Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are atheists allowed to marry?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just had this thought in my head and I wanted to know other views or if I am just being silly.

Given that atheists dislike the whole church shabang, they shouldn't be allowed inside for marriages. All the atheists I know like to insult religious places so I don't really understand why do they put themselves in the situation where they have to go inside
    I think that places where atheists can get married should be built/made available or just don't allow them to get married.

My opinion. Neg away :cool:

Edit: I should actually have added "in churches" in the title. My mistake.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to get married in a church you know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Marriage brings various legal benefits, as well as being the ultimate expression of commitment, regardless of faith/ lack of.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    1 - You do not have to get married in a church.
    2 - Religion does not have any kind of ownership over the idea of marriage.
    3 - Not all atheists hate religion. We just disagree with it.
    4 - Not all atheists insult religions. We just disagree with them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Clicked on this thread thinking "what the hell, the nutter lobby really has lost it now."

Think in retrospect that you should have put "Why are atheists allowed to marry in churches
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Possibly because the church doesn't want them to "sin" any further than they already did.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is not necessarily a religious institution, it's just typically conducted in a religious context.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ...I can't even be bothered with threads like this anymore.

OP you are a moron, someone who can be bothered will illustrate why. I think you've misunderstood what marriage is.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let's look at the actual definition of 'marriage', it's the union between two people who love each other. The wedding is a celebration of that - like how you celebrate your birthday.

Read the above sentences again and see how I haven't mentioned the word 'God'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People used to get married before organised religion. Hence Atheist should have that choice.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    I think that places where atheists can get married should be built/made available or just don't allow them to get married.
    They have been built. They're called Registry Offices. I believe the majority of marriages take place in them, and nearly all atheists marry there
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Strange as it sounds, some atheists marry Christians.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just had this thought in my head and I wanted to know other views or if I am just being silly.
    Yep.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Given that atheists dislike the whole church shabang, they shouldn't be allowed inside for marriages. All the atheists I know like to insult religious places so I don't really understand why do they put themselves in the situation where they have to go inside

i agree to an extent

I think everone sould be allowed to marry no matter what.

But in terms of churches it really grates on me when Vicars marry people who arent Christians.

Because for Christianity there is the belief that marriage is only genuine in the eyes of God if it is between 2 Christians.

So basically all these vicars are just after the money/reputation? How very Christian.....

(as in marriage is right for everyone but vicars shouldnt be allowing atheists to marry in their churches because it defeats the whole point of it)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think atheists could get married in church? I suppose some may be more lenient, but I was under the impression that they usually have to be regulars at the church to get married there.

There are registry offices where atheists can get married, or other nice places (my cousin got married in a lovely converted barn, and I work at a zoo where people can get married :awesome:).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

People can marry wherever they like to an extent. Marriage is a legal contract not just a religious ceremony. I do think it is a little strange that atheists and people who ordinarily dislike church and/or religion would choose to get married there. My bf is atheist and hates religion and wouldn't dream of ever getting married in a church, he was uncomfortable to say the least being in a church for my dads funeral. We had a chaplaincy at uni and he thought he was going to melt just standing in the lobby. I don't agree that people shouldn't be allowed though. If they want to get married in church cos its traditional that's up to them or often one half of a relationship is religious and the other isn't, are you saying that just because the groom is an atheist that he can't marry a Christian bride in her church. Most of the time the couple is required to attend church services for at a least month prior to the wedding actually taking place, if they are really that against it or that determined to marry in a church that should make up their mind.

If they do not wish to marry in a church there already plenty of places for an atheist couple to get married we do not need to build more.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because marriage is not religious, and neither should the majority of churches be.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

Do you also think that atheists should be excluded from Christmas? Do you think that Sunday trading laws should not apply to us? What year do you think we should call it? In fact, what should we all the days of the week, since those all derive from pagan worship?

Certain customs eventually become ingrained in society to the point where they assume a traditional significance or pragmatic acceptance that has little to do with their roots.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.