Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Daily cost of a trip to Canada

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm just trying to get a very rough estimate on how much a trip to Canada would cost for my gap year.

I was wondering how much the cost of food/drink/hostel per day would be?

Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you staying for the whole year with a visa or what?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalfever)
    Are you staying for the whole year with a visa or what?
    I'm thinking just for a few weeks or a bit more, depending on how expensive it is. I don't really know much about how visas work :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike2niner4)
    I'm thinking just for a few weeks or a bit more, depending on how expensive it is. I don't really know much about how visas work :confused:
    You might need to get a temporary resident visa which costs around £50 or so. Then again I have heard that British nationals don't need to have a visa to visit Canada as it's part of the Commonwealth. I'll look into it and get back to you in an hour or so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    You might need to get a temporary resident visa which costs around £50 or so. Then again I have heard that British nationals don't need to have a visa to visit Canada as it's part of the Commonwealth. I'll look into it and get back to you in an hour or so.
    Excellent, no you do not need a visa to visit Canada if you are a British citizen!

Aside from that I'd assume that the flights would be around £1,000 and then if we say you're staying a month perhaps another £1,000?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You only need a visa if you intend to work/study in Canada.

Anyways I'd say that it really depends on what you want to do ad where you go. If your going to Toronto the universities offer really cheap hostel options. U of T has a hostel for international students and it's cheap, on campus and in the College area of DT. I don't remember is YorkU offers hostel accommodation in the summer months. If your going to other provinces I know that McGill, U of M, Calgary etc... all offer hostel accommodation that is cheap and central.

On a modest budget I'd say 1500 if your planning to travel around Canada I would say 2500 - 3000 because traveling domestically is really expensive. A flight from Vancouver to Toronto is anywhere from $350 - $600 and the train really isn't much cheaper...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, no you do not need a visa to visit Canada if you are a British citizen!

Aside from that I'd assume that the flights would be around £1,000 and then if we say you're staying a month perhaps another £1,000?
    Wow thanks, that's great!! Go being British! :cool: Have you been there yourself?

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with HI-Canada?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You only need a visa if you intend to work/study in Canada.

Anyways I'd say that it really depends on what you want to do ad where you go. If your going to Toronto the universities offer really cheap hostel options. U of T has a hostel for international students and it's cheap, on campus and in the College area of DT. I don't remember is YorkU offers hostel accommodation in the summer months. If your going to other provinces I know that McGill, U of M, Calgary etc... all offer hostel accommodation that is cheap and central.

On a modest budget I'd say 1500 if your planning to travel around Canada I would say 2500 - 3000 because traveling domestically is really expensive. A flight from Vancouver to Toronto is anywhere from $350 - $600 and the train really isn't much cheaper...
    That sounds good if universities put up some cheap accommodation! I'm just trying to get an idea of what is possible to plan ahead for next year but I would love to see as many places as possible, although obviously I could never see everywhere as it is so big! If I wanted to see places like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, is it best to fly between the areas?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm just trying to get a very rough estimate on how much a trip to Canada would cost for my gap year.

I was wondering how much the cost of food/drink/hostel per day would be?

Thanks!
    On the whole, Canada has a low cost of living. To put it simply, whatever you pay over here for a loaf of bread in £, you'll pay the same number, but only in $, and I think the exchange rate is something like 1.7 dollars to the pound. As for hotels, you can find them for as low as $30 a night. And that's a medium standard one, like a travelodge. Flights- £500?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good if universities put up some cheap accommodation! I'm just trying to get an idea of what is possible to plan ahead for next year but I would love to see as many places as possible, although obviously I could never see everywhere as it is so big! If I wanted to see places like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, is it best to fly between the areas?
    I'd go from Toronto, Calgary and then to Vancouver or the reverse. Id also recommend Quebec and Ottawa...even Winnipeg. :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go from Toronto, Calgary and then to Vancouver or the reverse. Id also recommend Quebec and Ottawa...even Winnipeg. :rolleyes:
    Ahhh there are just so many places to see! Are there cost differences if you stay in the city or more outside of the city?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't looked at flights yet, have a look at CanadianAffair - it's a online travel agent with really good flight deals, mostly using Air Transat (who you could check flights and book direct with). My parents just bought return flights to Vancouver from Gatwick for 300 pounds in May. When I came over in November my one way flight cost 220 pounds. The year before last I flew to Montreal and then back from Halifax for 600 pounds, pretty good considering it was June/July and with Air Canada.

I find the cost for food and drinks pretty average, in that it's a similar price to the UK, but in dollars. Petrol is a lot cheaper though, about half the price, great if you're old enough to rent a car! Hostels are around $30 for a dorm bed.

Remember, any prices you see online....ADD TAX. Catches me out all the time. If it looks too cheap, then it probably is and you've forgotten all the taxes they add on. Hate it so much!

See above....flying to Canada can be a lot cheaper than you'd think!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can hitchhike from Toronto to Vancouver in like 3 days, but only if you go in the summer, that's the cheapest way.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh there are just so many places to see! Are there cost differences if you stay in the city or more outside of the city?
    Usually it's slightly more expensive to stay in the city, but it's also much more convenient as I'm assuming you'll need to use public transport. If you're staying outside the city, your accommodation will be cheaper, but your transport cost will be higher.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CdnBrad)
    You can hitchhike from Toronto to Vancouver in like 3 days, but only if you go in the summer, that's the cheapest way.
    People actually pick up hitchhikers!?!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyK)
    As long as you're outside Toronto.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CdnBrad)
    As long as you're outside Toronto.
    Wow, hitchhiking sounds pretty scary aha!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wow, hitchhiking sounds pretty scary aha!
    It's really not scary, people are super friendly, especially on the coasts. I've hitchhike from just north of Toronto to Vancover in three days, some people even bought me dinner.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here now in Montreal on exchange food can be expensive especially fresh fruit and veg. Also when travelling quite hard to make big meals that last longer if I were to go travelling I'd budget about $25 and you'd eat comfortably for that if you're up for just eating instant noodles etc you can do it for a lot less obviously
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyK)
    Yes, I do, as long as they don't look particularly dodgy (!) Hitchhiking is pretty common where I am, on Vancouver Island. I have a friend who hitchhikes every day to work and back....she meets some really interesting people! The same friend also hitchhikes to Vancouver every few weeks or so. She often meets people on the ferry who end up offering her accommodation or at least a ride all the way to her destination. I hitchhike up the mountain I work at on days off sometimes if I'm with my boyfriend who can't take the staff bus, better than taking the car up all that way, saves the petrol!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.