even if they did, that they'd admit to it.
    • 21 followers

(Original post by Miracle Day)
    I doubt even if they did, that they'd admit to it.
    Probably, although I'm not discounting all users with high rep though, there are probably a few who treasure it like there is no tomorrow. But to add to what I said previously, most of the users who have rep stopped caring about it in the first place. I certainly did and my rep shot up.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    snip
    Would you be happier if only pos rep could be given out? Even if it meant that you still ran the risk some people may rep you because they agree with the opinions expressed in one of your posts?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    TSR would lose money because loads of people become subs so they can check on who negged them then start getting pissy with them/neg them back... lame
    • 21 followers

(Original post by Bellissima)
    TSR would lose money because loads of people become subs so they can check on who negged them then start getting pissy with them/neg them back... lame
    I doubt it. There is more to being a sub than checking for reps.negs.

Also, TSR's income from subs is only tiny that it wouldn't even matter
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. There is more to being a sub than checking for reps.negs.

Also, TSR's income from subs is only tiny that it wouldn't even matter
    i'm sure there is but i think it's a big part of the attraction for some people.. i can think of a few who do this but i won't name names.

i didn't know it was tiny

i think rep should be abolished, some people are rep whores, both neg and pos... i've seen arguments that say "look how much pos i got on this post that means i'm right" or "look i have pos rep and you have neg (as in the gem things) that means i'm right"... not usually that obvious but it gets implied..

then again i think for a lot of people the whole rep system is what they like about tsr...

i don't see the point in it.. if someone like DYKWIA is around, negging his post isn't going to DO anything... if it's offensive just report it.
    • 21 followers

i'm sure there is but i think it's a big part of the attraction for some people.. i can think of a few who do this but i won't name names.
    I'm sure there are, but if the rep system was abolished, TSR's income would have relatively no effect.

i think rep should be abolished, some people are rep whores, both neg and pos... i've seen arguments that say "look how much pos i got on this post that means i'm right" or "look i have pos rep and you have neg (as in the gem things) that means i'm right"... not usually that obvious but it gets implied..
    where?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are, but if the rep system was abolished, TSR's income would have relatively no effect.

where?
    ok cool i stand corrected, i just didn't think TSR would do it because i thought of the money subs generate, so it's a good thing really..

around, over the time i've been here.. not gonna trawl through old posts to find it, i remember one was in the fitness section though and others just generally
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    "look i have pos rep and you have neg (as in the gem things) that means i'm right"... not usually that obvious but it gets implied..
    I've not seen this but I would lose respect for anybody who implied that. I think people are capable of knowing when someone with pos rep is saying something stupid and when someone with neg rep is saying some clever/well-reasoned.

However there is a general observable characteristic of red gemmers to be on the extreme side. Not necessarily controversial (everybody has controversial views) but to express their opinions in a deliberately provocative or stupid way. I can't say many people get multiple red gems for having well-reasoned/argued posts.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I've not seen this but I would lose respect for anybody who implied that. I think people are capable of knowing when someone with pos rep is saying something stupid and when someone with neg rep is saying some clever/well-reasoned.

However there is a general observable characteristic of red gemmers to be on the extreme side. Not necessarily controversial (everybody has controversial views) but to express their opinions in a deliberately provocative or stupid way. I can't say many people get multiple red gems for having well-reasoned/argued posts.
    i know i agree, but i have seen it implied.. and even said blatently twice (once in fitness section, can't remember the other place)

also agree with the second bit, but i don't like the "ha i'm right you're wrong" thoughts that it sometimes gives people in debates..

i liked the old system where you could give a comment, maybe if you could give a comment when you rate someone up or down/HAD to leave a comment when you do this.. it would be a bit better
    OR get rid of neg rep and just have positive.. if someone is so offensive etc. they are neg worthy, just report.
    • 21 followers

around, over the time i've been here.. not gonna trawl through old posts to find it, i remember one was in the fitness section though and others just generally
    Not sure if you are being serious here. I have been on this site longer and I have yet to come across such a post. Perhaps it happened in the old system but not on the current one.

i liked the old system where you could give a comment, maybe if you could give a comment when you rate someone up or down/HAD to leave a comment when you do this.. it would be a bit better
    you could still give comments using personal rep (only positive). tbf, the comment system was removed because it was being abused most of the time, I doubt it will be reinstated.

OR get rid of neg rep and just have positive.. if someone is so offensive etc. they are neg worthy, just report.
    Pos/neg go together like ying and yang and not all offensive comments are removable. Suggesting to remove just negs is pretty moot.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you are being serious here. I have been on this site longer and I have yet to come across such a post. Perhaps it happened in the old system but not on the current one.

you could still give comments using personal rep (only positive). tbf, the comment system was removed because it was being abused most of the time, I doubt it will be reinstated.

Pos/neg go together like ying and yang and not all offensive comments are removable. Suggesting to remove just negs is pretty moot.
    i am being serious i have seen it, the two blatant ones i remember.. one was in fitness and it was about a certain user having a lot of neg so their opinion was wrong
    and the other one was in a debate on another thread and this person had replied to the OP and got like 20pos and 10neg and they said later in thread "look how much pos rep my original post got me, people agree with me" implying that meant they were right (context)
    have seen other less obvious implications....
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Yes they do lol.

i am being serious i have seen it, the two blatant ones i remember.. one was in fitness and it was about a certain user having a lot of neg so their opinion was wrong
    and the other one was in a debate on another thread and this person had replied to the OP and got like 20pos and 10neg and they said later in thread "look how much pos rep my original post got me, people agree with me" implying that meant they were right (context)
    have seen other less obvious implications....
    Don't argue with him. On the Runescape forums mods would be demodded for speaking out against Jagex.. I'd expected a biased opinion as soon as I saw his name.

You're right. They're everywhere.
    • 21 followers

I'd expected a biased opinion as soon as I saw his name.
    huh?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the Runescape forums mods would be demodded for speaking out against Jagex.
    No **** Sherlock. You don't really want the figureheads of your fan community to be saying bad things about you.

No idea what that has to do with this thread though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The system creates an entirely false atmosphere on this forum. People will hold back before posting, and obviously it works as I've proved. Yes you could argue "It's just pixel why do you care?" but subconciously people will want to get rep, and not want neg rep. People will wonder why they were negged, when nobody bothered even challenging them.
    Ok...

'Subconsciously' some people might care about the little gems, and getting negged for over no reason could be seen as a tad annoying, but the system itself seems pretty neat.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    No **** Sherlock. You don't really want the figureheads of your fan community to be saying bad things about you.

No idea what that has to do with this thread though.
    It's why I wouldn't value a mods opinion when it comes to TSR features.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's why I wouldn't value a mods opinion when it comes to TSR features.
    You appear to be under the illusion that the existence of the reputation feature is somehow down to the influence of the mods. From a moderation stand point it would be easier to get rid of the system given it causes so much aggravation between users, and on a personal level I don't really care whether it exists or not. The primary reason that the system remains is because, despite the moans, it's an enormously popular feature among users (particularly regular users) and there would be absolute uproar if we ever tried to get rid of it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 27, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.